Why McCartney 2 is such a great musical adventure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Now when Temporary Secretary finally is played live is a good moment to revisit McCartney 2 and trying to explain why it could be regarded as one of Pauls most interesting albums.
    In all honesty I did not like the album when it first arrived-thought it lacked good songs, sounded thin and was to much of a self-indulgence. That opinion stuck with me for some 20 years but after all that time I finally started to enjoy it and nowadays I regard it as one of Pauls best and most interesting albums. It exists in a word of it s own -just like some of Pauls other highlights and gives a rather unique insight in what goes on in the musical head of Paul when he s just goofing around without paying any regards to the the opinions of the audience.

One can claim it s an album well ahead of it s time but I would rather say it s out of any time-just like Ram and some of Pauls other truly great albums. It certainly divides the fans but especially when the deluxe-edition came out ithas gained a considerable reputation as a remarkable work.
    Here is my song by song thought about this wonderfully strange work
    1. Coming up
    The one track I have always liked-imo one of Pauls best songs ever. I prefer the studio-version that is so strange and at the same time extremely catchy. The video for this song I also find most entertaining. I can understand Lennon was in awe of this one and don t understand why he does t play it live more often
    2. Temporary Secretary
    Many find this eccentric song annoying. Not me who regard it as a very funny and experimental song that obviously was a big influence to the synth-popmovement. That fact aside-there is a great melody hidden besides the electronica and also a influence from the-at the time very popular-late, great Ian Dury.
    3. On the Way
    Another marvel-this time a very simple blues offering but with an almost dub-like production and that echo gives it an otherworldly quality. BB Kings version from the art of McCartney gives this song a late revival.
    4. Waterfalls
    Another-somewhat strange song-but without a doubt a first class melody. The spare arrangement once again makes it a one of a kind track-imo one of Pauls finest post-Beatles-ballads.
    5. Nobody knows
    Paul returns to the skiffle-sound of his youth in this simple and most entertaining number
    6. Front Parlour
    The synths on this instrumental might sound either dated or vintage depending on how you listen. But hidden behind the bleeps and bloops is another fine melody that I always imagined would work well as a soundtrack to some sci-fi-movie
    7. Summer day song
    A melodic masterclass with very simple words. In a better word this remarkable song would be a classic of sorts. Another favorite of mine
    8 Frozen jap
    Not one of the better tracks on the album imo and defintively one of Pauls most ill-fated song-titles
    9. Bogey music
    Pauls is back in the world of childrens music here with a not so memorable result. Even though it s fun listening
    10.Darkroom
    A little creepy but very effective number that goes beyond definition. The long version on the deluxe-edition is even better.
    11. One of these days
    The most "normal" Macca-song on the album. Acoustic driven, melodic gem that would have fitted nice on the White album
    Besides all the above there are all the wonderful outtakes and b-sides coming from the session, masterfully uncovered on the deluxe-edition. The great moody Blue Sway, the ambient masterpiece Secret friend and the groove-fiest of Check my machine are among those that deserves honorable mention.
    All in all McCartney 2 is one unique album that also are among the very few that-imo-get s better and better.
    It shows an artist in transition doing exactly what he feels like doing-warts and goofiness included. In that regard I also find it a very brave album.
    One for the ages-and beyond

Jayseph, Rocco, coffeetime and 31 others like this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Well said; apart from the fact that I like Frozen Jap, I fully agree with you. It is definitely one of his greatest albums, and once of my favourite albums of all time.

I can't think of many 60's acts recording albums like McCartney 2 in the summer of '79.

I hope that one day we get a proper McCartney 3.

3. Bemagnus

Actually I can t think of any sixties act recording an album like McCartney 2 any time. It s one of a kind really.

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It blew me away the first time I heard it. I had no idea Paul could make such a weird, stoned, fun LP.
    Oh, wait, he made Ram - so I guess I did know. But still, Macca II is a good one.

5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I can't argue with your first post, Bemagnus...could it be that McCartney II is another one of his more 'hated' records currently undergoing a critical reappraisal? I know I've loved it from the first listen...

At this late date I'd reckon Electric Arguments is the closest we'll get to that.

joeortonjr, theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  6. Bemagnus

Guess so to-unless one don t wanna put the great Chaos and creation in that category

RickH likes this.
  7. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of this album, but I do like 'Darkroom' a lot, almost sounds like dub reggae with that fat bass line.

She is anyway and mfp like this.
  8. drasil

drasil Former Resident

yes. it has been for several years now. I think every mix I was given in 2010 had 'temporary secretary' on it.

She is anyway, theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  9. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I felt this way too when I bought the album back in 1980. And unfortunately I haven't come around. I think it's a dud in Macca's discography. Not al total dud, it's saved somewhat by the inclusion of Coming up, Waterfalls and One of these days. I agree that it's a daring departure from what we've come to know from Paul up to that point, but I still regard it as a failure - a steep downfall in quality from the Wings era and the first of a few 80's albums in a row that I consider partial missteps. I bought the 1993 MacCartney collection CD mostly because of the inclusion of Goodnight tonight, which in reality doesn't belong there because it dates back from 1979. But I haven't bothered to get the expanded reissue - expanded versions of mostly mediocre tracks? No, thank you.

