why is japan vinyl so quiet and sound so good ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bru87tr, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Mine has Toshiba/EMI on the OBI. It's a different pressing. :sigh:

2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule Thread Starter

my Olivia says Toshiba/EMI

but its dated 1978 and says Olivias new sophisticated album and says 2500 yen.

3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule Thread Starter

sung: it does sound great, but it did need a few cleanings before it got quiet. it was treated a lon time ago by, I forget the name. after 3 cleanings its very quiet now and sounds very very nice.

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Quiet? likely because of the JVC pressing plant. Good? depends heavily on the title. Some Japanese issues are amazingly terrible.

5. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

To my knowledge, that Olivia record was made only by Toshibia/EMI in Japan. Many other records by other artists, however, were pressed by at least two different Japanese companies at different times. The trick is to know which is the good one and which is bad.

There are many many exceptions, but here is a GENERAL rule of thumb. The following Japanese companies made good-sounding records more often than not: King; Nippon Gramophone; Nippon Columbia; EMI/Odeon; and Nippon Phonogram.

Good luck!

6. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

This one is pressed in Europe as well. Holland pressing, CBS/Sony records.

Can you explain?

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They released a Dutch pressing also a bit later, yes later didn't they!

It's very good btw if you haven't heard it. Shows off the Japan record/mix job very well to say nothing of the package.

8. pick-me-up

I am sorry, but I don’t follow here … Which one is the better?
    Japan or Dutch?

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't know which is better. The Dutch pressing is fantastic. CBS Holland made some of the finest LPs ever made.

My Japanese copy is the Quad mix, so I can't compare that with a Dutch Stereo. Two different animals.

10. pick-me-up

Alright! I ought to make a short listening test tomorrow or some other day near by …

But if I remember right, this album was not really my kind of stuff. Still I am curious to find out so many good sounding records as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.