Why didn't Paul write and record with George after 1970?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

While people regularly point out John's capricious nature and his ability to contradict himself based on his mood at a given moment in Beatles history, George was often equally hard to predict. He took the high road (the Rock n Roll Hall Fame induction being a shining example) and he also took the low road. He seemed to spend equal amounts of time dismissing his Beatle past and embracing it nostalgically.

2. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

keyXVII, Zeki, wayne66 and 4 others like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The unconfirmed story is that George and John had a falling out in 1974/1975 and never resolved it, due tragically to John's death. What was the extent of the falling out won't ever be revealed properly. And at this stage, it really doesn't matter either.

theMess likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Yes, it is a bizarrely callous thing to say, when John describes George as "lost". I guess it was John's way of getting back at George for finally rejecting him (for rejecting John, that is, if the rumors of their falling out in 1974/1975 are true). John would no longer lash out and try to get into a physical fight, like he did in his youth, but he certainly could be vicious word-wise.

keyXVII and theMess like this.
  5. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

If you have read Tune In: Volume 1 by Lewisohn, you may remember it being mentioned that George and Paul never really got along from the beginning. Paul seemed to have a superiority complex wrt George by virtue of the fact that Paul was 8 months older. Seems Paul would never let George forget that. I attribute this to Paul's insecurities. Anyway, it would appear from the later spats in the late '60s over songwriting slots on albums, and the "Let It Be" film spat that this distance was never really bridged.

As far as the mid '90s collaboration was concerned (that gave us "Free As a Bird" and "Real Love"), George needed the money he was nearly bankrupt. If it wasn't for that, I doubt the mid '90s collaboration would have happened. George himself said at one point (something along the lines of) "there is no Beatles without John". So it took a really good reason for him to go back on that statement.

So given all of that, I am not surprised they did not collaborate after 1970.

notesfrom and No Bull like this.
  6. RayS

How can you say that when it's obvious from the video footage that George was delighted to be there???

7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

theMess likes this.
  8. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

They had a complicated relationship. I don't buy into those of you saying they disliked or hated each other. George came to Linda's funeral. Paul arranged for George to stay at the house in LA where he died. Paul visited George when he was dying and held his hand. They got on each other's nerves, but they had a strong relationship.

I don't see any evidence in Beatles US visit of Paul dissing George as an earlier commenter stating. I also read Tune In, and although they stress the 9 months older thing, it also talks about how Paul and George went hitchhiking together twice as teenagers and what great memories they had of those trips.

9. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Maybe George changed his mind while he was working with them. All I am saying is that --- it would appear -- that George would have not have started down that road (mid '90s collaboration) willingly. I am sure they spent enough time together prior to the video cameras running, that he could have forgotten about things, and could have gotten it together for the camera.

As I said, George needed the money (see Peter Doggett's book You Never Give Me Your Money).

10. RayS

I'm sorry, I was being facetious. I think the footage from the period shows George to be uncomfortable anytime Paul is in his vicinity. He may not have liked the idea of the project, but it seems to me that it's Paul (and not the project) that drives his discomfort. Although perhaps he is simply trying to establish a boundary, lest Paul take over the proceedings as he had in the past.

11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Haven't seen the video footage for a while, if ever (is it on Anthology?). Sorry the joke went over my head.

12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

On the other hand, I think it's very nice that John would take the time (granted he probably had a lot of free time in 1976 :p) to candidly answer these questions that a young fan sent him.

13. Arnold Grove

Which is another reason why people loved John. He could be the sweetest guy ever, and then he could also a cruel abuser. But when he was good, it must have been so good that people were able to overlook his lesser moments.

14. RayS

In fairness we had a very, very lengthy discussion about this footage a while back, and there were a number of people who didn't sense George's discomfort, definitely not to the degree that I see.

Yes, reunion footage can be found on the Anthology DVD, and probably on YouTube if you look around.

theMess and vitorbastos123 like this.
  15. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Around the time of Flaming Pie there was a radio special on the album, and the great Steve Miller put out a disguised dig at Paul saying "I showed up and Paul had note for note what he wanted me to play." This is Steve ****ing Miller man...let him have at it. That to me is the difference between a session musician and a true collaborator, which is really how a "band" should work. This to me was and probably still is a flaw for Paul.

16. Mike Visco

Yeah but not the electric jams with Jeff.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  17. RayS

To quote Willie Cicci from "Godfather II", I think Jeff made a good "buffer". The Threetles needed lots of buffers.

18. Mike Visco

Looking good Mr. Kottere'...

petem1966 likes this.
  19. Mike Visco

I have to guess it sounded crappy, otherwise why not show it?

20. Mike Visco

Its like the jock cool friend and the annoying picky other one. The jock can do no wrong, the other-go away....

Slokes likes this.
  21. Mike Visco

22. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Haven't been on here very long, that discussion may have occurred before I was here. Or maybe I just didn't see it (that's possible as well, the time I can spend on here is limited).

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I think it's telling that Paul waited 'till after George died to admit that George wrote the opening 'riff' to "And I Love Her"!

24. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Not when you consider the accounts that Paul was merciless to George about his leads-----often showing him exactly what to play.

25. RayS

What's worse - that or "What kind of solo was THAT?" from John?

Zeki, theMess and johnny moondog 909 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.