Why is Rega hardwiring phone cables on all their TTs? Good or bad? *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gregleo, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregleo

gregleo Active Member Thread Starter

I noticed that all Rega turntables have their phono cables hardwired which means you can't change or upgrade them afterwards. I was curious if anyone knows why they made that choice? Especially on their high end products. I haven't seen any other brand hardwiring phono cables on high-end turntable.

Love to have feedback from owners and how this positively or negatively impacts quality, sound, build...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It’s very good :cheers:

Ghostworld, vinnn, chili555 and 2 others like this.
  3. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

It removes 20 connections - a good thing.

4. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

5. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

One very good reason is that when hardwiring the manufacturer knows exactly how the whole TT perform including WITH the cables..
    Because if somebody that do not really know what kind of properties they should prioritize when choosing a interconnect.

For example if the user hook up a high capacitance cable and the cartridge and the TT sounds harsh/bad. Then the TT manufacturer will get bad reputation when it is the user that have done wrong without knowing it..

If you are a high end TT why should you add a extra set (5) of soilder points and RCA females and RCA male. To the signal path? That add eddiecurrent, resistance, capacitance and so on. That is not high end.. :love:

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

What brand is Raga ?

crispi likes this.
  7. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Because Roy Gandy designed it so?

Ghostworld likes this.
  8. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Newest manufacturer from India.

9. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Best connector is none. Its actually the highest performing solution.

Ghostworld and Optimize like this.
  10. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

bever70 likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Bingo. It is cheaper, easier, and more convenient. It can also be more convenient for the customer if you need to rewire the whole tonearm or swap out a tonearm completely for a change or upgrade. There is a company run by an ex-Rega employee that makes a hot-rodded/modded table(s) based on a Rega parts kit. They don't hardwire the cables, but their TTs also cost more.

So long as Rega using low-capacitance cabling it's not a big deal. I don't like their grounding approach though as it can cause some problems with associated equipment.

12. pez

pez Forum Resident

Ragga?

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

There are some third party guys who will rewire Rega tonearms or some people do it themselves and just buy the cables.

14. gregleo

My bad, not even sure why I spelled this wrong... twice.

crispi and Shawn like this.
  15. gregleo

Makes sense but does feel awkward to make that choice in a world where audiophiles like to control & tailor every part of their set-up.

16. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I didn't realize until just recently that Rega did this. None of the vendors that I frequent mentioned it, and none of them show photos of it. Which makes me wonder, if this is a "feature"benefit, or why not tout it?

I'd rather not have it personally. I see the new Technics SL1200Mk7 have done away with doing this, biggest issue being reliability, which isn't a surprise really.

17. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Why would reliability be an issue ?

18. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Actually, quite a few old and new tonearms are wired (or rewired) with one-piece cables, if you want ultimate sound quality then you don't want the extra connectors and solder joints between the cartridge and preamp. It's just part of the tonearm design, take it or leave it, though I don't know if Rega uses a one-piece cable or not, my Clearaudio does, we were just talking about it earlier this week in another thread ... My next upgrades on the vinyl front...

19. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

It apparently was for former (or current) Technics owners when the jacks started getting worn in their location, and it just becomes a bigger issue from there. Can't comment on Rega. Again, I'm guessing as a DJ when you move your equipment around a lot, these jacks become a liability not a plus. Again, if you're more of an audiophile and don't move your equipment around a lot, probably not an issue.

20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

they set their tonearm up specifically for rega cartrdges, they sell you their cables hardwired to the tonearm. I'm surprised they don't glue a record permanently to the platter before they ship it.

21. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I doubt many 1200g or 1200gr owners are going to wear out the jacks. Djing is a different world.

Ghostworld and classicrocker like this.
  22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Don’t give Roy any ideas now

VinylSoul, patient_ot and Harrocks like this.
  23. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

True. But if you buy a used one, apparently it's one of the common (if maybe only) failures on these turntables.

24. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’m fine w the hard wired cables on my P1, except that they’re not long enough. I have to use couplers to attach another cable. Sounds just fine but I’d rather not have to patch together cables.

25. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

1200G and GRs wearing out Jack's?

Considering they have only been selling them for a few years and are set and forget for the most part I find this hard to believe.

Where did you hear this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.