Why hasn't Jim Morrison's HWY ever been officially released?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Captain Leo, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Captain Leo

Captain Leo Forum Resident Thread Starter

We saw in that documentary that came out a few years ago that there exists an HD transfer of it - does anyone know why the whole film hasn't been given an official release? It might not be a "good" film per se but it would be a treasure to own.

Encuentro likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i keep hearing it will be released eventually

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There may not be a market for it. I suspect that if it is ever released, it will be tagged onto another release as a bonus. I've also read that all solo Morrison works are owned by the Morrison/Courson estate and that The Doors would not have anything to do with its release.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Captain Leo

It should definitely be added as a bonus. Jim intended for it to be released, didn't he? I've read he was satisfied with the film, unfinished though it was. He showed it publicly during his lifetime.

Encuentro and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, he screened it at a number of film festivals. I believe he was very proud of it. If I remember correctly, he carried a copy of it, along with a copy of Feast of Friends, around Paris with him shortly before his passing hoping to get it screened there. However, in one of the last interviews ever given, he referred to the film as "more of an exercise."

In the informal 1971 interview Morrison gave to Ben Fong Torres, Morrison states the film "...was more of an exercise for me and a warm-up for something bigger."
    HWY: An American Pastoral - Wikipedia

Simon A likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Forum Resident

Because it's probably terrible and not marketable. It's as simple as that.

showtaper likes this.
  7. Captain Leo

Could easily be added to a legacy release as a bonus. And given it's the only film Morrison produced in his lifetime I imagine there would be some interest. Also, it'd be paying respect to the man and his legacy to release it. He wanted it out there, and the negatives are just sitting there collecting dust.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Forum Resident

if sales of the endless parade of doors reissues tell you anything at all, a morrison product of any kind would sell.

doors fans buy anything, they buy albums on which every song they already have....twice, they'll buy this, in droves. it's the lizard king for goodness sakes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Forum Resident

Some years ago I’m pretty sure I saw copies of this film for sale from a less than legitimate source. I’m sure somebody here has seen it.

10. Captain Leo

Yes there are very low quality bootlegs, but look at how amazingly bits of it looked on that recent documentary. Doing a restoration of a 50 minute film can't be too hard or too costly. I know I'd buy it.

jsayers, Matthew Tate and Encuentro like this.