Why disdain for "Let It Be... Naked?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Jul 11, 2014.

1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

:biglaugh::D:laugh:

2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Issues for 33 years. And not doing this until the year of this murder. For me, the timing adds up, especially knowing how important the right image is for Paul...projecting who the Beatles are. But yes. Paul had never been happy with Spector.

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

Well, one method of 'fixing' (Spector's) was possible in 1969/70, while the other (Naked's) was not.

But that's academic anyway - Spector did not add anything to the song Let It Be, so there was no need for any Frankensteining of that song on Naked. Either a stripped down mix of the overdubbed Take 27A would have been preferable, or - even better - a mix of the live Take 27B. What they came up with makes no sense.

muffmasterh and Onder like this.
  4. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know, but this part actually has a source cited), George approved of the project before he died in 2001.

5. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

In that regard I totally agree !

6. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

I never really thought about the quick song fades on 'Naked', but now that I listen, they are a little annoying — for a 'live in the studio' album.

All in all, I'm glad Spector came in and finished the record in the first place so I could buy it as a cut-out at my local Target when I was 9.

It's the first new record I ever bought and the only Beatles album I bought new around the time it came out.

As a kid I loved the red apple and the pictures in the gatefold and the singing on Two of Us.

I didn't know that the songs were old or terrible or over-produced or done by four guys who hated each other or resented Yoko or whatever.

I vote for the imperfect original over the imperfect re-do!

davenav and Contact Lost like this.
  7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I did not know this. I still think the murder was a catalyst. Or sped things up. Maybe I'm wrong. But after the murder...when I heard about LIBN...I immediately thought this. Maybe pure coincidence of timing, who knows.

8. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

yeah right, that would be true if the original Let It Be was not available to buy but was remastered and celebrated in 2009, LIBN is just a McCartney vanity project where he could have total control without the other Beatles involvement because they were mostly dead !![/QUOTE]

9. Maidenpriest

George didn't give a **** he had bigger things to worry about than The Beatles !!

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Apple was not going to leave Let It Be out in 2009. And did George Harrison actually give his okay to LIBN before his death on 2001? Someone else posted that. I personally think Let It Be and TLAWR sound better on the original. Paul enjoying full control? Never!

11. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Agreed, a little studio chatter between the songs would have been great, and tied it all together. If I had more time, I'd do a fan edit, using clips from the "Fly on the Wall" disc.

Contact Lost likes this.
  12. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

Actually, for me, one of the best moments on LIBN is when I've Got A Feeling ends and then SLAMS into One After 909, BOOM! It's like a really hot moment in a rockin' band's live set, like, don't let 'em breathe, hit 'em again, only harder. I love it. I like to think that's what they were going for, at least in that instance.

I never understood all the fuss over LIBN. Yes, it's revisionism; yes, the sound is lacking in some respects; yes, they edited out some of the charm when they removed the banter (I always wondered what Phase Two was...). But heck, it's another way to listen to the canonical version IF one pleases. It's not as if they put this out and then deleted the original from the catalog. And even if they did, you've already got a copy, right?

13. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

The two biggest reasons to pass on LiBN, among others.

slane likes this.
  14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

He didn't have total control. Ringo, Olivia and Yoko had a say and veto power. The original, however, was made against his consent.

Then why did he allow it?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

It has some highlights, like the alternate versions of “The Long and Winding Road” and “Don’t Let Me Down”, For You Blue” with George’s acoustic guitar present in the mix, “I Me Mine” without all of Phil Spector’s embellishments and “Across The Universe”. The rest I can take or leave. The title track sounds unfinished with George’s rough lead, they did “Get Back” a great disservice by eliminating the coda, “Two of Us” and the other three rooftop songs are all devoid of their soul IMO. Plus all of the NoNoise applied sucked the life out of the recordings. And there’s not much “naked” about pitch-correcting John’s vocal on “Dig a Pony”.

If you ask me, we haven’t gotten the best Let It Be. Both releases missed the mark IMO. They righted Yellow Submarine in 1999, they should be able to right LIB.

Bern, MPLRecords, andrewskyDE and 3 others like this.
  16. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

My major issue with it!!

Shak Cohen and warewolf95 like this.
  17. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I personally think people overblow the NR issue a lot of times. As long as there are no digital artifacts and the actual music is not affected, I'll take it without hiss please!

Can anyone point me to some parts of LIBN where the NR affects it audibly? Cuz I've been listening to the cd for years and never had any idea about it until this thread.

Now, I'm not saying I'm anti-NR, because I to do prefer no NR. I'm just saying that if it was used and didn't affect anything for the negative, it's not a big deal to me.

18. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

I don't get the disdain for the original.
    Er, I get it....but I don't agree.
    Even with Sir Paul!
    What does he know.

Drifter likes this.
  19. btomarra

But though one may not hear any digital artifacts, if it makes the music sound dead and it did that for me, it doesn’t make me want to listen to it repeatedly.

Check out this thread (and the post from our host:

What's wrong with noise reduction......

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    warewolf95 likes this.
  20. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. :)

Do you ever think there's a time when NR should be used? Cuz I'm back and forth on it. It usually seems everyone is blatantly anti NR but, c'mon, it's 2018 - surely its useful somewhere :p

21. Maidenpriest

Recordings that are 'hissey' ie a lot of old pre-1960's stuff which had primitive technology used within the recordings, The Beatles most certainly are not hissey and sound great so I still can not understand why it was used to take away hiss that is not there but essential frequencies within the music !! :confused:

Drifter and warewolf95 like this.
  22. btomarra

Did a search and found a forum member commenting on Paul’s argument for noise reduction:

In this thread:

Beatles CDs, 1, and the upcoming remasters

23. btomarra

I can get by with minimal NR if used on intros and no other options are available on cd. The Beatles 2009 remastered cds used very little. Unlike past Beatles remasters: the first Beatles 1 comp, Anthology, BBC (first issue), Let It Be Naked. Wasn’t Peter Mew involved with those? He is noted for heavy handed noise reduction and there are lots of unflattering threads here about cds he remastered.

Here:

Beatles CDs, 1, and the upcoming remasters

A quote from Paul McCartney on his view of analogue hiss (not encouraging) in the thread below:

Are The Beatles remasters a myth?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    warewolf95 likes this.
  24. Maidenpriest

I don't think Paul McCartney is best qualified to comment in all honesty the artist is not always the best 'ears' to judge and have a critical opinion regarding Audiophile matters you need an expert like Mr Steve Hoffman who it is there career and profession seeking excellent sound nirvana etc, how many remasters have been butchered by the Artist having control, Steve Harris and Jimmy Page come to mind !!

Drifter and btomarra like this.
  25. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

No distain for it but I do appreciate the original the most.
    It's what I grew up on and I love all the humorous bits in between tracks.
    That's the Let It Be album for me and the strings on Winding Road is a must.