Why do so few famous artists like Queen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stunner2020, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A weird thread, granted, but I've pondered this for years - how so few famous musicians seem to have any time at all for Queen. I know it's easy to fall upon the old chestnuts like "they're a novelty band," or "music for people who hate music", but they're also a vastly talented group of guys with a huge career behind them.

On some Queen documentaries, some of them turn up but none are overwhelmingly positive. Paul McCartney says "Freddie has a good voice and they have a decent guitar player", Ringo Starr's comment is a joke where he becomes more and more complimentary as the cameraman offers him more and more cash, I think John Entwistle says "John Deacon's good but needs a heavier bass". Even Jeff Beck, lifelong friend of Brian May's, can only call him the "best pop-based guitarist around". Robert Plant and Roger Daltrey are on record for being praiseworthy but it was only really the typical "Yeah, Freddie was great" stuff in the wake of his death. In one book I read about an old Apple employee, he talks about when Apple almost signed Queen in 1972 - they changed their mind when John Lennon had a listen to their demo and detested it.

So who has praised Queen? Brian Wilson was a known fan, as was Frank Zappa - of whom there are quite a few quotes where he discusses Queen and particularly Brian May (in one, he said a Queen album excites him more than Hendrix). Roger Waters once stated that John Lennon and Freddie Mercury were the only British songwriters he considered better than him.

Even nowadays, where Queen and Freddie's names are banded about everywhere as an influence, it seems that serious artists run a mile from Queen. To musicians, they seem to be a footnote in music history. Is it because of their era? Just too late for the 1960's but before the punk explosion? Sometimes I think that maybe Queen were too heavy for the big names that preceded them, but too MOR for those that followed. Were they too camp? Too "clean"? Were their influences too different?

Always puzzled me. I don't except everyone to love Queen - they're a very dividing band - but the difference in love they receive from the public and from their fellow artists seems vast.

tmtomh, Moonbeam Skies, AJK74 and 3 others like this.
  2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

As a Queen fan, why should I case who does and doesn't like them? I like them. That's enough.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

For me they were the Elton John/Liberace of arena rock acts. Popular at the time but once they faded I figured they'd be consigned to the scrap heap along with ELP and others of that ilk.

That's why I was so surprised when the Queen revival started with that Wayne's World movie. I had absolutely no idea "Bohemian Rhapsody" was considered some sort of classic. Then Mercury began being mentioned in articles about GOAT frontmen -- indeed the word "frontman" seems to have been revived simply so Mercury could win fan polls for it.

But then the Journey revival started, and now nothing shocks me anymore...

4. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

they are right, Queen are an irritating fly you try to brush of but keeps, for some reason, coming back.

David Ellis, Abbagold, dino77 and 3 others like this.
  5. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Kurt Cobain
    "At one point Cobain described listening to Queen at an impressionable age:
    [My father’s] idea of a father-and-son day out would be to take me to work on Saturdays and Sundays and I would sit in his office while he went and counted logs. It’s really a quite exciting weekend. I drew pictures, I made prank phone calls. And then I would go out into the warehouse where they stacked two-by-fours really high up into the air and I would pretend I was being chased or chasing robbers and cops or pretend to be Superman or any other superhero. … And then I would take a nap in the van and listen to Queen — “News of the World” on eight-track, over and over again, and drain the battery on the van. Then we’d be stuck. That happened a few times — we’d get stuck after work with a dead battery because I listened to Queen too much."

Dave Grohl
    Taylor Hawkins

"In 2000, the band recruited Queen guitarist Brian May to add some guitar flourish to a cover of Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar", a song which Foo Fighters previously recorded as a b-side. The friendship between the two bands resulted in Grohl and Taylor Hawkins being asked to induct Queen into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001. Grohl and Hawkins joined May and Queen drummer Roger Taylor to perform "Tie Your Mother Down", with Grohl standing in on vocals for Freddie Mercury. May later contributed guitar work for the song "Tired of You" on the ensuing Foo Fighters album, as well as on an unreleased Foo Fighters song called "Knucklehead"."

