Why is Exile on Main St. held in higher regard than Sticky Fingers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slunky, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would add Aftermath.

starduster and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll go with that and I'm going to put it on right now. Thank you.

John Fell likes this.
  3. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

The three best Stones albums (for me):

Beggars Banquet
    Let it Bleed
    Sticky Fingers

This thread reminds me that it's high time I listened to them, and Exile, again. It's been a long time.

4. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Well said and written George! If you don't get it....just play it again. You will reap many rewards.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Just another mention of that particular record is that for me it showcases the genius Brian Jones.

RogerB likes this.
  6. APH

APH Forum Resident

That is true of everything, ever.

But the Rolling Stones are nothing like prog. They are the anti prog.
    Exile is not something arty, difficult or pretentious. Its not neo classical, private school trained hommage to modern classical.

Its rock n roll. Its simple.

7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Objectively, I know Sticky Fingers probably is the superior album from both a songwriting and production perspective but you just can't deny the balls out, no holds barred rawness of Exile. Let it loose, indeed.
    The whole 'recorded in Keith's basement' thing (which for many people is why EOMS has such appeal) is a fine example of "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." It makes for one hell of a classic rock and roll story -and a myth that even Keith Richards (happy 71st birthday, by the way, Keith!) has perpetuated over the years- but the truth is nowhere near as much of Exile was actually recorded in that sweltering Riviera basement as we'd like to think. Plenty of recording was done at Olympic in London, at Stargroves and at Sunset Sound in L.A.; the Nellcote sessions gave us a few basic tracks, but really only the bare bones of what became the final album. Even Jagger's scrawled credits/notes on the inner sleeves present the whole shebang as being recorded at Nellcote, but it wasn't. I wonder why? Did it have something to do with how they were still trying to disentangle themselves from Allen Klein at that point, and that's why they didn't want it to be immediately known that stuff like "Loving Cup" and "Sweet Virginia" were actually holdovers from earlier sessions?

8. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, I think that had something to do with it. If so, it failed, as Klein was able to include four 'Exile' tracks on this 1975 ABKCO promo LP of Stones excerpts:

http://eil.com/Gallery/549362b.jpg

9. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

Interestingly I only finally really 'got it' years after owning the vinyl when it came out on a single CD and I could listen to it without interruption. Maybe a case of 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'?

MikeTV and Jet Age Eric like this.
  10. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

It took me years to 'get' Exile.

One day I just sat down with an "Exile On Main Street" songbook I literally found in an abandoned house...and really gave it a close listen while following along with the lyrics.

BAM!!! It clicked right there and then for me. I don't know how, I can't explain why..but since that day it has crawled under my skin, grabbed me by the throat and hasn't let go.

"Sticky" blew me away right off the bat but there was something magical about "Exile" and the fact that maybe it didn't impress me immediately that has helped it to retain it's potency for me play after play..

But heck, put "Sticky" on and blast it and that's something else entirely...more in your face, great rock and roll.."Exile" is a creeper.

Both two of the greatest rock albums ever put to wax.

11. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

My ranking of the classic 4.

Sticky Fingers
    Tie - Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet
    Exile On Main Street

Exile is great, but not a masterpiece IMO. I like the concept much better than the exection. At least a side too long.

Another Steve and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Sticky Fingers" is terrific but it sounds like The Stones "in a recording studio". I love it but "Exile" captured something that no other album ever has. It's almost mystical, magic, other worldly. They elevated their art to a whole other level, like Led Zep did with IV or Jimi did with "Electric Ladyland" or Stills did with "Manassas".

13. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

Forgoing the mention of recording some tracks in England was likely a ploy to avoid paying the English taxes. I believe they left England in 1971 primarily to escape the brutal taxes they`d been subject to on their earnings. One of the reasons they chose France was because its tax rates were considerably lower than other European countries.

As far as the post-Nellcote recordings sessions in LA - maybe they couldn`t get the legal credentials required to record in the US? I imagine musicians at that time needed some type of working papers, or needed to be a registered member of a musicians` union, or whatever, to lay down tracks in a studio.

