Why I'm Not Going With Blu-ray (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkmatter, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

My HD journey: I only bought my first Hi def TV about a year and a half ago, I was pretty satisfied with my Sony Wega trinitron, and actually saw where it bettered certain things I saw at best buy. Eventually I began to see the performance get to where I took the plunge on one of the better Sony LED/LCD models.
    Initially I was'nt going to get into bluray, but did. I'll say bluray is definitely better providing the transfer is done well....I'll take a well done transfer on DVD upscaled to 1080P over a mediocre bluray transfer, and about 30 percent or so are mediocre IMO. But discs of any kind will be going away.

2. helter

helter Forum Resident

What is going to replace blu-ray?
    I'm looking to jump:D
    ...and how soon???

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I like Blu-Ray a lot. For me, it is as big a jump as it was from VHS to DVD, if not bigger.

4. Blu-ray is likely to be the last, mass market physical media for home video. The studios are always working on future formats but many of them privately believe that downloading and streaming will replace physical media completely within 10 years.

4K discs will eventually be available but the studios think it will be a small niche market like laserdisc was in the 90s.

5. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Hate to see this thread loose it's momentum........... :D:D:D

6. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

It's a 5 disc DVD set. At most, that's 40 GiB (assuming all discs are full, and I doubt they all are). BDs can hold 46.6 GiB. Even with lossless audio that should fit, plus they could improve the image quality by using AVC instead of MPEG2 (still at SD resolution).

7. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

This is a music/audio forum. SQ on BR is much better than DVD. No comparison.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I don't collect movies but I prefer Bluray to DVD if I have the option when I rent movies. If you like movies in Hi-Def (which it seems you do) why not enjoy them on Bluray as well? Are the movies on HBO, Showtime and the Movie Channel in 1080p as well as Hi-Rez audio (DTS-MA/TrueHD)? I prefer not to pay the subscription fees to HBO, Showtime and the Movie Channel for the same movies over and over. Plus I prefer to rent movies when they are current and not have to pay the insane PPV costs.

As I said earlier I can understand why people do not have any interest in Bluray and are quite happy with DVD. But some seem to take and almost confrontational tone to make there point. In effect just trying to start a heated debate with those that prefer Bluray.

Bill

9. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Not sure about US channels but UK HD channels show films in 1080p where available (in a 1080i wrapper on satellite and cable). Presumably in the US it's done in 1080i with pulldown making it 1080p.

Of course you don't get high-resolution or lossless audio on TV though, nor the high bit-rate used on BDs.

10. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

The header of this set of posts started out with "WHY I AM NOT GOING WITH BLU RAY"
    Not Hooray for BluRay Whoo Hoo

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I did not read any of the original thread so I can't comment on the insults that were thrown about back and forth. I was just commenting on what I find positive about Bluray. As I said if someone is happy with DVD thats great and no one should insult them in the process.

Bill

12. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

In some respects, this is the strangest thread I've ever followed on this forum. In other respects, alas, it's all too familiar. :)

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What is the correct settings for dvd/bd TV picture.
    example..
    contrast 10/10
    colour 6/10
    brightness
    etc...

14. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

That completely depends on the TV. Assuming your source (cable/satellite box, BD player, games console, laptop, HTPC) is outputting a neutral image (i.e. it isn't doing any adjusting of its own) then you can use some test images to get those settings correct. I use the Lagom LCD test images but it's up to you. Generally, I've found that with most TVs, the contrast, colour and brightness settings should be roughly in the middle and the sharpness should be low. Noise reduction and frame interpolation should be off also.

You can go one step further and get a proper calibration kit but this is probably taking it too far for most casual viewers.

15. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Somehow I get the feeling you are responding to my "Semi-troll" comment, that didnt say anything about being an idiot or any of the other stuff you added for sympathy.

I used quotations so you would realize it was all kidding Elizabeth:D

None of us into blu ray "Care" if you like or dont like blu ray at all. But if your reasons are suspect or perhaps based on false notions and you repeat things that are blatantly wrong, it does require us to step in and try to correct the mistakes you make in a post.

If you dont like blu ray, or feel the need for it....FINE:righton:

But if you dont like it and then go off on how it isnt much better and all kinda stuff that is not accurate....:shake:

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Exactly! Way back 3 years ago the OP commented:
    So the whole basis of this thread is like a joke that has gone too far.
    On the other hand, several posters are just rehashing their feelings over and over. So in that respect, this thread has gone nowhere. What a paradox!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.