Why do I need high VTF on a Rega Elys 2?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by williaty, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williaty

williaty Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got a copy of the Hi Fi News test record and finally got to use it today. Using the increasing level 300Hz tones, I was able to set the anti-skate to achieve break-up in both channels at the same time. Sadly, I was having break-up even in the "easy" tracks. Reading a description of using the record, there was mention that increasing the VTF might help. It did, in fact, help. I was able to get it to track the 2nd from worst (16dB, IIRC) track by increasing the VTF to 2.62g. That's WELL above Rega's recommendation of 1.75g. Is it safe to run the VTF that high or do I risk hurting the cartridge or the records if I leave it up there? If I have to back it off, is there any way to make it track better?

Thanks!

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

When You use that VTF how does the cantilever deflection look like? I mean the VTA should be reasonably OK or else back off.

3. williaty

williaty Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, I'm pretty new to the actually trying to make records play well game, so I have no idea what the cantilever deflection SHOULD look like.

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

OK, use the VTF that is recommended for the cartridge.

5. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I think 2.62 is going to be way too much.

6. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I'd agree.

To take it one step further, the audio forums are riddled with stories from people who end up with bizarre settings from using the Hi Fi News Test Record, in many cases having extreme amounts of antiskate, and in this case VTF.

A novel suggestion might be to set up your cartridge, at least with respect to VTF, VTA and antiskate, playing music. As in regular records. Maybe a couple of different records with some variety in music and performance, some maybe more demanding than others.

Test records like the Hi Fi News with its torture tracks do not represent typical real world demands in terms of playing records. As such, the settings that are required to track weird and ultra demanding test tones, etc. may be fabulous if you play weird and demanding test tones all the time but may be totally unnecessary, and possibly detrimental, to obtaining the best results in terms of actually playing music.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  7. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Go with Rega suggested settings.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  8. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Hi!

My REGA EXACT2 VTF 1.60g with RP6 is the best!
    It's below 1.75g .

To protect needle and groove of record, you should use below 1.75g with TT mat by REGA.
    If you have issue of hum or active feedback, set to up to 1.75g.

BEST
    _K

Robert M. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.