Why is Exile on Main St. held in higher regard than Sticky Fingers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slunky, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slunky

slunky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love both albums. Both have an "aura" to them, and I tend to gravitate to the aura and subject matter of Sticky Fingers more. Every song is strong and the album is a textbook example of what a Rock and Roll album should be - all killer, no filler.

Now, I've never heard anyone say that SF is bad or even so-so. It's generally well liked by fans and critics, but apparently not enough to be called a masterpiece. Why? What makes EOMS the better album?

2. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

As David Briggs would say, it's got the spook.

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Because I like it more..

5. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

6. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Maybe because it's a double album?

7. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

my favorite work from any particular artist is nearly always the album immediately preceding or immediately succeeding the critical darling/sacred cow of their discography.

Thus:

Stones: Sticky Fingers
    Zeppelin: Presence or III
    Rush: Permanent Waves or Signals
    REM: Out of Time or Reckoning
    Bowie: Diamond Dogs or Station to Station
    Yes: Going for the One
    ELP: Trilogy
    Jethro Tull: Benefit or Heavy Horses
    Iron Maiden: Killers or Somewhere in Time
    Neil Young: On the Beach
    The Clash: Give Em Enough Rope or Sandinista!
    Talking Heads: Fear of Music
    Van Morrison: Hard Nose the Highway
    Genesis: Wind and Wuthering or Trespass

.. and the list goes on ..

nearly none of the above are the critical darlings of each band's respective catalog. But each one is my fave by said artist.

8. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Cuz its awesome in general. Even if it only had "Ventilator Blues" and "Loving Cup" followed by 65 minutes of Keith burping into a microphone it would still slay with those two tracks alone. :cheers:

9. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

its not as good and has more filler ,even if its still excellent it doesn't have any Wild Horses or a track that good on it that would stick out ,its all about the same (all excellent that is) not to mention no Can't you hear me knocking

10. ian christopher

Time of No Reply is the "cast aside" Nick Drake songs, and its bloody brilliant!

bhazen and Jimmy B. like this.
  11. ian christopher

But I probably like Aftermath and Beggars Banquet more than Sticky Fingers From a guitar perspective, Sticky Fingers rules all though.

Mr Sam and Fullbug like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

no

13. Zack

Zack Senior Member

[QUOTbothE="GodShifter, post: 11548558, member: 32355"]Maybe because Exile is an actual album whereas Sticky Fingers is an album of leftovers ?

Isn't that the story ?[/QUOTE]

No, Exile is more of an album of leftovers than Sticky Fingers.

I say they are both masterpieces.

Fullbug likes this.
  14. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

is it really?
    I think both are masterpieces.

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Because hep cats and critics think it's cooler to favor albums that don't have the biggest hits on them.

16. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Not by me it's not so i can't really answer the question. I probably shouldn't even be commenting. I'll be off. No-one's posted in The Beatles 1964 Bootleg Recordings thread for at least half an hour. I'm gonna see what's happening. Gimme a shout when the deluxe Sticky Fingers is out. I'll probably be on the other thread still waiting for my Beatle fix.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Sticky Fingers is indeed a masterpiece. Exile is the best rock album ever made.

18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

so twice as good;)

Fullbug likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I always assumed that it was because it was a Double Studio Album in an era when Double Studio Album meant Really Big Artistic Statement. That and the fact that Exile has a sort of arty vibe about it, with the eclectic range of styles and the very earthy takes on the blues and gospel sounds. I've given it a lot of thought (and listening) over the years and I can't think of anything that I'd cut from Exile, but I still consider Sticky Fingers to be a far better album. It's highs are higher and there ain't no lows. It's a large step away from the Beggars/LIB era. By contrast, the sound of Exile isn't that far afield of SF. There's just a lot more of it, and presented a lot more casually.

20. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Both are excellent...:edthumbs:

Fullbug, Scotbot, Sean and 6 others like this.
  21. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

It seems to me that Exil has risen in stature over the last decade or so. When I started getting the Stones like 15 years ago or thereabouts, I remember seeing Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and comps of early singles at the top of the recommended lists. Now it seems to be Exile.

I think Exile is favored a bit because it's grimier and messier, which has come back in style with the prominence of indy/alternative rock in critics' mindsets. Also that Sticky Fingers has more hits.

Me, I do prefer brevity, "hits," all that lame stuff. Exile is a fun record but Sticky is my fave.

tmtomh, JFS3, RelayerNJ and 3 others like this.
  22. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's not even the best Rolling Stones album ever made! :nyah::laugh:

24. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i don't think sticky fingers has to worry much about it's place tin the rollings stones canon....i think it gains in stature while exile wanes just a bit...also exile has had deluxe edition type releases while SF just kind of hangs out in the shadows.

davers likes this.
  25. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Exile is the Stones in all their ragged glory.
    The greatest Stones' album and also probably the greatest rock 'n' roll record ever made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.