Why is it considered ''taboo'' to not like Hendrix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leonidaas, Jun 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonidaas

Leonidaas Active Member Thread Starter

This is something I've always wondered, we all have our opinions right. I've never understood the greatness of Hendrix music. Granted i was born in the early 90's and didn't experience his music during my youth.

I could find recordings from Cream before Hendrix even released his first albums or played his first gig in England with Clapton on the guitar, it sounded quite similar to what Hendrix did. Except for the whole playing with the teeth thing.

Guitarists like Joe Satriani is incredibly unique in his playstyle, he is brilliant, creative & knows how to make new sounds to make people stay and listen. Surfing With The Allien for example sounded like nothing ever before on the guitar. Did people stop caring on how the guitar evolved after Hendrix or Van Halen?

2. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Cause he is cool.

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm convinced that Hendrix was a genius and an innovator but I do find his music dreary. My loss, I'm sure.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't know if it's taboo, just abysmal taste! :)

5. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

dreary? what an odd descriptor for hendrix- i can think of many reasons why people might not like his work but "dull, bleak, and lifeless; depressing" is 100% not what I expected.

6. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

If ya gotta ask, I would suggest no one can explain!?!

bluemooze, vegafleet, D-rock and 11 others like this.
  7. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Sit down, smoke a joint (not really necessary but why not?) and listen to Machine Gun from Band of Gypsies.

If you don't dig it, you don't dig it.

8. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

It’s not

bob60, JohnBeas, The Killer and 13 others like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I don't find it depressing but dull, bleak and boring sums it up quite well for me.

Not just him though. I like rock music but I'm not keen on many of the iconic guitar hero types.

10. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

boring and overrated

terrible songs

grim

11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

There was guitar before Hendrix and after Hendrix. Even Clapton would say that.
    Hendrix turned it all upside down.
    To downplay his importance by dwafing it into ‘playing with the teeth’ is plain stupid.

However, I get what you are saying:
    Guitar certainly envolved after Hendrix. And personally, I’m not keen on everything he did, especially all the ‘show-off’ things. It did him no favours other than to impress those who think musicianship is all about playing fast.
    Hendrix was an innovative guitarist because he understood to use his talent in great compositions as well. His talents as a songwriter is far too overlooked.
    But almost everyone after Hendrix would not sound the way they did, if he hadn’t been around. Satriani, Van Halen etc. started playing the guitar because of him.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  12. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Ask Joe Satriani what he thinks of Hendrix.

13. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Not taboo at all.

Never liked his music.

14. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Actually, I know more people that aren't a fan than are. At least in terms of owning any albums.

Myself, I'm in the middle of the pack. I consider him an innovator who I marvel at when watching him play. Yet album-wise I never get a great urge to play him. Electric Ladyland is my favorite, but even that one I don't return to as much as the likes of Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Kiss, Aerosmith, etc.

Regardless, I don't think a more dazzling and intuitive guitar player has ever existed. He was truly mesmerizing and changed everything.

15. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Jimi Hendrix is to the electric guitar what Michael Jordan is to Basketball.
    However, Jimi Hendrix is to singing/songwriting what Michael Jordan is to Baseball.

16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Eric Clapton sounded nothing like Jimi Hendrix. Nobody did.

17. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

It's not taboo to not like; but it is clueless to not get why/how it mattered. what was strikingly new about it at the time. Sure, others were headed more or less 'in that direction', but when AYE came out Jimi left them in the dust like Secretariat at the Belmont. Others have done other, perhaps equally, wonderful things, but none of them are what Jimi was in that time. He was the great leap forward for electric guitar. It was like he'd grabbed time and tonality and bent them to his will.

18. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

When it comes to taste in music, there is no right or wrong. Period. And if someone tries to tell you differently, they're wrong! :D

aina, simoncm, r2rcollector and 10 others like this.
  19. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

If you don't hear the difference between Clapton and Hendrix during the 60s, you've not taken a big enough sample size of either.

Good luck.

Report back please!

Tuco, Shambolicus, highway and 20 others like this.
  20. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

"Are Thee Experienced?" :laugh:

21. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Nope not a fair analogy on the songwriting front.

22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Taboo?

It's Voodoo.....

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It's hard to compare athletics to art--for a million reasons.
    For one, most top tier athletes are finished by 40 or so.

JoeRockhead and CassetteDek like this.
  24. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I don't think it is considered 'taboo' to not like Jimi Hendrix.

I love his stuff but know plenty of other people who openly do not.

Having said that, I'm not convinced they've sat down & listened to Drifting or Bold As Love properly.

25. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I agree, it's like describing tie-die or a kaleidoscope as dull & dreary - they might not do much for you, but that doesn't strike me as an accurate description of their objective physical properties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.