Billy Corgan
    "“It’s no secret in my world that I’m a huge Queen fan”
    Billy Corgan wishes Queen’s frontman Freddie Mercury a posthumous happy 65th birthday and shares the following snippet:
    “One of my favorite stories that Roy [Thomas Baker] ever told me was that after Queen’s first album came out, they were kind of slagged off by the English press as almost like a gimmick or a novelty band, and Freddie got so frustrated that he basically said, ‘OK, we’re gonna pull out all the stops, we’re not gonna hold back on anything we do.’ And that of course led to the style that Queen was known for, which was this incredible bombast of vocals and classical changes and guitar solos.”
    Corgan cited Queen II as an “album that changed his life” as far back as 1993."

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I guess I've never noticed this. I've always said that to me, because I missed them when they were at their peak, they are more of a singles band than an albums band. But jesus, you could pull out 15 song titles off the top of your head that any song writer would have killed to have written.

Keep in mind too, a lot of artists seem to drop band names into conversation as an attempt to frame their own legacy. If it makes them look cool to like a certain band, suddenly they're a fan. When a musical movement starts an artist tends to be only into certain bands, then when they get some popularity they start mentioning other bands in order to distinguish themselves.

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Never much of a Queen fan myself, but if you like them, who cares what Ringo has to say? The quote that jumped out on me in the OP though was Roger Waters saying that "John Lennon and Freddie Mercury were the only British songwriters better than him."

Man, what a deluded and egotistical old man.

8. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I'm kinda surprised by all this.

Maybe it's the camp/OTT/showbiz elements that put some off? Early on, they began doing what they did with a wink; isn't that what rock 'n' rollers are supposed to do, i.e. not take themselves too seriously?

Along with all their other achievements, it's always been my opinion that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the most ambitious pop or rock single ever made. And one which largely succeeds in that ambition.

keyXVII, markytheM, Ash76 and 5 others like this.
  9. 905

905 Senior Member

Greatest Hits is one of the best albums I've heard. I'm sure many famous artists (posters above already mentioned several) like Queen but just never mentioned it.

supernaut and Jarleboy like this.
  10. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

That's easy for me to answer, they're quite varied in their approach and had hits with different styles, too, over many years. People are jealous of musical talent, also - four members, four songwriters, all of which wrote big hits. Eclectic bands are hard to pigeonhole, which let's face it, people like to do (especially critics).

Duan, Yost, markytheM and 10 others like this.
  11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

[​IMG]

12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Queen seemed to fall into the cracks in a way. Probably because they weren't part of any particular scene.

13. JRJ

JRJ Forum Resident

Never thought of what other groups thought of them.
    However, along with Kiss, always listened to them from the 70's since I was a kid.
    Don't really care too much about what the alt rock groups have to say.
    I wouldn't have all of their alt rock albums in my collection.
    Cheers;
    John

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

[​IMG]

Sheer, unmitigated jealousy. :laugh:

15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Why you figured that, when they were a hugely talented group who had numerous hits, with one of, if not thee greatest rock singers/performers ever, I don't know. In the UK, they've got the best selling album ever, and they're one of the top selling groups worldwide (the Rolling Stones had a decade on Queen and Queen still edged them in sales). Not only is Bohemian Rhapsody considered a classic, but many of their other tracks. Wayne's World? Seriously? That film made little odds to Queen outside of the U.S (where they were bigger).

16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Well here, a few for starters....

"There's so few people behind the glamour who really make it as true performers. It's very strange thoroughbred condition to be a successful musician and still be able to project it with confidence. Freddie had that, and there's not many people who have had it." - Robert Plant

"When we lost Freddie, we not only lost a great personality, a man with a great sense of humour, a true showman, but we lost probably the best. The best virtuoso rock 'n' roll singer of all time. He could sing anything in any style. He could change his style from line to line and, God, that's an art. And he was brilliant at it." - Roger Daltrey

"There are people these days who can do things on the guitar which are beyond my reach. There's one guy who plays with Queen who can do things I would dream of doing. I sincerely mean that." - Eric Clapton

"Freddie's voice has so much texture to it. It’s supersexy. He kind of grabs at everything, he squeezes it. He was completely over the top in the best possible way. " - Adam Lambert

"Someone told me that I might have the chance to sing with Queen... and I was like: Don't ask me twice, mothe*':#ker. I'll be there!" - James Hetfield

