Why I like vintage gear, how about you?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sunrayjack, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

I run modern tube gear in my main system and then vintage SS in another half dozen systems scattered throughout the house and garage. The main system definitely has the most of everything going for it, but all of the vintage systems sound good as well, each in its own way. All has been completely rebuilt, partly because I don't like the possibility of things deciding to blow up, especially when my back is turned. The system in our loft bedroom is particularly enjoyable, Accuphase E-202 integrated and T-100 tuner, Denon DCD-3300 CDP (modded), Braun PS-500 turntable, B&W DM-1400 speakers. Sounds very convincing playing at really low levels at night or raising the roof at other times.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

My first amp that I purchased from a high end stereo store was a 13-WPC Pioneer integrated amplifier, I always liked the sound.

Next, I Purchased a Sansui AU-717. It had a lot more power that the Pioneer and was extremely detailed but I thought the sound was cold and clinical.

After the Sansui, I bought a Crown DC-300A. I thought it also had a clinical sound. The DC-300A was marketed as a "laboratory amplifier".

Then, I picked up a used Marantz integrated. I found this to have the most pleasing sound out of all of them, less harsh.

The Pioneer was my second favorite as far as SQ goes.

I also liked everything Pioneer, except for their speakers. I never much cared for the speakers from any of the Japanese firms that made audio equipment.

I preferred the sound of American made speakers better.

Manimal and The Pinhead like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Amen to that bro !!!!:righton:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Some of this stuff is so nice

5. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Idk bout Vintage, but all my gear is old Technics SA-500 / Pioneer SA-508 / Yamaha DSP-E200 also Pioneer TT and Technics TT SL-Q303 plus few other bits..Technics and Cambridge Audio CD Players.. Hell even my Monitor Speakers and Sub are Old JPWs..

My Favourite out of Tha Amp/Receivers is Pioneer, but that's partly because Technics developed few issues.. No Repairs Shops round my way..so it'll have to sit, but liked it so much I still keep a look out on FleaBay and in 2nd hand Shops..

I actually had same JPW Speaker setup when it was new which is 20 years ago.. I think ..

Tbh I think I look into old gear more than new gear now a days ..

Just off to read up on this.. Fisher 500C

atb

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Some of my stuff. Most of it is in the basement.

Solid State. The two top Pioneers I bought in China a long time ago. They are both 100 volts but the two piece unit can be adjusted for 120 volts. The middle one can't so I need to buy a step down trans. The Harman Kardon looks like a car dashboard but doesn't really sound all that great. My buddy bought it thinking it was tubed but it was solid state so he sold it to me for $10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Manimal, sunrayjack, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  7. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

love the look of a lot of vintage gear but overall id say i love the romance of it rather than the application

8. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Turntables. The last two tables are in such good condition, especially the covers. It took me a while to find the right belt for the Pl-50. I only know of one seller that has the exact size belt. All the other sellers sell ones that aren't correct. The Luxman has a slight speed problem, I need to adjust it every once in a while. The Technics runs perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Manimal, e.s., sunrayjack and 2 others like this.
  9. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Tubed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Stereo Recital was my first ebay purchase many years ago. I wanted a tubed 'something' so I bought this for $100. I know, too much money. It sounds so so but about 10 years later, when I started to be educated on tubes and such, I found out it had five Telefunkin 12ax7's in it.

Manimal, sunrayjack, bluesky and 2 others like this.
  10. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Last. Not as vintage but it was my first ever proper piece of stereo equipment. I bought it in 1990 or 91. It still works and I currently use it with my old TV and dvd player in the basement when I am down there messing around.

[​IMG]

11. The Pinhead

:righton::righton::righton::righton::righton:

Manimal and sunrayjack like this.
  12. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident Thread Starter

how do you post a picture like this on this site?

13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

14. The Pinhead

Since Photobucket's been acting out I've been using this hosting. It's fast and straightforward.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  15. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I'm crazy about Paula Prentiss, such a great self-possession and uniqueness, I loved her in the Stepford Wives, she looked great, was snarky and the role was very innovative. As for stereos, I was always partial to older ones, especially after getting burnt by a lot of so-so stuff from the '80s and '90s. Even the mid-level older stuff was better than comparable stuff from later eras.

sunrayjack and ZackyDog like this.
  16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Man, I love the look and sound of vintage Sansui gear!

We've got a Sansui 2000x in my fiancee's art studio. At one point, I had three of them because I kept finding nice ones on the cheap and just couldn't help myself. Gave two away to friends who were getting back into vinyl and wanted help building vintage systems.

My main system is 100% vintage Sansui -- AU-999, TU-999, SR-828, and SP-3200s -- and then I've got another SR-838 in my home office that I use with an AU-555 and TU-555, plus SP-30s. Hoping to upgrade my speakers to SP-3500s at some point, but finding a minty set in my area has been challenging so far.

Question for anyone with a Sansui turntable: What cartridge are you using?

sami likes this.
  17. sunrayjack

I just finished cleaning up the pots on a Kenwood KA-9100 amp I bought a long time ago, what an amazing sound they have.
    It was dropped on it's head when the post office delivered it, well one corner anyway.
    The controls were scratchy and I just put it back in a corner disappointed .
    Needing a project today I got it out and cleaned it and replaced the face plate with a new one.
    I hooked it to some realistic optimus - 18 speakers to test it and man did it sing , the combination was super, played a David Gilmore album thru it on a technics sl-23 table.
    That's what I like about this vintage gear, the unexpected surprises that seem to always happen when I start playing around with it.

Dave and Manimal like this.
  18. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

A few of the many things in use around here. I definitely have a vintage problem...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. sunrayjack

inperson likes this.
  20. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I was joking. No offense at all :D

21. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

Aloha
    Yes vintage audio gear is solid and can sound excellent
    To many brands to name all
    For example this items :edthumbs:

Cheers
    Wally
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    URL

Dave, Manimal, BigGame and 3 others like this.
  22. Walter Koehler

Aloha

Good old Sansui AU-777D still going strong

Cheers :cop:
    Wally
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  23. Walter Koehler

Aloha

Vintage Sansui AU-70 paired with modern Aldi Network Player
    Sounds gorgeous looks kind of spacy

Cheers :tiphat:
    Wally
    [​IMG]

Manimal, BigGame and e.s. like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

What you have is more closely related to A7's (800) than the model 19's.

25. sunrayjack

I would agree except the drivers are mounted to the front of the baffle rather than being recessed back in the cabinet.
    the front of the horn and the front of the lf driver are in the same plane.
    They are crossed at 1200 hz rather than 500 hz , cabinet volume is not the same as the A-7's or th 19's.
    I should call them modified model 19's, I do call them my version of 19's.
    Does the home model of the A7's have a flat baffle or the recessed baffle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.