Why do 18-20 year olds (and younger) not know the classics?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sister Disco, Jul 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

This has nothing to do with personality type or generation. As I mentioned above, it's connected to insecurity, wanting the world to conform to your needs. I know plenty of people in their 20s who think this way, as well as a few older people who do too, in varying degrees.

2. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

This is hilarious. When you said "the classics" I assumed you meant classic Hollywood, like "Citizen Kane", "The Third Man", "Casablanca", etc. Or the history and culture of Ancient Rome or Greece. Not 90s video games and pop culture :laughup:

The 90s aren't "the classics". You don't seem to have an understanding what the "classics" are.

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I'd be inclined to say that the condition has nothing to do with ages. I wonder, though, what this might have to do with the forum topic.

Edit:

After I wrote this, I went to a news page and found this. It MAY help to explain some differences, but probably not...

http://www.wmal.com/2015/08/05/watch-the-worlds-highest-paid-actor-is/

4. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

Any human being in history, if they had a chance to be instantly gratified all the time, would do so and enjoy it immensely. George Washington, Gandhi, Picasso. Don't get angry because young folks had that chance when you didn't.

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

There's a lot of people posting here that seem to be unclear on the concept. Interestingly, the ones who understand the term the least are also the ones upset by this "problem" the most.

Just another "kids nowadays" whine thread.

6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

The 90s are probably deemed as classic by some people. Don't just assume that everybody sees the same things as "classics".

Synthfreek likes this.
  7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Interesting statement. Before I retired I worked for the book publisher that published Hirsch's study on cultural literacy. It may be fair to assume that a greater percentage of current 18 - 20 year olds haven't been given the chance to grasp the topic; they would, furthermore, question the need to be culturally literate since they have their iPhones to keep them happy.

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.
  8. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I don't think what is classic is a matter of opinion.

sgb and Beet like this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The notion of something 'Classic' is of something that has passed the test of time. The 1990's are far too recent as to be regarded as "Classic".

sgb and Beet like this.
  10. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

A lot of them aren't exposed to the classics these days. There's so much more media choice - good, bad and worse.

11. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

There is a difference between childhood nostalgia and the classics.

Solaris likes this.
  12. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Classics are created by time, context and consensus. The classics of the '90s and more recent eras (including, yes, video games) will be revealed in due time.

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You took the words right out of my mouth. There is nothing there is remember...

14. audiomixer

When? The next ice age?

jeatleboe likes this.
  15. Haristar

So something that is 20-25 years old can't be deemed as classic by anyone?

I'm pretty sure the Beatles, Rolling Stones et al were deemed as classic by the mid 80s.

16. Cheepnik

When you're worm food, in all likelihood.

17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I think it can, IF it was... but there just isn't anything that's been truly deemed "classic" in that time period. And it cannot be classified as such just by any individual's personal opinion. For example, one can declare that THE BEAST OF YUCCA FLATS is a "classic". That doesn't make it so.

18. Haristar

I completely disagree.

19. audiomixer

I'm being cremated, so it will never happen.

20. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Look at the bright side -- whether you're cremated or become worm food, at least you won't be around to see what passes for "classics" by then. :tiphat:

audiomixer likes this.
  21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It would be a species of Hyperbole. The work of Bach is classic in large part because it has passed the test of time. The music of the Rolling Stones, Beatles, et al, hasn't been around all that long. I would say there's little doubt that the rock bands of the sixties had major cultural impact. I'm not entirely on board as regards the elevation of this music to "Classic" status. Most of the time, there simply isn't enough going on musically to justify consideration as 'classic.'

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  22. Cheepnik

Washed-up middle-aged men sneering at whatever they don't understand. Surely that's a classic by now.

Schoolmaster Bones and Haristar like this.
  23. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

As are those who keep retorting back at "old fogeys" -- Classic!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  24. audiomixer

Hmmmm...52 years old. :biglaugh:A possible washed-up, middle-aged man?!?

25. Haristar

I just roll my eyes when I see someone say that things were better in their day. Like what justifiable reason have you got?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.