Why do I still want to purchase music I can stream?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Same here! Except I have a 128 gig card. I can fit a truly insane amount of music on there and consume no data at all.

Vintage1976 likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

You are obviously not a cow. Or a dog.

3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Thanks for the compliment! :righton:

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Unless I am black-hole dense and can't find a way, Tidal doesn't offer it. Spotify, OTOH is great at presenting your listening history.

My cheap substitute is to use playlists for even the silliest thing, like one new song dropped from an album. So I've got a huge stack of latest-on-top playlists. Better than nothimg.

5. Chris DeVoe

I can't be the only person who is overjoyed that his digital version of Madonna's Like A Prayer doesn't reek of patchouli.

...or that anything you could play, down to and including 96k MP3 files downloaded from Kazaa, would sound pretty good compared to the 1" speakers in a laptop.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

What has going to concerts got to do with listening to pre-recorded music?

7. Chris DeVoe

That a concert is something you pay good money for that you can only experience a single time.

Billy Infinity, TonyCzar and noname74 like this.
  8. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Having recently gotten onboard with Tidal, I can now easily see the appeal. I think it's great and there are plenty, plenty, plenty of great sounding files on there from the little bit I've skimmed.

But it's not either or - streaming or purchasing - but, here's the thing for me.... I have, I dunno, maybe 5K CDs or something and I still regularly purchase music, box sets, etc.... and I'm running out of space. Wife is cool but she doesn't want rooms and rooms full of CDs and elaborate box sets. And I can see her point.

I figure I can reduce my purchases by 50% easy with Tidal - but still will purchase box sets, limited edition stuff, etc.

I also download CDs from Tidal onto my iPhone so not deal with wifi buffering and eating all the data - very easy and painless to do that.

TonyCzar likes this.
  9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, and records can inform (in the runout) who mastered for vinyl, and there are some outstanding cut records out there. That's what you want.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

HDtracks sells hi-res downoads. They don't stream.

Tidal streams, but its "hi-res" offerings are all MQA.

Larry Mc likes this.
  11. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Exactly. I don't necessarily need to have the artwork, etc. at hand (I'm more than happy to be listening to stuff on my .mp3 player while I'm at the store or on the bus), but I don't want to be at the streaming service's mercy (or the mercy of my oftentimes unreliable Internet connection).

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Of course, but what does that have to do with choosing how to listen to re-recorded music?

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Read the post I quoted and give it a little thought. I have faith after a little while it will make sense to you. :targettiphat:

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm sure it will be an annoyance when and if it happens, and I am buying stuff I know I'm going to want to hear over and over and over. But not really out of concern over possible loss of future availability. I'm very comfortable with that being a bridge I can cross some day in the future if I have to.

15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The thread is to do with listening to pre-recorded music. If there is some tangential meaning in what you say, relating to my original post then it is lost on me. Please note that my comment only concerns the subject of this thread – listening to pre-recorded music.

16. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Something about your understanding of what you wrote seems incomplete.

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I’d rather listen in better quality. I can also interface with my stereo by picking up my phone anywhere in the house and punching up a song. There are too many conveniences and it’s so much that no one will dissuade me to use YouTube as an alternative. I do use it when that’s the only option.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  18. jimi55

jimi55 Forum Resident

I guess I'm old school but I prefer the physical media.

theshape and MYQ1 like this.
  19. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Aside from YouTube the only "streaming" I do is from a hard drive or USB thumb drive.

Grant likes this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The only thing I can see wrong with what I wrote is a typo. For re-recorded music read 'pre-recorded music'.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

because physical ownership of our favorite music is important to us...

22. Michael

because some of us don't care for vinyl, and the CD has been a gift from the gods in sound and convenience...one of the most satisfying times for me was dumping my 10,000+ LPs many years ago...only regret? I could have made a fortune selling them in todays market!

23. Michael

you are not alone! ; )

24. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

I guess you lost the thread.

....... and a bunch of other examples .......

25. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

You must be new to this board. EVERY thread gets off topic after the first page. It's a rule in these parts. Example: If someone is asking for a list of songs that have the word "train" in the title that were written between the years 1980-1985, by the 2nd page, people will just be listing any old song they like.

Welcome to the forum!

Hermes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.