Why does ebay display such high shipping costs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by 12" 45rpm, Apr 7, 2018.

1. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am trying to sell some speakers on ebay and picked USPS. It said shipping varies from $15-$XX depending on the buyer's location. Ok, that's good. But when I create the listing and view it, it says shipping is $45! Where did that number come from? Why doesn't it show the range?

2. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Forum Resident

Speakers are a tough one, because they tend to be big and heavy. I just sold a pair of bookshelf speakers that only weighed 15 lbs in the original box, and it cost $39 to ship from NJ to CA by the cheapest FedEx.

3. glide

glide Forum Resident

The range is based on location of the buyer and factors in weight, dimensions, and courier.

4. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident Thread Starter

My listing is still active and has no buyer yet. That's why I am confused why it is saying shipping is $45 when it has no idea where the buyer could be located...

5. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

You might check your listing to make sure YOUR location is set to USA.

6. glide

glide Forum Resident

Do you have location services enabled on the device you are checking from? It may well be assuming you are located someplace you are not.

7. Panama Hotel

Panama Hotel Forum Resident

Dimensional weight is a huge factor. It can more than double costs. iirc, it kicks in after one cubic foot, which is not a whole heck of a lot of volume. Considerably more than most speaker pairs, or even most single speakers. Or any safely packed turntable. Or most electronics that are the size of a vintage receiver, etc.