Why don't live bands do THAT anymore..?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moomaloo, Sep 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I never saw Hot Tuna back in the day, but I've always heard they played marathon shows. I think it was Papa John Creach who commented Jack and Jorma were wearing their drummer(s) out.

seed_drill likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Howabout, every time the singer adresses the crowd as the town he thinks he's in, he's bewildered at all the blank stares..."Hello Springfield Ohio!!!..." "Come on, Niagra Falls, let's make some noise...!"

Comet01 and Bowland like this.
  3. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

One thing I wish I missed: encores. What a load of pretentious BS. Just play your set and say “goodnight”. Don’t waste my time waiting for your last song.

4. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Agreed; and in a related point to yours... I can't say it's something that was discernibly a regular thing of the past; often yes; but it does seem like something I never see "these days"; is an artist or a band without a planned; as to say, just a planned part of a show encore. To me an encore of note is when a performer concludes a performance and where the audience is so blown away and grateful that they won't let the performer end the show... they need / beg for more. A sign of approval and thanks by the audience that the show was far beyond what might have been expected and the encore being a sign of thanks to the audience and a recognition of their thanks by the artist. I do remember when a time when a call for an encore was this dialogue and the artist or band would either ask what the audience might want to hear or they; the performers would pow-wow, huddle-up and determine what they might want to play and what the audience might want to hear.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It's like tipping, you're not going to get anywhere insisting on the original meaning...

ianuaditis and Loup like this.
  6. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

There's always Gorillaz.

DrBeatle and starduster like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's a big problem here in Kansas City, MISSOURI. Bands not familiar with the area might logically assume that Kansas City is in KANSAS. Yes, there is one, but it's tiny compared to KCMO. So they frequently shout "How ya doing, Kansas?" and get people shouting back "You're in Missouri, bozo!"

krock2009, trd, SandAndGlass and 4 others like this.
  8. bodine

bodine Senior Member

I miss Frank Zappa and Motörhead giving an assortment of dolls and stuffed animals whipped cream enemas.

Rocko, krock2009, vudicus and 4 others like this.
  9. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

How about an actual ticket? I have a treasured collection of ticket stubs from back in the day. These days most of the time you either print it at home on regular paper or store it on your phone. It’s more convenient to be sure, but I do miss having a real ticket to keep as a souvenir.

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Imagine being in a new town each and every day...very easy to forget where you are and what day it is.

11. Overthehillsandfaraway

Sounds strange, but from my early gig going (early 90s) I miss bum notes, things sounding rough, being real.

Obviously it's not fun if the whole gig is really bad. But the seeming total absence of any bloopers is just as bad imo. Nowadays, things are so remarkably "perfect" live at a big show. I've posted before on another thread, but I suspect there's a lot more backing tapes and offstage "help" than many bands admit.

12. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

I used to go to see a local group called Engine quite a lot, they used to play in pubs and small venues. They were heavy rock but very tongue in cheek, would do all the cliches and were great with the audience. One example, after their first number one night they bawled "It's great to be here in ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE", to which the audience all groaned back in unison: "No it isn't".

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Why don't live bands artists do THAT anymore..?

Sing and play everything LIVE.

14. Overthehillsandfaraway

I couldn't believe it when some US pop star admitted miming all the time on her latest tour. This was about a decade back. If you pay $50 to see that, you're basically paying thru the nose to see someone dance! What on earth is the point?

15. Petercheck

Petercheck Author of 'Channelling The Beat!'

Best example I know of was back in the '80s, when Jerry Lee Lewis said to a Belgian audience how good it was to be in Holland...

krock2009, trd and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Memorize lyrics. I'm sure most singers know the words to their own songs but I'm tired of seeing guest appearances or cover songs where the singer is staring at the teleprompter the whole time and not quite getting the timing right.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  17. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I grew up in Springfield Ohio. Biggest show we ever got was Seals & Crofts. :mad:

18. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Do they still do auto tune?

19. Petercheck

Petercheck Author of 'Channelling The Beat!'

One thing I did think was a thing of the past was hit-making acts selling their own records/CDs after shows, but last year I saw Maddy Prior (of Steeleye Span fame) with her own band, and she came out in the interval to sell raffle tickets! Great show though!

Man at C&A and coffeetime like this.
  20. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Smashing guitars.

I mean, I think it's stupid when anyone else than Pete Townshend (or the late Kurt Cobain) does or did it. Only time I saw it live was Kiss in 1997 - Paul Stanley clearly switching to a generic Iceman that almost broke in a pre-determined pattern. It looked *so* contrived when he did (because it was).

Also, have you ever tried smashing a guitar onstage? I have. It's actually not easy to do and you hurt your hands. In my case, it was a Strat copy that wasn't cooperating, so I went for the big finish - it would not break. *Also,* you look ridiculous (because you're not Pete Townshend or Kurt Cobain) and people will laugh at you.

Rocko, moomaloo, krock2009 and 9 others like this.
  21. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

3 pages and no Beatles..??????

Ok then, my memory of the early 60s is that it wasn't just the Beatles in the UK who made sure that every member of the group , including the drummer...... got to sing at least one song at the gig. . It felt like the continuation of a music-hall tradition and i love the fact that it carried forward to their albums as well as the live shows.

or maybe it was just the Beatles.......

22. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The Dropkick Murphy's did it only last year!

23. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I threw a fit a few weeks ago (not going to explain) and came home to find my old purple little radio unplugged in the bathroom, and I was already POd about something else, so I grabbed the little purple radio that looked like something a kid would carry around in the early 70s, and started smashing it on the corner of the vanity.
    I was out of control, but the damn thing wouldn't break. A lens came off, and it ceased to function, but I couldn't even crack the plastic case. Tough little bugger.

24. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Ashlee Simpson was still doing it a few years back.

shirleyujest, Comet01 and Jimmy B. like this.
  25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Britney Spears was in the tabloids for forgetting what town she was in recently, and having to ask one of her dancers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.