Why don't you post your equipment under your profile?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tom Littlefield, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Well-Known Member

I'm confused... I don't see yours either?

2. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot The Passion of the Was

Do people really think someone is going to be able to trace them through their digital front end?

Vince Gill likes this.
  3. David A.

David A. Well-Known Member

Rather than listing in profile, listing in Signature is faster to access for anyone interested in what equipment a poster owns.

Doug_B and Slimwhit33 like this.
  4. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's absolutely there on my profile page under information where everyone's is including yours.

Did you even bother to look?

5. Slimwhit33

I keep mine in my signature.. I thought that's what everyone did... easy Tom, didn't mean to offend.

6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Resident

Because it's not relevant, and because it's nobody's business but my own.

Also, what a person currently owns is not reflective of what systems he/she *has* owned, or doesn't own but has reasonable access to, or has heard. And since room and placement and component pairing have a significant impact on how a system sounds, nobody can infer what a particular component sounds like, unless they own it paired with the exactly the same components, being heard in exactly the same room.

In other words, the negatives associated with having a gear profile far outweigh the positives, because almost all assumptions made about how it sounds will be false.

krisbee, Deano6, H8SLKC and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tom Littlefield

Then you have two conflicting profiles, there is a difference in your sig system and the one you have listed under info.

8. Slimwhit33

Am I going to get arrested?

Based on this thread, I'm guessing people don't list their equipment because they don't want to be harassed. I'll delete mine now.

H8SLKC, Scott222C and Rolltide like this.
  9. Tom Littlefield

Not trying to harass anyone, just trying to be helpful...

10. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

If you look around the world wide interweb at different forums relating to hobbies, which this is one, members do list what they own. Be it cars, guns, TVs, computers, cameras, motor cycles heck even barn animals.......So I don't get why this forum is so against listing your gear in the information area of your profile........Relax your too uptight! :D

It is a suggestion from our host SH, to list your gear if you plan to participate in the discussion of gear and opinions on sound and performance, this way others have a perspective of where your opinion is coming from, that's all. I have yet to see anybody get made fun of because they don't own a $5K turntable, that's crazy and I am sure the mods would kill that stuff quickly.

Whether I spent $500 or $5,000 on my system does not matter, I proudly list my gear and welcome any comments good or bad, but if bad........GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :righton::laugh:

sturgus, nosliw and curbach like this.
  11. Otlset

Otlset Forum Resident

Maybe some members are so "edgy" that defying the request is the cool thing to do.

MusicNBeer and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Forum Resident

I've heard/read similar paranoid feelings in the past, yes.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek Please label the photos you post

14. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

Was it necessary to create another thread on this? You started the same exact thread just this year. Why don't you post your equipment under your profile? It's 7 pages and still open for discussion so I'm not sure why the need to start another. While I agree with most of your points it seems odd to bring this up again when there's obviously been some ill will and disagreements in your first attempt.

H8SLKC, Scott222C, shaboo and 2 others like this.
  15. It's an OPTION, not a requirement. Everyone has the right to decide for themselves and for whatever reason. It's not up to anyone to criticise their choice.

H8SLKC and snowman872 like this.
  16. allied333

allied333 Forum Resident

At times some want privacy. For example, they may not want to list their $50K system.

H8SLKC and tensummoner like this.
  17. Slimwhit33

Agitators gonna agitate...

Kristofa, H8SLKC and Scott222C like this.
  18. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Very true. Or a $50 system.

tensummoner likes this.
  19. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I understand the issue about avoiding people who say "you need a more resolving system" (and personally could care less whether somebody lists their gear) but know this, from my perspective. Once you've been around the bend enough times, one should not be a gear 'snob'-- I know those are just words, but in my life experience you reach a point where having the latest, the greatest, the "best" (whatever that is, there is no such thing) can be irrelevant.
    I'll make an analogy at the risk of triggering precisely what I'm saying shouldn't be the case. I was very involved in exotic cars- not selling them, or in the business of them. Just buying and driving the hell out of them. I had a lot of Ferraris, seriatim, at one point in my life. (Sorry). There was this "attitude" among some owners that was stupid-- they didn't have some rare 375MM with a handmade body from the '50s, they had a production car. An expensive one, to be sure, but still. All it took was money. And at a certain point, I was driving older Porsches and loving them. I couldn't have cared less about the prestige of the marque or 'bragging rights.' There were guys driving tweaked Miatas who could leave me in the dust on the track if it came down to it.
    So, I guess my point of view, for what it's worth (and that may be nothing)-- is that anybody who cops attitude b/c someone else's system isn't 'good enough' is wrongheaded. (I'm trying to be politic here). If you are into this stuff, and many of the folks here worked in studios, did production work, etc., they aren't into it for the bling.
    Yours truly,
    Somebody with a lot of expensive equipment who isn't an XXSWWWW. (or hope I'm not).

Rt66indierock likes this.
  20. Rt66indierock

Rt66indierock Active Member

In my case everything but the DAC is modified so not much point.

21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Isn’t listing ones system part of the set of rules laid out on this forum? I think I saw that somewhere at some point. Maybe I’m wrong but it should be.

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yeah, if someone complains that, say, the highs are glaring and I see what equipment they have, I'll say to myself, "Well, no wonder!" :D

Nielsoe likes this.
  23. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I agree with you JV, it is an OPTION, and nobody should be criticized for their ultimate choice. But if you think about it, it makes sense to list your gear.......In the music section I don't comment on Country, Classical or even the Beatles, because I don't listen to that music and I have nothing to contribute in a thread about it. But you should notice that in my info page about my musical preferences and I have no issue if I get called on that.

If you join a motorcycle forum, and start asking questions or making comments, I promise you another member will ask you what bike(s) you own........If you say you don't own any or prefer not to say, I suspect your opinions will not be taken in seriousness or probably be ignored altogether. Which is fine if you plan on just being a lurker, but I think participating in discussions requires some kind of background detail. Many, many members offer advise or suggestions or impressions, so regardless an OP needs to weed thru the comments and make their own decisions on who to pay attention to. I don't think nobody wants to not be paid attention to, so I see both sides but lean towards listing your gear.

Johnny Vinyl and Nielsoe like this.
  24. allied333

allied333 Forum Resident

Yes, that would be a embarrassment for some.

snowman872 likes this.
  25. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

You can also ask if it is right for somebody to be critical of a manufacturer, recording, mastering, etc...if they don't have their system listed.

Nielsoe likes this.