Why I Love/Hate Vinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dudley Canuck, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudley Canuck

Dudley Canuck Active Member Thread Starter

I'm hoping others will add.

Since CDs came out I never looks back and wanted to list my reasons why.

While I loved the nostalgia vinyl brings such as finding a gem of a release in my youth.
    Add to that the great Art having more impact because of the larger size...
    I hate vinyl for the following reasons...

The interruptions...I listen to music at home in my bed mostly so I hated getting up to turn the record over.
    But it's not only a lazy issue.
    Back in the late 70's/early 80's I Imported the Ramones release It's Alive.
    This was a 2lp release that meant an entire concert was split on four sides with fake fade in/out added.
    It wasn't until I recorded the vinyl to tape and crudely edited out the fade-outs that I truly appreciated this concert AND the Ramones in general.

Pops and Cracks...I have no idea why vinyl enthusiasts forgive this major audio flaw...it drives me nuts.

Warped Records...The slightest warp gives the audio a heavy thump...another pet peeve although not as common.

The sensitivity of a turntable...If you have a wooden flour you know that Tip toes just don't fix this problem.

Improperly made vinyl...

OK this will include a few different problems.
    A hole punched off center...I had a release by Echo & The Bunnyman where the hole was so of you could see and hear the tone-arm sway back and forth.
    The final cuts on each side sounded like a off centered 45 single.
    Grime...I had one record (Joy Division's first release) that I Imported from factory and the damn thing crackled so much I was wondering if it was intentional since a Nitty Gritty cleaner couldn't remove the gunk.
    It wasn't until the CD came out that I was positive the noise didn't belong :)

Add to the above and the fact that vinyl was useless in the car and more importantly digital CAN sound like anything (including vinyl) I'm amazed people tell me vinyl is better without admitting it's based on nostalgic feelings.
    And, yes, I'm aware that some can say there are horrible CDs as well which brings me back to my original Pet Peeve...Pops and Cracks.
    I keep my vinyl pristine yet it's always rearing its ugly head.

2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Life has pops and crackle.

vinyl13, Paul K, VinylRob and 11 others like this.
  3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Less than 1 percent of my records have pops and cracks.

More than 1 percent of my CDs sound like crap.

I'm not supporting one format over another, I love both, just sayin'.

4. Wheel Me Out

Wheel Me Out Well-Known Member

I like having to get up and flip the record. Like an intermission in a movie it's nice to have a pausing point built right in to get up and move a bit, get some blood flowing to the brain and whatnot.

5. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Here we go again :pineapple:

7. Dudley Canuck

Feel free to ignore this thread if it bothers you :)

8. I have a lot of music on CD and have a great CD player. It sounds wonderful to me and is very convenient to use. I got back into vinyl about a year ago with the purchase of a nice turntable, MC cartridge, step up transformer and such. While I fully understand the OP's concerns with vinyl, for some reason I seldom if ever play CD's anymore. They are great if I have a party or if I am cleaning the house or something. When I am doing some serious listening, it is always the vinyl rig that is put to the task. I can't explain why, but despite it's shortcomings I prefer to listen to vinyl. While spinning records is my preference, why not enjoy both! I will not be getting rid of any CD's or equipment any time soon.

9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Jeez, another one of these...
    :-popcorn:

John, Hawklord, Scott222C and 5 others like this.
  10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I love CDs because science "proves they're perfect." I love records because my ears and brain reward me with far greater pleasure than with "perfect."

11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

At the moment I'm listening to Callas sings Verdi at La Scala on a mono 33CX ,.Somewhere in a box of CDs I have the same album.
    I play this old record because it feels right. It's the same recording but it just feels more alive.

Dominick and willied like this.
  12. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Born in 1943 > grew up with 78's, then 45's, then lp's. It's my way of life. I like having the responsibility of cleaning them and making TT and cart adjustments to get the best sound that I can. I have a role as to what comes through my speakers. I like the jackets vinyl comes in - I can read the damn things! To me they are just more fun and have life, warmth, and detail I don't get from CD's.

Dominick, willied, 1970 and 5 others like this.
  13. 45rpm lp masterings, as close to the master tape as one can get without being there.

14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Fascinating.

[​IMG]

willied and Coricama like this.
  15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Oh I wouldn't miss another one of these for the world :laugh:

16. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

cd's are like a pretty person lps are like a sexy one

HiFi Guy, BuddhaBob, Sailfree and 2 others like this.
  17. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Vinyl.......I was just thinking that as I grew up in the 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's, I never once played vinyl. I played records. I bought records. My friends and I listened to, and enjoyed, records which we bought at the record store. Or maybe even at K-Mart. Vinyl was something that was on top of the car. I still prefer records, but to each his own. For the "record", I love CD's as well.

18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I don't feel any love in this thread....

19. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Vinyl & CD live happily together. I would hope to see the same togetherness on this forum.

[​IMG]

Dino, ruben lopez, Sailfree and 2 others like this.
  20. Dudley Canuck

I gave Vinyl points for gooey good nostalgic feelings and the cover Art...no?:)

dennis the menace likes this.
  21. Dudley Canuck

I disagree and so do the likes of Artists like Niel Young.

22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

23. Dudley Canuck

Funny...I've NEVER come across a vinyl record that doesn't have at least one pop or crackle.
    I JUST bought the Divine Horsemen's Middle Of The Night on vinyl and digitized it for my DAP.
    I had to fix all the pops and cracks on a lp never played.

Besides, It's more than pops and cracks...it's surface noise.
    I listen to my music mostly with HPs and now that I'm accustomed to complete silence between tracks the surface noise with vinyl also drives me nuts.

24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

John Peel: "Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise.
    I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise."

CCrider92 likes this.
  25. Dudley Canuck

I was hoping people would explain WHY they think one is better this time.
    I searched and made the decision to start anew...sorry if it bothers you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.