Why I Love/Hate Vinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dudley Canuck, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I have a number of Audio Fidelity, DCC and MFSL CD and SACDs that disagree with you.

bluesky, tootull, JMR and 2 others like this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Mine doesn't...

3. There in no Sam Sham and the Pharaohs on any digital hi -res format.

I know, I know! I sound like a broken record player. :blah:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. ptmconsulting

ptmconsulting Member

Ditto!

I enjoy holding a vinyl record.
    I hear better sound from my vinyl playback system than my CD player (and yes, I am an audiophile and have expensive equipment for both).
    I like big cover art.

However,

I also like playing CD's in the car and on my train commute.
    I like plugging in my phone to play music elsewhere in the house or outside.
    CD's and digital music is absolutely more convenient.

Bottom line - both have their place in my life. But all things being equal (including identical mastering) I get better sound and more personal enjoyment from my vinyl playback.

Dino likes this.
  5. How could you NOT like dragging a rock across plastic?
    [​IMG]

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would suggest that a sound wave that is created from vibrating needle is different from digital code being converted by a mico processor. While they can both be accurate the "natural" sound wave created by a vibration is less fatiguing. Others may have different and very valid experiences but I find I can listen to records for longer periods of time than I can with digital sources.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Why is the myth of destruction of vinyl after each play persist? Ok, it is true to some extent, and bad set ups will be much worse. But on a properly set up table, tests have shown no audible change after 1000 plays. Your records are going to outlast you that's for sure, if you look after things.

Johnny Vinyl, royzak2000 and Dino like this.
  8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Why does the myth about digital "slices of time" persist?

The Pinhead and krisbee like this.
  9. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I have lots of LPs and CDs, they both have advantages and disadvantages. I've learned to live with them.

Sailfree likes this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Then stay in your CD cave and have fun!!

11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Because its true. It's called sampling. Although the stepped waveform thing is BS.

12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I stream Youtube audio...

13. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I like my swirly sounding 48kbps MP3's. They sound awesome on my earbuds.

14. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

IMO the answer is more about the masterings than it is about the format. The reality is that for a substantial portion of rock/popular music even the better digital masterings have not been done with the same care & attention to sonic quality as the better vinyl releases. CDs like the DCC Hotel California/MFSL Sea Change are exceptional and may equal/better LPs depending on the playback system, unfortunately digital of this standard is not in abundance whereas superb vinyl is, you just have to identify the better pressings & find them.

Of course there is a lot of great sounding digital and for many I can understand the effort & cost involved with vinyl is not for them. The truth is though, if you want to hear all your music collection at it's best you need both vinyl & digital.

15. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

:laugh:
    Or to get a refill;)

utahusker and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I don't feel any nostalgia for LPs. I actually tried to get back into vinyl in a big way, but can't. All the reasons I stopped buying LPs are still there as much as the mainstream has tried to torpedo the CD. Off centred noisy and warped LPs are the reason I finally switched to CD. I love the way they sound on my Naim and haven't even bothered to hook up my Rega since moving. What really does bother me is the glee some seem to take in the supposed demise of the CD. I'll be playing them and buying CDs from online sites until a die:righton:

17. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident

Give me reel to reel over both. CD vs. Vinyl? Both are in my system and both sound great. My only complaint for Vinyl is inner groove distortion. I do find myself going for the 45 rpm version of rumours by Fleetwood Mac as it has a very realistic sound and life not found on CD.

18. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I wish the pre-recorded 7.5 IPS Stereo 4-track reel to reel was alive and well.
    I love reel to reels too.

19. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

It may be time for a new stylus or cartridge if you get IGD.

20. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

What the original poster is actually saying is that he prefers the sound of magnetic tape digitally transferred to CD vs. magnetic tape to cutterhead. CD seems better at the macro most times but always lacking at the micro. Lack of detail and the artifacts from dithering and anti aliasing filters (noise and phase shift) ruin the CD listening experience for me.

21. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Ever hear a scratched CD?

morinix likes this.
  22. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

One should be careful about using strong words.
    "Hate", like many other four letter words, perhaps even "Love", is such a strong word.
    I'd like not to hate most things... love is a more complicated subject.
    I do love vinyl.

I call it "plowing vinyls".

Slick Willie and morinix like this.
  23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I've never understood this - if life has surface noise already, why make it worse by ADDING more with vinyl? It's like Peel's just agreeing that you're making an already bad situation worse!

It's not like it's not a reasonably witty statement, it's just that it seems to be arguing against the point it thinks it's trying to make.

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

LPs sound good in your feeling, ears, & soul. You can 'get into the music' and spin LPs all night long, one right after another. Analogue sound exciting, but probably isn't as 'accurate', of course.

CDs sound good to your brain, being 'accurate' and all, for awhile. But... being digital, they sound boring after 2 or 3 MAX CDs being played. To me, stale - flat, like No carbonation in your Pepsi.

I prefer LPs but listen to and enjoy both mediums.

LPs are more enjoyable. Prize possessions.

CDs are easier (and so much cheaper to buy now-a-days) and require zero effort to play. CDs are like 'so what - who cares'. Never seen anyone get excited about owning CDs unless they are 'special' CDs like 24K, specific masterings, etc. (collectors CDs).

Playing LPs is more involving and is much more fun. No clicks & pops here - Very very few anyway, all M & M- records.

LPs are great. CDs are fine. Both mediums sure beat cassettes! LOL.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    SandAndGlass, tim185 and royzak2000 like this.
  25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I agree with most of your points,in a way, except the "accurate" part, not sure what that means...are you saying the original mix/mastering may not be as accurate? Just askin'....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.