Why is McCartney's Get Back DVD so expensive? 36 bucks!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I saw Maccas Get Back tour video at Best Buy today and it was 35.99 for one disc. This is nuts. Reminds me of that Blues Brothers DVD that was 30 or 35 until about a month ago when BB had it on sale for 10. Who prices these things?

2. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

It's an IMPORT.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

One of those Brazillian Region 1 discs. No doubt a domestic release would be cheaper.

So why don't they release it in the USA? Well, because the copyright situation is different here in the USA. In Brazil, they don't need the parent company's permission, or the artist's permission, so they just take their VHS masters, and release a DVD out of them. No digital remaster, no real 5.1 mixes, etc.

Still it does give you the opportunity to pick up a few old titles otherwise only available on VHS, like The Concert For Bangla Desh, Lifestyles Of The Ramones, Who's Better, Who's Best and The Return Of Spinal Tap, some of which may never be properly redone for DVD.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

5. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Interesting review , I agree with your comments. I saw him live in 1990, my first and only Beatle sighting :D ,and I came away disappointed with his lack of stage presence , or anything interesting to say.
    After all these years , you'd think he could come up with more than " whoo , hoo" between songs.
    John

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

For a lot of the same reasons, I've been waffling at picking up the new DVD release of Paul Is Live. While it didn't quite suffer from the amount of archival footage as Get Back, we still got all kinds of distracting grainy black and white footage cut in to each song, and most distracting, footage from other performances cut in as well, apparently giving Macca the power to change shirts in the middle of a song.

I never could figure out why we couldn't just have a nicely done straight concert performance release from McCartney, taken from ONE concert, featuring more or less the entire show, as it was performed, pretty much like every other performer does when releasing a DVD. Unfortunately, McCartney has now moved to the attitude that every tour he does deserved a full documentary, with boring behind the scenes footage and fan interviews. This wouldn't be so bad if he didn't cut segments out of the songs to make room for it. He did this with Back In The US, and again with the Red Square concert TV special last week.

Meanwhile, it seems that the Harrison estate is thinking on its feet, as the forthcoming The Concert For George will feature one disc of the documentary version of the show, with interviews and backstage footage, and one disc of just the complete concert. Take a look, and get the message, Macca!

7. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

Wholeheartedly agree! The Tribute to George Concert disc is the way to go. It is a DVD. Give us both versions. You know the fans will get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.