Why is U2 Vinyl always out of press?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

For those that bought the new All That You Can’t Leave Behind, I would like to know your thoughts. I am playing my original CD, and I think it sounds pretty good. Not really sure why it would need remastered, other than to get it out on vinyl again. Since it was no doubt a digital recording to begin with, I am struggling.

So, what do you think? Is it worth getting the new one? Significant improvement? I like U2 and vinyl, but I am not a format warrior.

2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

If the CD sounds alright, no need to purchase the vinyl.
    I don't have a CD to compare to my vinyl record, but I would say from my Deezer account listening that it should not be that different.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  3. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

There is no analog master and there never will be.

Achtung Baby was recorded using a mix of analog and digital (DAT) with the master likely ending up at 44.1/16 or 48/16 (at best).

Somewhere along the way it was upsampled to 24 bits for an HD tracks release.

I'm not sure a vinyl version of the digital master is going to sound better than the original digital files (CD or download). I'm not going to spend 120 bucks or so for the vinyl version to find out. :D

Paully likes this.
  4. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Good to hear. My 2nd copy arrived in proper condition as well, glad it only took one return to get!

5. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

So is there a difference between US and European pressings as there seemingly was with HTDAAB? I got lucky and they had the European version of that in a local shop and it was fantastic.

I’m dying to pick these up especially Pop. The dishing on ATYCLB is worrying.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  6. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

My copy of ATYCLB is flat thank God.

seaisletim likes this.
  7. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Both my Pop and Leave Behind were flat as a pancake, but they were purchased at my LRS, not Amazon (perhaps Amazon got a bad/partially bad shipment?)

8. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I’m surprised these are so cheap on amazon. I’m tempted to go ahead and buy them there.

9. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

My copy of 'Pop' from Amazon (US) is flat, centered and only has an infrequent click here and there. It's the best pressing I've bought in a while. No problems with 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' either.

I generally support indie retailers but $10.00 cheaper is a big discount.

For the first time in a long time the beginning of MOFO gave me goosebumps. It all sounds way better than the CD from '97.

captainsolo and Szeppelin75 like this.
  10. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

So they POP vinyl is a must get?

11. Szeppelin75

The ATYCLB is a must
    My pressing is flawless.

seaisletim likes this.
  12. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Was it an improvement to the original CD?

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  13. Szeppelin75

to me it is. More bass. Better instrument separation. Vocals sound deeper. I dont know how you can put it into words but to my ears it smokes the CD.

walrus and PDK like this.
  14. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Last night I listened to 3 versions of ATYCLB: Original CD, Original European Vinyl & 2018 Vinyl.

The original vinyl is still the best to my ears. The new vinyl release sounds really good and so similar to the original vinyl pressing but the bass is a little on the heavy side for me. Still sounds good though and better than the original CD which isn't bad but, but far from good.

For the price of the new reissue, you cannot beat it. Beautifully done. Only complaint I have is I did a wet clean and put it back in the poly inner the record shipped in, pulled it out to play and it was covered with dust on it. How does that even happen? Need to re-clean and sleeve it in a Mofi sleeve.

Excited to do Pop A-B-C comparisons this weekend.

canonlon, Dbstay, Paully and 3 others like this.
  15. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Excited to hear your thoughts.

bmh5879 likes this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Listening to War reissue right now and this sounds f'n fantastic!!! I think it might beat my NM original. What are the other needed ones in the reissue campaign? I'm in for Joshua Tree and maybe more if they all sound this incredible.

17. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

Joshua Tree came out last year, with a big massive set and a new reissue of the regular album.

18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, I am aware of that, any other opinions of the other reissues (vevsus originals)... October, Boy, Unforgettable Fire? The Joshua Tree 2lp reissue gets quite positive reviews for sound quality.

19. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

How to Dismantle is really good

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

There are some threads that discuss them. This is one of a few:
    U2 Boy and October vinyl

21. BTWSCOTCH

BTWSCOTCH Member

It has to do with cost and popularity. If a album was not so popular back when it was first release they won't spend the money to reissue it today knowing it probably won't sale. But me myself I have almost all of there albums on vinyl. I'm just waiting for them to release Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and No Line On The Horizon on to vinyl. I have the rest of there albums on vinyl and they sound great

22. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Screw it. I just ordered all three of the new ones. I saw a guy on youtube. He had a POP track and an ATYCLB track. The POP track was ridiculous but they both sounded amazing. Pulled the trigger.

23. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I squeezed a listen of the new Pop reissue in this weekend but didn't have time to do an A-B-C but all I have to say is my first impression was Pop sounded better than the ATYCLB reissue and better than I couldn't imagine the original CD or vinyl sounded any better. Again, for the price - if you're a vinyl junkie and love the albums, well worth it. Once I eventually get around to the A-B-C of Pop, I'll report back.

24. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Is it me or is this more detailed than We've ever heard before? The bass when it kicks in sounds really killer and the cymbals/tamb as well.

Dbstay and pearle like this.
  25. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on ATYCLB. One always has to wonder what they may be missing with a reissue and I'm glad to hear your thoughts and feel like I am able to skip buying another copy of this great record.

I am lucky enough to have purchased every U2 record since The Joshua Tree upon release, so while I do not need these reissues, I am interested in your comparisons to help me from missing something I should have or skipping something that isn't a sonic improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.