Why didn't Paul write and record with George after 1970?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I hear they nearly killed each other while composing "In Spite Of All The Danger" together... hence the title.

mmars982 and majorlance like this.
  2. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The love is just bursting from that interview...

Mickey2 and kwadguy like this.
  3. Pastle

Pastle Forum Resident

I think that's it in a nutshell. I know I have friends I used to be very close to who I can't stand to be around for more than an hour or two at the most. Familiarity breeds contempt, and once somebody gets on your nerves they always seem to get on your nerves. I would guess George could only be around Paul for a limited time before he'd had enough. Look at Anthology, at times he looks like he would definitely rather be somewhere else.

4. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

"I’ve heard all them tunes anyway"... that wasn't so nice to state it that way.

Paulwalrus, Zeki and zebop like this.
  5. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Weird thing is, I get the impression that during the Get Back sessions at least, George's main gripe was, "I'll play what you want me to play" argument not withstanding, with John, not Paul. Especially at Twickenham. Although I haven't heard a lot of the sessions.

maywitch, jammincrowe and theMess like this.
  6. DockBoggs

DockBoggs Forum Resident

Ringo was on Dark Horse, Somewhere in England, and Cloud Nine.

7. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I felt sort of sad reading this. The unspoken elephant in the room is the Beatle legacy. The fact most of the world looked at them with their "Beatle Glasses" on. The fact, that he worries if he sees Paul, Ringo will feel slight. Sad, Sad.

Maybe since none of the Beatle came to see his tour, George felt free in not having to "support " his ex-band mates while they are on tour.

Also another Elephant in the room, was while "All Things Must Pass" and "My Sweet Lord" were massive hits, the middle, late seventies and eighties were not as commercially successful for Harrison as McCartney's.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Put more clearly: For a brief shining moment, around All Things Must Pass, it might have seemed to George that, post Beatles, he would achieve the same level of commercial and critical success as Paul. But that was not to be.

9. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

By all accounts Paul and George had buried whatever hatchets there were between them, and going back to early on remember that Paul was not only best man to George for his marriage to Pattie Boyd, but the only other Beatle who showed up. The creative difference tensions came later, and after them the financial issues associated with the Klein v. Eastman management battle and others. Beyond that I think it fair to say despite Lennon's issues toward the end of The Beatles that it was all along George who was most uncomfortable with being a Beatle. Yes he did work with Ringo later, but clearly his work was focused elsewhere. Probably as intended, right?

As for George and what might be perceived as his arrogance on some issues like TM, remember it was Paul who first left their sojourn with the Maharishi in India. Paul no doubt was happy to get away, and soon was saying not so nice things about the Maharishi, so I am sure there were tensions on both sides. But yes George probably did not like that Paul did that.

theMess likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No, Paul attended one of George's shows in 1974 at the Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, NY. He was in disguise though, along with Linda:

[​IMG]

11. Arnold Grove

Another photo:

[​IMG]

keyXVII, nowhereman87 and theMess like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

And last but not least:

[​IMG]

nowhereman87 and theMess like this.
  13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

i think you got bad information Arnie. That's obviously Demond Wilson and Nancy Kulp.

xilef regnu, RMB77, theMess and 3 others like this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I still have that issue. I thought it was strange because it was a bit at odds with the interviews I saw in Japan at the time. I guess it was consistent in that I got the sense that he had no interest in a musical/professional relationship, but he talked about how he had rekindled the personal relationship and how much he loved Paul. He also does so in this interview from 3:55. At the end of the day, who knows. But those interviews in Japan were good. Too bad they aren't around any more.

PonceDeLeroy and theMess like this.
  15. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

George to Paul Simon about McCartney: "Paul ruined me as a guitarist"

Watch the First US Visit and you see how dismissive Paul is of George.

Watch the Anthology and you see the bitter resentment from George to Paul.

Paul appears to have tried to set it right. George appears to have resisted.

Sounds like they buried the hatchet by the end.....who knows.

16. Arnold Grove

I knew who Demond Wilson was. But I had to look up Nancy Kulp---one of those character actors who I saw in numerous TV shows while growing up but never knew her name.

theMess and RayS like this.
  17. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

George put a lot of himself in a box for the sake of the other Beatles, up until he said he had had enough after the 1966 U. S. Tour. That bred resentment.

George also wrote a lot of the music that went into what would become officially regarded as Lennon/McCartney compositions, i. e. the guitar parts on "And I Love Her" etc. with no credit. That bred resentment.

George had a solo career where his relative lack of follow-up success vis-a-vis the juggernaut that was Paul had to nettle him, as witness his comments quoted above about having heard all the songs Paul was going to perform in concert.

I can't really understand how George took John as long as he did, more than I can't understand his negativity toward Paul.

maywitch, keyXVII and MisterPleasant like this.
  18. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I recall John saying he contributed some lines to Taxman, but what else?

19. Arnold Grove

It was easier for George to grip about Paul than about John. John was the person that they all (the other 3 Beatles) looked up to and admired from their young days. It wasn't until around 1974 or 1975 when George seemed to have soured a bit more on John.

Paulwalrus, theMess and Slokes like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Maybe the "forks and knives to eat the bacon" line in "Piggies".

21. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Piggies.

Oh, and he also gave George the "cauliflower" line in Something. :)

theMess and Kermit27 like this.
  22. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

23. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

He finally blew up at John when John stood him up for his Dark Horse Tour stop in LA, confronting Lennon in a hotel room where Lennon was staying with May Pang. But it really took a lot. John's blowing off all those Harrisong recording sessions, he's mocking George's spiritual beliefs with his original version of "Sexy Sadie," he lets Yoko dig into George's biscuits and sit in George's chair, and George winds up getting corky mad at Paul. It's like the battered wife going off at the police officer.

24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

25. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

With all the speculation about the Paul-George dynamic, George didn't seem so tight with John the last few years he was alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.