Why Do People Buy Dr. Dre Beats

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hogger129, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

You actually bought the Pill? I can't think of a product that is more of a rip-off for what it is. To each their own... :sigh:

2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I teach guitar house to house, for which the pill is perfect (although, it could be louder). Bluetooth compatible with iPad, rechargeable battery that lasts the week, and can be easily thrown into my bag. It's also cool if I'm working around the house or want something for the beach. We all know it's not some major audiophile device, but it sure beats comparable portable speakers I've tried.

3. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I understand the portability and the concept does provide some useful options and it is good that you have found a use for it in teaching. It is disappointing that this is another product that sells a "coolness" factor at a price point far above the quality it gives. Headphones and portable speakers were not invented by Beats, but they made them cool to the uninformed and vulnerable masses and that makes it possible to sell a "pretty" product made very cheaply for a very premium price.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I would suppose the ubiquitous iPod/iTunes made Beats possible. Then they toss in some lifestyle crap and millions are made. But the worm is turning as other products are being recognized.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

When they first came out I saw a teen wearing a red pair on the subway and will admit they looked pretty nice. I can see the style appeal with youth.

6. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

We can all say the same for virtually every Apple product. High price, low quality hipster stuff. I can't tell you how many iPods I've been through. They're built like crap. However, Apple has a way of monopolizing the market based on compatibility, so it sucks.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  7. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Really? I've never had a problem with any Apple product. Two iPads, an iMac and two iPods in our house and not a single problem with any.

Robert C and RoyalScam like this.
  8. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I'm not kidding! I hope the iPad doesn't decide to conk out!

9. cd fiend

cd fiend Member

My mother in law bought me the HD Solo's for Hanukkah this year. Are they incredible? No, but they're certainly well made and sound good with most genres of techno and rap that I listen to. I can't stand rap or techno on my Grado's.

But for the money I'd just get Audio Technica M50's

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Really? What do you do to them? I might lose one but I've never had one fail. As a matter of fact, out of all my apple crap, I've had a MacBook battery take a crap and the hard drive in an imac die. Two iPhones. Never failed. And I am not exactly easy on stuff, especially phones.

RoyalScam and cd fiend like this.
  11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Sounds like poor planning on part of audiophile manufacturing companies. Imagine where they could be right now if they had done what Beats had done.

mantis4tons and motownboy like this.
  12. nbakid2000

As I said before, it's manufacturing companies failing to understand the emerging markets and new trends in advertising which is why they fell so far behind Beats.

13. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

What do Beats symbolize??? The Generation Gap. Complainers have officially reached "Old Fart Status".

cd fiend and MarkO like this.
  14. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Audiophile companies have different demographics. They target trust fund babies and baby boomers who are willing to spend tens of thousands on audio gear not worth nearly the cost, not $100 on headphones. Big fish stuff

15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Buy them what do I care!

16. nbakid2000

What happens when the trust fund babies and baby boomers die off? There's no one to replace them. That's why we had that thread with the YouTube video where audio dealers all gathered in a big room to discuss their dwindling sales figures and what to do about fixing it (ie, setting up a listening room at a college).

cd fiend and RelayerNJ like this.
  17. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Point me in the direction of that video!

18. nbakid2000

I can't find it and I don't know what it was called. It was an hour long video and a bunch of audio dealers went in and discussed the fact that younger people weren't buying their gear and how to fix it. Michael Fremer was in on it and some others. Maybe someone else can find the thread/video.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  19. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Apple are the masters of selling the "coolness" factor... and they have found many that will drink the Kool Aide. Before Apple, I don't remember seeing people line up for days outside a store to get a new product. The nearest thing I can think of is when people camp out to buy tickets to a live concert by a popular artist, and knowing how concert tickets are really "sold" or "distributed", it is sad that people think lining up for days guarantees them anything.

I have had three iPods... My main reason to get them is because they have the 160GB capacity. The first one gave out after two years. I replaced it with a new one that gave out after 6 months, but was replaced under warranty with, not a new one, but a refurbished one. That one has lasted so far about 18 months. Unless I go for a Pono or the new Sony Walkman, I am not sure what I will replace this one with when the time comes.

There are lots of consumers who post their issues and dissatisfaction with Apple products on-line. Apple is no different than any other manufacturer in this respect. There is nothing inherently "superior" over the other major competitors - just look at the Apple website forums. I wish as a collective consumers were more intelligent.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Peter Pyle likes this.
  20. Can I like this entire post a thousand times ?

21. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Major like. Since the classic is discontinued, they force you to buy the iPhone 6 that has comparable memory and thus spend more money. And why can't these things last longer? There's stereo equipment out there that last decades, not months as in my experience with these iPods.

22. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Easy. Reduce your costs! What young person can afford this stuff? I went to a demo once with some Danish guy trying to sell 24k amps (that's sounded bad). What young person has that kind of money? And here we are complaining about inferior $200 headphones.

23. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

This past holiday I asked my sister if I could get the neph some decent headphones. Was going to grab some AT M50's. She replied his grandparents are getting him a pair. Needless to say i was pretty sad when he came in with the beats on his head. Kind of a sinking feeling... he thinks they are so cool but they probably sound like ****. wish I could help but there's no talking to the beats and ipod generation.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  24. cd fiend

cd fiend Member

Definitely not better than AT M50's (all around), but I'd put them against most cans playing techno, trip-hop, and anything else that has some strong bass. The low end isn't that bad either. I put my 225i cans down now when I am jamming to anything like FKA Wigs, Andy Stott, or even the new D'Angelo LP. They sound better with new music and I'm guessing the folks who designed them were not thinking of Ry Cooder and Vishwa or audiophile music.

25. flac

flac Well-Known Member

I can't attest to the sound quality, because I've only heard them on store displays, but the Solo HD are some of the cheapest feeling headphones I've ever experienced. Very low grade plastics.

The Solo 2 seems to be improved considerably, and a recommendation by Tyll is not something to take lightly. They're not my style, but at least people who were going to buy Beats anyway get a decent headphone out of the deal.

Speaking of store displays, I was at Target a while back, and the Beats display quoted Tyll's review. I found that hysterical, because he's very vocally lambasted pretty much the entire Beats line save for the Solo 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.