Why do we listen to music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kman

kman Forum Resident

Busch Light (cheap)
    Dos Equis
    And my favorite Stella Artois

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Yeah Stella a fine beer

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Soothes the soul.

4. Bemagnus

Sort of yeah .

5. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

That's sort of like enjoying The Cars while walking.

6. It evokes emotions, good, bad

7. Bemagnus

Sort of

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Why is there air?

9. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

From a poster, and/or Facebook: "It's what emotions sound like", so we are naturally attracted to that sound of emotions.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  10. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

For many reasons, you exercise your brain, practice a language, remember about the past, enjoy a female voice, absorb the energy, etc...

11. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Love that song, and the albums really grown on me over the years. Theres a funny practical joke story about that song I read in an interview with Greenbaum (who's Jewish btw). He'd play at family and friends functions, like Barmitzvahs, where Spirit In The Sky was expected - at least from people of his generation. When he'd sing the part of '..you got a friend in Jesus..' it'd cause a stir with older & religious folks in attendance. Theres some charming aspects to the 'generation gap' of that era that I miss.

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

They certainly go down faster when the music is on

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Maybe they don't make music quite the way we do but they sing to each other and...

Animals were expressly 'blessed' and given the 'breath of life' according to the first book. I accept that for exactly what it says.

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Collecting has everything to do with the emotional reward music brings me. In my case, I enjoy tremendously variations in good masterings and presses of my favorite records.

A big part of the joy you cite of hearing your favorites on radio -- back when people listened to radios -- I think was being part of the mass experience; hearing something you liked or loved and knowing everyone else was also listening to it and maybe feeling the same exhileration you did.

But, you're right about listening being more about emotions and your own internal thoughtscape. Music has the power to lift your spirit, put you in a reflective mood, rouse you, all kinds of things.

I could not live well without it.

15. downer

downer Senior Member

To get to the other side...

steveharris likes this.
  16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Why do we breathe?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  17. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

They used to say that about using tools. Then they discovered monkeys use tools to get ants. There are a whole set of things that people say sets us apart from animals. Problem is, we're animals. I'd be willing to bet that at least dolphins and whales make music too.

18. Captain Coconut

Captain Coconut Active Member

I always looked at the collecting part as an exercise of our hunter/gatherer instinct. I don't hunt animals but I do hunt for and gather CDs. Me finding a MFSL CD at a yard sale probably feels the way an ancient relative felt taking down a very large animal ;)

19. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

And crows!

rburly likes this.
  20. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

:laugh:

She is anyway likes this.
  21. Bemagnus

That might be true

22. Tony Stucchio

Tony Stucchio Active Member

"Why do we listen to music?"
    Because it's better than listening to our wives/husbands/partners.
    :)

But seriously folks, for me it satisfies an inner craving, much like scratching an itch or eating.
    For recorded music, it allows me to hear artists that are long gone.
    Try to imagine what it was like before there was a way to record music. You had to hear it live. And most likely most of what you heard was bad due to poor talent. (Just attend a grammar school band concert. You'll want to make a beeline to the nearest exit when the first note is played.)
    Another reason: if you want to perform yourself, it is much easier to learn if you can listen to how a piece of music, or instrument, is supposed to be played.

23. Bemagnus

Music-imo- is an easy and not expensive way to go to other places without travelling. The same goes for art, litterature, theatre, movies etc. Everything we Call culture
    What somewhat bothers me-these days-is that music more becoming something to consume not experience. To some extent it s always been like that but the digital media, talent shows and all makes it more obvious. Even the reissue market is in some way a marketing trick - making us buy the same thing over and over with minor changes. The good thing of course is the availability if much music that was hard to find before.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Breath in, breath out.

Night, day, up down open, close, on off.

The beating heart constantly pounding out the endless pulse of the rhythm of life.

Yea, simple tactile arterial palpation of the heartbeat drives life's forces along down it's intricately laid out highway of chemical reactions.

Roaring lions, song birds singing, waves and tides, wind n' wildlife's simple yet sonorous songs, even the crickets rubbing of legs....all are a part of the symphony of life composed for our listening pleasure.

Is it any wonder humankind desires to hear "music"?

It's only natural. It makes perfect sense.

Unless you have no pulse that is.

Better check.

Yup...still there.

Sing on brother....Play on drummer.

Now if a 6 turned out to be a 9.

Oops, sorry, got off on a tangent there. Carry on.

25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

To me, music is more about the mood than the quality of the recording, but I'll take the better recording every time. When I first heard Dark Side Of The Moon, I heard it on a crappy cassette recorder in school brought in by another student, and was I blown away. It didn't matter that it was a couple of watts coming out of a mono speaker. It sounded great to me because of the music. The same with The Beatles. The first time I heard The Beatles was when I bought the 62-66 and 67-70 cassettes and had a mono radio cassette player. I have never been able to that initial buzz again.
    Collecting/analyzing music and being inspired by it are as different as chalk and cheese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.