Why Does Mono Sound Bad To Me?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Not to offend, but I can't imagine anything sounding good on that setup.

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Unfortunately the Parlophone 45's were only originally released in mono in the UK, there was no choice in the matter.

My UK record collection is all mono (other than Let It Be & Abbey Road of course), but I much prefer my 2009 Stereo CD set (now in iTunes) over anything. Like you I only play my mono for nostalgia reasons only.

bherbert likes this.
  3. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I listen to mono LPs all the time with headphones. Love it. SL1200MKII w/AT70 cart w/stock conical stylus>Lafayette LR9090 w/mono switch engaged>Monoprice DJ8323 direct from headphone jack. No issues at all. Sounds great through the JBL L19's also.

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

No offense taken. That's why I added that info, just in case it was something wrong with what I've got. Sounds good to me :righton: Don't want to go any higher (plus don't have the money) just in case I get used to it.
    I always liked the weird panning in that, especially in Interstellar Overdrive :D

5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Good. Not trying to be a snob, as we all start somewhere.
    Just wondering if you can get true mono playback through the iPad?

I know nothing about using a computer for audio purposes.
    But, I do know that Mono LPs played through a system without a true Mono output are certainly lackluster in comparison to one with.

I ascend to having a second deck setup for Mono playback at sometime in my near future.

6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Yeah in the settings you can enable real mono playback, or so I believe it is anyway. Probably not any good though.

7. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Why wouldn't you?

Ah, this is because a stereo cartridge will inevitably see different crackles/rumble/groove noise in its two channels, plus some phase error, all of which will create some sort of fake stereo impression. This is a non-issue with digital. A "mono" CD is really the two stereo channels having identical content, crackles and phase errors do not occur. An MP3 created from such a CD will be the same, or it will be the two identical channels summed together to a single one, i.e. true mono.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    atoxique and Pinknik like this.
  8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Honestly I do not understand this fascination with Mono that many on this forum have. I'd rather not listen at all than listen to music in mono. To me the sense of space in a recording is a crucial to making a recording sound good.

atoxique, Ignominious and dalem5467 like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No one has a "fascination with Mono" here. We have a fascination for a superior mix. Sadly, many of them seem to be the mono hit mixes. I'd love every song ever recorded to be in stereo. But a bad mix in stereo vs. a superior mix in mono? If it's a song you love, you'd take the superior mix, correct? Or is it stereo, no matter what? I guess for some it is. That was me when I was 18, not any more.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

EXACTLY!

Actually the truth is there's a whole lotta people who have a fascination with stereo, and yet people who can't handle anything other than stereo accuse people who like mono and stereo of having a "fascination with mono." :laugh:

Grant likes this.
  11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I take you're point on mixes, but I disagree that there aren't folks here who fetishize mono. You did know your site was a fetish site didn't you? :D

[​IMG]

billnunan and D-rock like this.
  12. dkmonroe

Name one person who listens to mono only and NEVER listens to stereo.

dalem5467 and Grant like this.
  13. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

"Theres someone in my head, but its not me...."

14. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Just so were all clear here, there is a common misconception amongst non audiophiles, but still music lovers, that mono is superior *because its mono*. In the case of the Beatles at least, most prefer the mono mix because it is what was originally intended, and also contains more details in some cases, that were burried or lost when they did the stereo mixes. Hopefully this new 2017 Giles Martin stereo remix for Sgt. Pepper corrects this

For me, Ive always hated vocal hard-panning, so if I cant find a mix with centered vocals, Ill try and get mono.

15. dkmonroe

I hear exactly the opposite - that stereo is superior because it is stereo. That sentiment gets aired here in every discussion about the subject. It goes along with the ubiquitous "I have two ears" remark.

Grant likes this.
  16. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

I agree with this as well. I think that theres just too many variables when it comes to deciding mono or stereo.

17. dkmonroe

I don't think it's all that complicated. Listen to both without prejudice and decide what you like. It's the attitude that mono is automatically inferior because it's old fashioned and we all have two ears that starts the controversy. People act like they're being baited just because people prefer the mono mix of something. Or they just think that mono is so "old" that it needs to go away. Exact same dynamic as in LP vs CD arguments - we have the CD, therefore no one needs LP's. We have stereo, therefore no one needs mono. And when someone expresses a preference for one of these "old-fashioned" things, people get all combative.

Grant and raq0915 like this.
  18. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

I listen in mono only, with one speaker. I prefer mono and wholeheartedly believe it possesses some objectively superior qualities over stereo playback, though these are not the reasons I listen to mono exclusively.

Come at me with what you've got, I've made peace with my maker.

19. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Having listened as a kid to music on headphones in both mono and stereo taking in ambiphonics I don't find hearing sound come from the centre bad or distracting from the performance as it is enveloping. Do I love stereo? Yes not least for classical music and stereophonic recording certainly has its advantages but there times where older mono popular recordings just sound that more 'together' than a rushed stereo mix and that mix and presentation is the better one.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We had a big long thread about this very mindset a year or two ago. People will settle for less and convince themselves that it is "good enough". They don't quest for anything better because they may find out how wrong they are. Many times people convince themselves because they don't have the money, which is really the reason.

As for mono, the reason people like it is because those mono mixes were done differently than the stereo ones. In the 60s and early 70s, it was the mono mixes/versions that were deemed important by the producers, engineers, and the artists. The stereo mixes were usually the afterthought. So, when you listen to, say, The Beatles or Motown in mono, that's what they wanted. That's what the hit singles sounded like and made the money. They were often called "the money mix".

I don't know exactly what you are listening to in mono compared to the stereo mixes, but mono can be just as ambient as any stereo mix. I think the problem is that people who greatly prefer stereo get addicted to the "ooh cool" aspect of it, rather than how good they actually sound.

Are you trying to suggest that audiophiles always prefer stereo? If that's the case, you couldn't be more wrong about that.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  21. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

The Who Quadrophenia should answer that, the way the gents in the studio did some tweeking to the sound to make the album wild. Mono is good for old school jams and vibes, but from the late 60's on up stereo is the way to go.....:cool:

billnunan likes this.
  22. dkmonroe

Yeah, when they stopped actually issuing mono mixes, that did kinda put the kibosh on the whole mono thing. :laugh:

23. Johnny Rocker

You said very nekkid, Uh, hu, huuu, huuu.:righton:[​IMG]

andrewskyDE and Grant like this.
  24. Johnny Rocker

Gotta' love stereo, Stereo its a Texas thing.[​IMG] [​IMG] Yehaw!!!

25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Oh, is that what I said? Or did I just say some folks around have a hard on for mono recordings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.