Why is there no Rolling Stones BBC Sessions CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Disraeli Gears, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Don't have my notes handy but Aint' That Loving You Baby is not from Saturday Club and the Stones weren't featured on the March 8th 1964 show. March 8th was a Sunday. They weren't on the March 7th edition either.
    Not Fade Away is given the wrong date on the BBC database. Fannie Mae and another BBC version of It's All Over Now are in circulation.

I have my doubts about those press reports. I think those 19 songs listed (from the BBC database) may be all they really have give or take a couple of others. Notice it says that Cops and Robbers was played as part of the presentation - well that was already in the archive and not a find. The reports differ in the number of songs.
    I Wanna Love You from Rhythm and Blues is apparently a Gene Pitney composition - good luck finding any trace of that song - Gene does not appear to have written anything with that title. The chances of it being "found" would therefore appear to be small ! It seems that it was an entry error on the BBC PasB sheet.

The "European radio gig" was actually a broadcast (just like the BBC Sessions) in a short series of radio shows for Radio Luxembourg recorded at their London studio. . Many acts including Cliff and The Shads, Billy Fury, The Eagles (UK instro act), Marty Wilde, The Outlaws, The Searchers had their own radio series which they recorded specially for Radio Luxembourg. These are currently "under investigation". but due to destruction of masters and documentation that's a bit tricky.
    Bill does own an acetate of the Stones session and it should be released immediately. So should the BBC Sessions.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Shawn and John Fell like this.
  2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

on the contrary, they're the best sounding element of the entire GRRR! set IMO.

3. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Nothing. BBC6 Music still plays archive BBC sessions going back to the '60s.

4. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Mick's Pizza Delivery Man has them. After that non-tipping, he's holding out.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Very likely a problem of tape transfer, bands rarely change keys, especially when harps are involved. Oh Baby and Spider are too slow on most boots and in an "in between key" for which you won't find a harp...

6. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

A youtube search might in order. Can I say that?

7. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

the Rolling Stones Live at The BBC..and beyond . This is now out there on Amazon.co.uk. Looks like it contains everything that can be released legally in Europe.
    Immaculate sound .

DrBeatle, Aftermath and Mark Wilson like this.
  8. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Only 13 tracks? I'll pass.

9. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

I feel your pain! The quality is amazing but I think there are only 13 tracks available.

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The bootleg version I have is a 2 cd set.

Sean, sewerdog and DrBeatle like this.
  11. Better than what's been circulating on boots/torrents?

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

But are they all 1964 and before performances? That's all that's public domain in Europe so far. Anything 1965 & on isn't legal yet.

Mark

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

True, but there are also pre-1965 performances that are not included which appear on my version.

There are multiple releases of it on Amazon and some have more tracks.

This one is a combination of unissued Chess session tracks and BBC sessions along with other television appearances.

1. Stewed and Keefed (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    2. Goodbye Girl (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    3. High Heel Sneakers (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    4. Tell Me Baby (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    5. Meet Me In The Bottom (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    6. Mercy Mercy (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    7. Reelin'and Rockin' (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    8. Key to the Highway (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    9. Around and Around (The Ed Sullivan Show 25th October 1964)
    10. Time Is On My (The Ed Sullivan Show 25th October 1964)
    11. High Heel Sneekers (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    12. Little By Little (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    13. I Just Wanna' Make Love To You (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    14. I'm Moving On (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    15. Carol (The Mike Douglas Show 18th June 1964)
    16. Not Fade Away (The Mike Douglas Show 18th June 1964)
    17. It's All Over Now (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    18. If You Need Me (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    19. Confessin' The Blues (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    20. Carol (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    21. Mona (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)

Sean likes this.
  14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Thanks John. Just wasn't sure. I've been eyeing some of these sets on Amazon UK but have waiting to hear more about their sound quality.

Mark

John Fell likes this.
  15. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident

Would love to see an official release of The Rolling Stones' BBC Sessions, as well as a CD full of previously unreleased songs by them from the 60's. Same with Pink Floyd.

Lost In The Flood and John Fell like this.
  16. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

These aren't bootlegs because MCPS is paid on song publishing and they obviously only use legit tracks. So in the end I guess the bootleggers win on quantity as they can just release anything. However, the Coda releases are definitely the best quality I've ever heard, they have obviously been re-mastered by someone who knows their way around a professional studio.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not sure what you mean by legit tracks.

This is the track listing for one of the manufactured on demand cdrs the Amazon is offering and there are unreleased outtakes on it.

1. Stewed and Keefed (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    2. Goodbye Girl (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    3. High Heel Sneakers (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    4. Tell Me Baby (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    5. Meet Me In The Bottom (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    6. Mercy Mercy (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    7. Reelin'and Rockin' (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    8. Key to the Highway (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    9. Around and Around (The Ed Sullivan Show 25th October 1964)
    10. Time Is On My (The Ed Sullivan Show 25th October 1964)
    11. High Heel Sneekers (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    12. Little By Little (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    13. I Just Wanna' Make Love To You (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    14. I'm Moving On (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    15. Carol (The Mike Douglas Show 18th June 1964)
    16. Not Fade Away (The Mike Douglas Show 18th June 1964)
    17. It's All Over Now (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    18. If You Need Me (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    19. Confessin' The Blues (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    20. Carol (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    21. Mona (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)

18. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

As 50 years have now elapsed, some things (live broadcasts and unreleased sound recordings) are now in the public domain in most parts of Europe so can be legitimately released and shipped provided the song publishing license is paid to MCPS.

Lost In The Flood and RubenH like this.
  19. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

So here's something that caught my eye today...

To celebrate Apple's 40th birthday, there's an iTunes (US) playlist featuring songs from their commercials over the years. There's a section in the upper right-hand corner of the page showing "featured artists" along with a photo. For the Rolling Stones, the photo is the cover of an album titled "BBC Sessions 1965" (the cover is basically text with superimposed over what looks like a studio tape reel box). Not sure if this is slated for an official release, but considering Apple is VERY concerned with pirated or illegally obtained music, this strikes me as very odd. Perhaps the folks at iTunes have inadvertantly leaked artwork for an upcoming vault release?

Edit: I couldn't upload a screenshot, so I updated my avatar showing the album cover.

20. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

lt really depends. If the bbc was willing to pay publishing I doubt they could be stopped from selling it. However they couldn't use the beatles logo and pictures for the album could be a pain to get.

However if there was some kind of contract signed with the BBC before the taping, the contract could stop them from selling it.

21. Sick Sick Phil

Not true the BBC own the recording on the tape too. If they only owned the tape, for example, the groups could put out the recordings with out permission from the BBC if they had a copy which is not true.

22. So the Beeb has special publishing rights for any recordings that are made for them to broadcast, regardless of who owns the publishing on the music? So could they, in theory, release whatever they wanted from these sessions without consulting the artists?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Sick Sick Phil

unless a contract was signed before hand the BBC owns the recording they made and IF they are willing to pay song publishing they could release it.

24. I get the feeling most fans will have to wait until after Mick and Keith are buried in the ground to get all of the archival stuff from the 60s.

Sean likes this.
  25. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Do you have a source for this? The BBC has made thousands of recordings over the past 50+ years, but they have never released anything without an artist's permission. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.