Why is my budget $80 cartridge better than the more expensive ones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seancito, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

I've found Ortofon's to be less divisive amongst audiophiles than say, Grado, but they are not for some people. I'm one of "some" people. Ironically, I've never owned a Shure cartridge in all my years of spinning vinyl. So there you go. LOL

HiFi Guy likes this.
  2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I think the m97xe w/ JICO SAS would mop the floor with the bronze

empirelvr, BuddhaBob and HiFi Guy like this.
  3. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Having used the bronze on a couple of different turntables within a variety of configurations, it took me a while to find an acceptable setup. I'm happy with it now on a rega rp3 with a Stevenson alignment and the arm raised 4mm. If the black is even more finicky, I don't think I want to try it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    HiFi Guy likes this.
  4. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Well, it could be a number of things. Assuming it is aligned correctly...

* The synergy between the Bronze and the preamp isn't a good match (capacitance)
    * The interconnects used between the cartridge and the preamp aren't a good match
    * The stylus and/or cartridge is defective

We all hear things differently, if the OP didin't like the sound of the Bronze, then that's all that matters.

Kristofa, ti-triodes and Seancito like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Tonearm match?

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Lately I've been listening to and enjoying very much Stanton and Pickering cartridges from the old days. These things originally sold for $20-$30. They play back the music where the music counts - in the midrange. They sound amazingly good. Detailed but smooth treble. No harshness. No listening fatigue. :)

7. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have to admit that I have only been using the Shure cartridge since last Wednesday. I experimented this past weekend with VTF and I prefer the brush guard down. I typically use a mint protractor to get things dialed in exact, but it was difficult with this cartridge, so I used the protractor that VPI provides along with a jewelers lupe. I also experimented with azimuth and anti skate. VTA I left close to parallel to the record. Honestly, I had the most enjoyable weekend listening to records. I am certainly not bashing the Ortofon, and I am checking to see if there was a malfunction with the cart. I will keep the cart to maybe use it with a Black stylus one day. With the Bronze, I had some records that sounded great and others not so much. With the Shure, I can pay more attention to the music. I have noticed no inner groove distortion, and the midrange is so sweet.

empirelvr and Vinyl Addict like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.