Why Do People Hate Mr. Moonlight by the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Let It Be
    Only a Northern Song
    It's All Too Much

Rose River Bear likes this.
  2. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Thanks, just took a listen, but am not hearing any sort of keyboard. Now back to the "Moonlight Madness" theme . . .

3. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Cause its a crap song?
    Sometimes simple questions have simple answers.

pickwick33 and sathvyre like this.
  4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I'm like Paulie - I love the corny stuff. Mr. Moonlight, A Taste of Honey, Do you Want to Know a Secret, PS I Love You. I grew up listening to Tin Pan Alley, old latin records, etc. in addition to R&R and I always dug that the Beatles were into that stuff too. I always assumed it was was because a lot of European radio stations were and still are very eclectic. I remember when I worked in the UK in the 90's, you could hear Bjork, Petula Clark, Echo & the Bunnymen and Hank Snow all played on the same radio station one after another. Eclecticism is KING!

Scooterpiety, tcbtcb and forthlin like this.
  5. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I have a theory that John liked it because of the screaming intro he nailed. After that start, the song is pretty blah. I believe this was the album "Leave My Kitten Alone" could have been on. That switch would have been an improvement.

Lostchord likes this.
  6. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

For me it's Lennon's opening vocals. After that, it becomes maybe, kind of, almost tolerable. But I generally don't get past the opening screech.

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

There's plenty of Beatles songs over the years with Hammond Organ on them, but the organ sound on MML is unique in their catalog just because of the low register it's played in. It's not a part that an experienced Hammond organist would have played.

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Don Ho "Tiny Bubbles" > Beatles "Mr. Moonlight"

Rose River Bear likes this.
  9. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Perhaps, but I think it's got a swampy, tropical vibe that suits the song.

10. I think it should have been replaced by "Short and Curlies".

Wait - I'm confused...;):rolleyes:

vudicus, majorlance and telepicker97 like this.
  11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur! Thread Starter

To each his own. It is no worse than any of their other early teen pop material.

12. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

It's all over the verses.
    http://www.thebeatlesrarity.com/201...appiness-is-a-warm-gun-overdub-isolation-mix/
    The organ is on the same track as the electric guitar, as in, the organ disappears right before the guitar solo kicks in.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  13. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

In a nutshell it has to do with the fact that it sucks.

tim185 likes this.
  14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I can see that, there is a certain kitschy "tiki bar" feel to it.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  15. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Oh wow, it's the exact opposite for me. The way John sings "mister" in the opening is the peak of the song. It goes downhill from there, and the organ solo is so un-Beatle-y that it's almost disconcerting.

But why this track gets so much hate when just four songs later you've got the awful "Honey Don't," a recording with no redeeming value whatsoever, has always stumped me.

16. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I don't hate it anywhere close to as much as Kansas City, ugh, ruins an otherwise fine album. But, so what.

17. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Not knowing I was supposed to hate it, I love Mr. Moonlight.

vmajewsk and AudiophilePhil like this.
  18. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Good thing you tuned in before it was too late! The past several posts have shown beyond question just how and why you should hate at least half of "Beatles for Sale".

vmajewsk likes this.
  19. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

You know, I feel the same way about "Honey Don't", but having lived through Beatlemania, and witnessed this personally, there's just so many doggone Ringo fans who love EVERYTHING he ever did. Heck, I'm married to one of 'em. A couple of years ago, we saw Paul when he came to Houston. About a year ago, Ringo came to Houston. Problem is, I didn't know it until the concert had passed. I mentioned to my wife that we missed Ringo. She didn't speak to me for a week.

anthontherun likes this.
  20. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Thing is..
    with Beatles for Sale for me , the thing that has always got on my tits, is that the opening is so great, the first 4 tracks or so are just killer. Vibrant and rocking and sonicaly quite spectacular in stereo. Then the rest is fluffy to downright rubbish tracks to fill the album. So disappointing after the stellar intro.

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The very first time I heard Mr. Moonlight was on The Beatles cartoon show in the mid-sixties; I liked it then and like it today. As others have said, great harmonies, nice melody..I do wonder though, how seriously The Beatles took themselves when recording it as they (especially John) almost crack up with it on the John Barret Tapes outtake.

...as an aside, I think Kansas City is one of their best covers, overall and certainly one of Paul's greatest vocals.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  22. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I don't really like the song but I don't "Hate" it either. When I first heard it, it just didn't seem to fit on Beatles 65. Not like No Reply or I'm a Loser does...

23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I first heard it on my older brother's copy of this..

[​IMG]

I was very young and didn't know what Beatles For Sale or Beatles '65 were, so I had no idea where it came from, and it just sounded so different and mysterious.

I loved it then and still love it now.

AudiophilePhil and RonW like this.
  24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I feel the song is neither well-suited to him nor The Beatles. This is the sort of thing Piano Red spent most of his career doing:

pickwick33 likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, the organ has that cocktail organ feel. But Lennon's empassioned vocal is what redeems the song.

Brian Kelly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.