Why does my TV's component input only give diagonal lines?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

OK - new Sony TV, new Sony DVD/VCR, connected using component cables. I play a DVD and just get diagonal lines - no picture. I've double and triple checked the connections and they look right to me. Any ideas?

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Is it possible you've got the DVD player set to progressive while the TV is interlaced. I haven't tried that before to see what results, but it's a thought.

3. Chris Desjardin

Yes - when I shut off the progressive button on the DVD player, I get a picture. Is there a way to set the TV to progressive, or is it only interlaced. Is progressive better quality that just component?

4. Chris Desjardin

Sony DVD player, Sony TV. Both new. Why does the DVD player output in 480P and the TV only do 480I? Does this make sense to anyone?

5. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

To use progressive scan your tv needs to be HDTV ready.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I don't have any first-hand experience with component video cables as my current DVD player can only be hooked up with S-Video or composite and since I have a composite TV and the only video input I have is with the VCR, I have to use composite and I'm not complaining about the picture of the TV I am using for now, but it is when I get more experience with component video that my taste in video will change.

7. Chris Desjardin

Huh. Wish the sales guys had told me that. I told them I didn't have digital cable and really had no plans to get HDTV when it's available. I didn't know I needed an HDTV ready set to use progressive scan. Damn!

8. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Yep, just having component inputs does not mean the TV will accept a progressive image. You'll still want to use the component connections because dvd video itself is in the component format, so you stay true to the source by using component. When you use S-video or composite connections, the dvd player has to downconvert the video from it's native component format. I wouldn't worry about progressive scan. It is not a night and day difference like people are lead to believe. It is better, but just not a knock you over the head difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.