14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Let me in, sweetie, to your fair land!

15. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Of the four classic Stones albums from 1968-72 I consider Exile the weakest of the four albums. I still think it is a great album, I just do not listen to it as much. Maybe it is too long. Sacrilege I know. I like Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers better. Do not ask me which is my favorite of those three. They are all the right length for an album IMO. Great songs also.

Moonbeam Skies and starduster like this.
  16. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Disagree, as Fingerprint File is an absolute corker of a Stones track

pablo fanques, bonus and John Fell like this.
  17. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

I wish I could give a proper answer but I can't, I've just forced myself to listen to Sticky Fingers in an attempt to change my mind, but... no...

I don't listen to the Stones much, but when I do it's the 60s stuff and Exile.

Most of the other albums I might put on as background, but I can't usually stomach them as an album to sit down and listen to - Sticky Fingers especially. I first got a copy of it in the early 80s, I knew its heritage and everything, I was SO looking forward to hearing this masterpiece... but I was utterly utterly disappointed, I really couldn't see what the fuss was about - and I must admit, I still can't. There's some good tracks, but the whole thing makes me want to put something else on.

Exile took me a while to get into the rough and ready vibe, I owned it for a few years having only played it once! (I guess I must have been disappointed in that as well - but it didn't have such the big reputation then as it does now.) But once I did get into it... LOVED it ever since. The whole thing hangs together, Mick Jagger is IN the tracks... for me he sounds self-conscious most of the time on Sticky Fingers and doesn't seem to fit in. On Exile, he, and everyone else, seems to be in the moment, living it. I can put it on and it just makes me feel good, there's some stunning stuff in there, and there's always more to hear. Whether they felt the "good time" I feel while they were recording it, who knows? But the finished product is almost a masterpiece of catching a vibe and running with it (I will agree with PhilBorder, though - Soul Survivor, as much as I like it, leaves me feeling "er, why did you end with that?")

I spose I hold Exile in higher regard because I like it, a lot... and Sticky Fingers is just a hugely disappointing "hey let's put something else on" every time I put it on.

It's not like I haven't tried over the years... honest!! Sorry guys...

Actually, I much prefer, er, It's Only Rock and Roll to Sticky Fingers! :D :hide:

OK, I feel much better having admitted all that!

Fullbug, pablo fanques and Centrum like this.
  18. GuyMontag21

GuyMontag21 Forum Resident

A double album carries a lot of mystique - personally, they're always a tough sell with me, and it's rare to see one where every track is a haymaker. (Off the top of my head, the best two I can think of are George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" and The Clash's "London Calling".)

I quite like EOMS but I think it's just excellent - not a masterpiece like Let it Bleed or Beggars Banquet.

19. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Nailed it in one.

bonus likes this.
  20. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

it's more of an experience imo

plus more music. exceptional double albums are hard to come by.

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Jagger has hinted at all that when discussing Exile, so you're probably on to something there.
    Not sure about having or not having legal credentials to record in the States (you could be correct there as well) but they spent quite a while at Sunset Sound mixing and overdubbing. The addition of the female backing singers, Dr John, Al Perkins, Bill Plummer and Billy Preston all took place in L.A.- presumably the Stones themselves (plus the horns and Nicky Hopkins) laid down a few overdubs as well, even if done on the sly (Bill Wyman, it is worth mentioning, did not participate in the L.A. sessions but then again he barely participated at Nellcote...as it turns out Sticky Fingers is the last Stones album where Bill played bass on every song!)

22. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I much prefer Sticky Fingers to Exile, so I never understood why it is held in higher regard. I think the Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Sticky Fingers series of albums was the absolute high point for the Rolling Stones and one of the most brilliant run of albums any rock band ever released.

23. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I agree.

24. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I don't think the difference in merit, fondness or critical acclaim is such a great gulf between the 2 albums. I love them both and they are key pieces in the Beggars - Exile run that is viewed as their musical high point.

25. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.