Why does your system not sound good sometimes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ski Bum, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Maxx,

Great idea. :thumbsup: I'll need to pass however..... i really need the exercise. :D

Take care,
    Jeffrey

2. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile Thread Starter

Yep. I'm now convinced that the higher voltages caused the hardness I was experiencing. The voltages have been normal since then, and the system has been sounding great. (I've even done some additional tweaking -- Aurios with ball bearings under the phono pre-amp -- that produced some fabulous improvements, so I'm not even pouting anymore.)

Like you, my power amps are outside my power conditioner. My monoblocks are in dedicated high quality outlets (tho' they're not as nice as yours). I don't think it is practical to try to produce clean power that would not current constrain my monoblocks. (My three channel amp for the surround channels is also outside the power conditioner, as is the 1000 watt amp in my subwoofer, but they weren't even playing when I experienced the hardness about which I complained.) I'm sure my Monster Power unit is not state of the art, but I question whether I will get much improvement from a regenerator if I'm not addressing the monoblocks' power. Also, I simply can't handle more heat in the room. That's one of the principal reasons I've stayed away from tube power amps and Class A solid state amps. (One of the unsung virtues of the Halcros is that they don't generate much heat.) If I see the voltage is high again, I'll just watch a movie.

In any event, I think it would be fun to get together to compare systems.

3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Hal, I know what you mean about heat, right now the only wing of my house that is central AC is the bedroom wing, the rest is on it own no AC. I cannot bring myself to turn on the power amps in weather like this. My hope is to central AC the entire house, then step up to a couple of PS Audio P500's for the mono-blocks (140 watts now, who knows in the future). the problem with that is I will have to have some dedicated lines run which will probably mean tearing up the floor. If I do that I want to improve the floor wood (white maple as opposed to red oak) and install in floor heating. So as you can see this becomes a money pit. If only I could win the lottery or my companies stock hits $150. :sigh: Let's plan on comparing system this fall when the weather improves. :thumbsup:

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I found that cleaning contacts with Caig makes the most difference. I like listening at night as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.