"They've been the biggest influence on my life." - Gary Cherone

"The worst day of my life was once that my mom didn't allow me to go to a Queen concert because I was grounded." - Lars Ulrich

"When I was with Kansas, we toured with Queen on their first visit to the States and became good friends. They profoundly influenced us." - Kerry Livgren of Kansas

"Playing with Queen was the biggest moment of my career. It was like living a childhood fantasy." - George Michael

"As Freddie loved a spectacle. I think he would have enjoyed it. Freddie was to me the ultimate performer." - Paul Young

"The best band in the world is Queen, definitely." - Matthew Bellamy of Muse

"There's not a single day where I don't miss Freddie Mercury." - John Taylor of Duran Duran

“I was deeply saddened when I heard Freddie passed away. A great performer, a great voice, a great musician was lost to the world. Thank God we have the music to listen to forever.” - Rob Halford

"All I've got on my iPod is every single Queen song and every single Judas Priest song. Queen were an incredible heavy metal band. I saw them on their first ever tour, at Birmingham Town Hall. They just blew me away." - Rob Halford

“I watched him, and I watched him die, and it was so painful for me, because I really loved Freddie Mercury, the way that he just truly went with his voice.” - Dave Mustaine of Megadeth.

"If I didn't have Freddie Mercury's lyrics to hold on to as a kid, I don't know where I would be. It taught me about all forms of music. It would open my mind. I never really had a bigger teacher in my whole life." - Axl Rose

"Freddie Mercury was my all-time favorite vocalist and consummate frontman" - James LaBrie of Dream Theater

"I adored Freddie Mercury and Queen had a hit called Radio Gaga. That's why I love the name. Freddie was unique - one of the biggest personalities in the whole of pop music. He was not only a singer but also a fantastic performer, a man of the theatre and someone who constantly transformed himself. In short: a genius." - Lady Gaga

"The difference between Freddie and almost all the other rock stars was that he was selling the voice." - Montserrat Caballé

"Freddie Mercury was and remains my biggest influence. The combination of his sarcastic approach to writing lyrics and his 'I don't give a ****' attitude really inspired my music.” - Katy Perry

"Every band should study Queen at Live Aid. If you really feel like that barrier is gone, you become Freddie Mercury. I consider him the greatest frontman of all time. Like, it's funny? you'd imagine that Freddie was more than human, but ... You know how he controlled Wembley Stadium at Live Aid in 1985? He stood up there and did his vocal warm ups with the audience. Something that intimate, where they realize, 'Oh yeah, he's just a f***ing dude." - Dave Grohl

"Of all the more theatrical rock performers, Freddie took it further than the rest... he took it over the edge. And of course, I always admired a man who wears tights. I only saw him in concert once and as they say, he was definitely a man who could hold an audience in the palm of his hand." - David Bowie

"The biggest band ever." - Joe Elliot of Def Leppard

“For me, Freddy is the brightest representative of the era of rock, when people were not afraid to live life to the full. This would hardly ever be repeated. ” -Annie Lennox

“Freddie is great. At a time when everybody around was doing God knows what, Queen was making music. ” – Ozzy Osbourne

17. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I can't say I've ever heard of famous stars not liking or not having professional respect for Queen. Even Ted Nugent once said that he thought highly of Brian May's abilities on the guitar.

Sorry OP, but you'll need to post some quotes to better make your point.

Scott

18. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

Come on now. If you don't like Queen then there's something wrong here. This band earned its keep so early and so often. Yah, they are a little "out there", but they are a classic rock band, period. If you didn't have a little Queen in your teenage years, then I pity you. They are part of rock and roll history and that's all I have to say on this matter.

19. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Metallica has cited Queen as one of their influences and their cover of "Stone Cold Crazy" is among the most famous. IMO their impact on early heavy metal cannot be overlooked with their first few albums.

The Space Cowboy, Brudy and Sondek like this.
  20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

They consistently hit the UK singles and album chart top ten, so when exactly did they fade?

22. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Is there any other bands that are vocally admired by many big artists?

23. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Considering the artists played the Freddie Mercury tribute, and that a lot of huge artists have praised Queen/Freddie, and meant it genuinely, this post seems somewhat misleading

25. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

As I non-fan, I am curious as to how those vocals sounded live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.