Having said that, I definitely notice that there's some reappraisal going on since the recent reissue. Still I feel that it's just not for me.

hazard, kwadguy, Frank and 1 other person like this.
  10. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I can't understand why people think McCartney II is some wondrous work befitting a genius. It's just some primitive dicking around with a synthesizer and half-baked song ideas that go nowhere.

Huck Caton, Music Geek, Frank and 5 others like this.
  11. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

The second greatest album that Paul McCartney has ever done (after RAM).

Chew, no.nine, She is anyway and 2 others like this.
  12. Bemagnus

As I mentioned in the OP this album divides listeners. Everyone are entitled to their opnions. I can surely understand your opinions -rather similar to what I felt about this album the first two decades of it s existense.
    But once I got into this album it has been a favorite of mine. Guess it will remain so-whether you understand it or not.

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It was a step up from Back to the Egg but no Tug of War or Pipes of Peace IMO

14. 905

905 Senior Member

One of my favorite albums. I mentioned this before, but I go through spells when I mainly listen to McCartney II.

15. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

This is a straight up masterpiece! I equate this with The Clash - Sandanista! and Brian Eno and David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts...

She is anyway and botley like this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That originally weren't even meant for public consumption...until Paul played the tapes for some friends (possibly while high ;)) who liked it and suggested that he put 'em out. And, after all, it's not as though Paul McCartney was the first musician to f--k around with a synth or put out a bunch of half baked song ideas that go nowhere...hell, his former band (and no, I'm not talking about Wings) were even guilty of that on more than one occasion!

Amazing that people had to convince Paul to put out McCartney II, yet iffy Maccaalbums like Wild Life or Pipes Of Peace were conceived and produced for all the world to hear...the mind boggles!

paulmccartneyistheman and botley like this.
  17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I love McCartney II. For me, it was released when I was 18 and just about to graduate from high school. So listening to it always conjures up pleasant May and June memories. But admittedly, on the first couple of listens I was not that impressed... it took me a few to really embrace it as something different and pleasantly unique from Paul.

These days I'm happy that M2 has received so many positives. Its reputation has turned around dramatically from the raised eyebrows it received by many in 1980. In fact, I'd presently go so far as to say that while it's a nice departure, it's now bordering on being OVERRATED at times!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

So do I -- especially the extended version.

Neil Young? Was that the TRANS album...?

I'm thinking the Fireman albums sort of fill in that gap.

19. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I dearly loved McCartney 2 from my first listen when it initially came out. Temporary Secretary is one of my favorite Macca tunes. Despite the hit single, I wish the album itself went over better with fans and critics at the time. I would have liked to have seen him done more like this.

petem1966, She is anyway and theMess like this.
  20. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Agreed! A fascinating album and I deeply appreciate the way it represents a forward-looking McCartney experimenting with possible sounds and compositional processes. Favorite track: Secret friend, which always blows me away. But I like many of the others too.

One thing that strikes me is (as it happens!) also what struck Lennon, when he was asked for a comment on McCartney II: Paul doesn't sound very happy here, does he? In fact he doesn't sound very happy on Tug of War either, but everyone attributes that mood to John's death. Still, when I listen to McCartney II, I often think that it's the sound of an unhappy man. And I wonder what to make of that. Was there a low point in the marriage? a mid-life crisis? A crisis in how to imagine an alternate way of being Paul McCartney when Wings was becoming a drag? Feeling old? When did his dad die? That was a few years before, no? And then there is also the sometimes surprising sense that Paul, after all, has a life apart from his public life. So we can speculate. But we may never know and Paul is well within his rights to keep any such things to himself, supposing he even has a clear sense for them himself (and supposing I am even right that he was in a personal crisis in these years).

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Bowie - Low
    Neil Young - Trans

I like McCartney II. All 60's artists need to get locked in a woodshed with a bunch of synths for at least one album in their career. I initially picked the album up on cassette tape from the Woolworth $2.99 bin back when I was a yoot. "Summer Day Song" still a favorite. "Waterfalls" quite nice. I enjoy the sense of joyful experimentation the album exudes. Lyrics are occasionally bat**** but easily forgivable.

Fullbug, vince, drasil and 2 others like this.
  22. Bemagnus

Agree that Paul did not seem all that happy during this period. He ha mentioned in interwiews that he uses music as kind of a therapy. Perhaps making this music -mostly all by himself served such a function. Songs like Waterfalls-to my ears-have a clear stroke of sadness. Anyway it s a great and very different album.

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Those of us who have been here a while know;
    for every one "McII" LOVER, there's at least TWO "McII" HATERS!
    I, for one, am a LOVER!!
    I can easily trace my love of 'synth/strange' from this album!
    Laurie Anderson, "Bush Of Ghosts", Art Of Noise, The Residents, & Negativland....
    I love 'em all.... and all from my youthful (12 yrs. old when "II" came out) infatuation with "McII"!

24. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Love it ... one of my favourite records and the first Deluxe Edition I ever bought.

Secret Friend and especially Check My Machine deserve far more than honorable mentions ... both masterpieces and some of the best b-sides ever.
    You wanna hear a stoned McCartney going funky ... CHECK MY MACHINE!!!

petem1966, Fullbug and Bemagnus like this.
  25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Oh! Let me add "Zoolook" to that list!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.