Why is Pepper described as dated on here but not the White Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lc1995, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The White Album contains:

Back in the USSR: dated by talking about the USSR, and intentionally goes for an early 60s surf rock sound
    Glass Onion: Psychedelic rock
    Wild Honey Pie: Psychedelic folk
    Obla Di Obla Da: Paul's granny music
    Rocky Raccoon: extremely dated folk song
    Piggies: baroque pop
    Long, Long, Long: psychedelic folk
    Honey Pie: more of Paul's granny music
    Birthday: 50s rock

The most modern sounding songs are While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Helter Skelter. I would say Happiness is a Warm Gun, but the "bang bang shoot shoot" part gives it away as beinf obviously Beatlesy.

While I'm not saying Pepper sounds like it came out in 2019, I think that if Pepper is "dated" then so is the White Album. The White Album boosters on this forum greatly exaggerate its "freshness".

2. MIKEPR

MIKEPR Forum Resident

Why even care about that? Everyone's entitled to their opinion and it's all dated but that doesn't mean anything.

3. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

wasn't this posted already in the beatles thread?

4. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think there's a lot more influence on modern alternative music from White Album than Sgt. Pepper IMO

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why ? It don't rock!!!!

NunoBento, Rfreeman and Joti Cover like this.
  6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Isn't all old (let's say pre 2000) music dated?

7. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

8. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

The White Album’s a much rawer recording, so there’s less to date.

Also, Pepper’s more of an era defining record so it runs the risk of sounding date the further removed it is from said era.

9. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Are Debussy and Ravel dated? Makes no difference to my enjoyment.

10. lc1995

Most threads on this forum are just for fun. That's my perception at least, given all the Beatles fantasy threads.

So I don't "care" but I am curious.

11. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

First time I've ever heard ska-influenced music described as "granny rock" but hey, you do you

12. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

"Dated", as compared to what....the majority of crap that makes up most radio playlists these days?
    Why not just appreciate it ~ and most other releases ~ as something that was special upon it's release, and that, in many ways, HAS stood the test of time!
    After all, true art is timeless!

13. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

^ Your last sentence.

14. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Macca stans live in a weird world

15. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I don't know, but it seems that most of my favorite albums (by the Beatles and others) are labelled as "dated", so to me that term is like a certificate of quality.

Suncola, mikee, Man at C&A and 3 others like this.
  16. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

Part of Pepper being "dated," I think, is guilt by association. The album is linked to the flood of psychedelia that followed in its wake, including lots of otherwise mainstream pop that used psychedelic effects - flangeing, panning, sound effects, sitar, classical-style orchestration, etc. Those elements were so prevalent in 1967-68 that psychedelia essentially became a fad. All those elements scream "1967."

Some psychedelic production elements are present on the White Album, but many of the songs are pretty straight-forward rock'n'roll of the time - guitars, bass and drums. They sound dated in that they were recorded in 1968 and sound like it, but they don't have as many of the faddish trappings as the songs found on Pepper.

What the "White Album" does have is a lot of deliberate references to older styles of music, such as the Old West parody/homage of "Rocky Racoon," the Beach Boys parody of "Back in the U.S.S.R.," the 50s rock elements in "Birthday" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun." But, because the Beatles were purposely using these older styles in an ironic way, I don't think you could call them dated in the same way the earnest use of psychedelic effects "dates" Pepper.

All that said, I love Pepper and listen to it a lot. I love the production and how experimental it was.

17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I don’t care what any of you think anyway.

bloodlemons, KipB, Django216 and 19 others like this.
  18. lc1995

Who are you referring to?

19. lc1995

John Lennon described it as such. I personally love the song, but it does not sound "fresh".

humpf likes this.
  20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

All of the Beatles' music sounds dated. The only reason why people give the White Album a pass is that modern artists are much more likely to sound like the WA than Pepper if they sound like the Beatles at all.

Another reason that WA gets a pass is that people somehow think that Pepper is the album that they are told to like, as if the only reason that it's held to be a classic is mindless following of tradition.

21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

:biglaugh:
    BEST POST EVER!

22. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

My bad—I assumed you were based on the thread title :sigh:

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My Music doesn’t date.

My Music loves me, and I love my Music.

24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Because some people will find one thing to be dated and not another. Simple as that.

HfxBob and danasgoodstuff like this.
  25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The White Album is more stripped down while "Sgt Pepper" may be overblown to some (not my opinion). That's all, I think.
    I don't think "Sgt Pepper" was held in such high regard in the 90s alternative crowd for instance, but the White Album was. It was seen as "real".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.