Why Do People Hate Mr. Moonlight by the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

To me, the opening vocal only highlights how pedestrian the rest of "Mr. Moonlight" is.

And I agree about "Dizzy Miss Lizzie", it doesn't sound of a piece with the rest of Help!

2. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Okay, but you're still discounting the fact that many Beatles fans dislike "Mr. Moonlight". The idea that only an outright Beatles-hater could dislike "Mr. Moonlight" seems supremely silly.

e.s. likes this.
  3. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

wasn't the matchbox / slow down etc. ep from thist period ? (not really familiar with the us albums) also great performances... and the carl perkins covers... and "rock and roll music" ...
    i think mr. moonlight is not that bad, i would put it on a par with "a taste of honey", but for beatles standards it is not that good.. they should have put one of the songs from the ep

4. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I love The Beatles but there was always a few clunkers at the beginning...my little list:hide:
    Anna (Go To Him)
    Chains
    P.S. I Love You
    If I Fell

5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Dizzy Miss Lizzie- ROCKS

Al Kuenster, TS582 and OneStepBeyond like this.
  6. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I love it, the song, John's vocal and I love the organ.

AudiophilePhil and Al Kuenster like this.
  7. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Me a Beatle hater? yeah, ok. Again, the organ. Don't like the tone, sound, just........BLAH>>>>>>

mooseman likes this.
  8. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Why was Kitten left off out of interest?

9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I've never hated it, but I think it's the arrangement that lets it down. If only they'd used the arrangement they used on the live Hamburg recordings, it'd probably have given 'Leave My Kitten Alone' a run for it's money. Do I need to point out - for the several hundredth time - that 'Beatles For Sale' has always been one of my favourite Fabs albums?. I'll take it over 'Sgt. Pepper' any day.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  10. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

That's a question that has needed asking for a LONG time. As far as I know, no interviewer has ever asked that one.

11. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The EP had been recorded at the same time of the A Hard Day's Night album, and released in June 1964. So those four songs had been on sale for six months by the time Beatles For Sale was issued.
    Putting out old recordings may have been OK for Capitol but Parlophone stopped doing that with Please Please Me.
    No one knows, but it's significant that the recording was never even mixed down in 1964, and John Lennon never asked to hear it played back. It seems The Beatles felt they hadn't got a good take.
    By May 1965 they'd either forgotten about it or hated it, going to the trouble of recording two new covers (Dizzy Miss Lizzie and Bad Boy) for Capitol's upcoming new album Beatles VI instead of dusting off the similar Leave My Kitten Alone instead.

slane likes this.
  12. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I love Bad Boy - my first Beatles album was Oldies But Goldies and I always felt Bad Boy held amongst the other classics

Al Kuenster likes this.
  13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I don't hate it. And in fact The Beatles liked it well enough to use it as an opener on some of their prefame shows.

14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The organ thing is revisionism. In 64 that was not a cheesy organ sound. It's just that after 1972 you almost never heard an organ that didn't run through a leslie. Yes i think it sounds cheesy too but not enough to make me hate the song. I do like the Anthology take more though.

15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

It's an O.K. song / performance... but the organ solo has got to be the worst solo the Beatles ever recorded!

Yes, they were faithful to the original solo, but they made variations on other songs they covered, improving them... why not on this one? :wtf:

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Funny, I had a dream last night where I was looking through used Beatles LPs and found an Apple pressing of Beatles '65 where "Mr. Moonlight" had been removed from the album.

17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The 'squares' always need to be told what to like. You obviously have a good ear and a mind of your own.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I dislike most of BFS.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

People don't like it because they read somewhere along the way that they weren't supposed to like it and that it was bad and thus the sheep follow as instructed. The same goes with the Beatles For Sale album as a whole. George Martin was like, "Oh, they went into a slump" or something and that plants the seed. There ain't a damn thing wrong with this song, or this record. I play "Beatles For Sale" more often than most other Beatle albums. It reeks of 1964 Beatlemania, and the McCartney/Lennon vocal blend was never sweeter. The original Beatle material on For Sale shows continued growth and mastery of the craft. The covers are tasteful and mostly long-standing elements of The Beatles stage show, thus historically significant. Mr. Moonlight's diabolical organ solo sounds like a deranged circus troupe of jugglers and clowns trotting through the middle of the recording. The percussion sounds like raw hamburger being thrown against a brick wall in a Liverpool alley. Lennon's vocal commitment is unwavering and borderline psychotic. McCartney's flat-lining counterpoint provides the perfect balance as we totter between mania and slumber. The song, and the album as a whole, is a work of art from start to finish, housed in a stylish and creative gatefold sleeve. The Beatle projectile consistently moves upward until 1967. "Beatles for Sale" is not a dip in quality, just as "Mr. Moonlight" is not a misfire nor error in judgement, it is another step forward from "A Hard Days Night". Anyone who fails to comprehend these simple truths should be taken to Room 101 and have a sack of rats put over their head until they accept.

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I don't hate anything, per se, but the song is just lame. It was done better by others, in my opinion.

21. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

They were pushed too hard. It was not possible with the schedule they were keeping (albums, singles, concerts, tv appearances) to fill out this album with all killer material. It is incredible that they did just that on most every other album. And it is still the greatest testament to Rubber Soul. Does the White Album have more great material than Rubber Soul? Yes. But it was recorded over several months. Rubber Soul was written and recorded in a few weeks!

22. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

They should have ended help with Yesterday, and relegated Lizzie to a B-side or EP. It really does not fit at all.

23. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Nicely put!

24. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

It's also a very performable song too - great fun to play, as I've done on many an occasion through the years.
    Now, if "Blue Jay Way" was anyone else's song but a Beatles song, that's certainly a song one that no-one would be discussing all these years later, never mind Mr Moonlight! (some interesting production ideas perhaps, but a lousy song IMO).

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

With all due respect for how we all perceive music in our own way, to be honest I could never even in my weirdest state of mind would I hear the song this way. Cool description though. I would love to see your take on Helter Skelter. :D
    :)

William Smart and streetlegal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.