Why McCartney 2 is such a great musical adventure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You are still trying to be evasive... ;)

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm all for it as long as he keeps robots out of it.

Except Robbo. That little guy keeps a sweet rhythm on the live "Goodnight Tonight" in 1979. If the rhythm he plays doesn't make you want to get up and dance, I don't know what will.

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  3. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Once a salamander...:)

Bemagnus and theMess like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"Evasive" is from "evade," which is similar to "avoid." So, in this context, "evasive" means "trying to avoid." Like, if someone asks you a question you don't want to answer and, in reply, you dance around the question, intentionally not answering it, you're being evasive.

She is anyway, Bemagnus and theMess like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Temporary Secretary
    I must admit I really disliked this song when I first heard it. And now I love it-in fact it s one of my favorite Macca tracks. Guess when I first heard it I was not much into electronica and really did not like Devo-one obvious influence. However I was a big fan of Ian Dury -another obvious influence. But the things i could not take was the annoying sequencer and that voice goin on Temporaaary Secretaaary. But some years later-long before I started to enjoy the whole album Temporary Secretary became a favorite. I guess there are many reasons why I like this song but also why it s one song that obviously have taken a life of it s own in unexpected areas of the entertainment scene. Here I try and give some of the reasons I and those others who like this song does so.
    1. It tells a rather funny story
    2. Behind all the electronica there is a classic, even beatlesque melody hidden-that once one get it get stuck like glue.
    3. It s very catchy
    4. The sequencer part might be seen as annoying but in the context of the song it makes perfect sense.Think secretaries at the time-long before computers-hammering on their type-writer
    5. It got some rhythm -probably the reason it got some cult status in some hipster clubs(that is the real truth no matter what some others claim)

All in all this little song is a perfect pop-artefact that I sincerely hope I will hear live 9/7 when I will attend a Macca-show
    But Im perfectly aware that this in many ways is a song one either love or hate.

6. Bemagnus

;)
    Don t think twice it s all right;)

theMess, She is anyway and Zeki like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Don t think twice it s all right;)

Arnold Grove likes this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

While the lyrics to "Bogey Music" are silly, the music and melody are good. I love the bass on it. It sounds like a standup bass to me. The guitar riff is something I enjoy. It may be the most hated song on the album, but I like it and I never skip it.

9. Bemagnus

In all honesty it s a song I sometimes skip. Even though I like the guitarpart and the general stoned craziness of the whole thing

10. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just burned the two-LP version using the tracks from the boxed set....

It would've killed Paul commercially, but it definitely is a strange little album that's oddly enjoyable.

theMess, She is anyway and Bemagnus like this.
  11. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

My guess is "Probably not".

12. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I think "Summer's Day Song" would work well live, done as a piano ballad, with a guitar solo similar to Once Upon a Long Ago. It really is a lovely song.

13. Bemagnus

It definitiely is a beatiful melody.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  14. He probably was listening to this as he made the album.... "It's just some primitive dicking around with a synthesizer and half-baked song ideas."

[​IMG]

15. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

For me, McII is far from being one of McCartney's best albums.

When I first heard it, back in 1984, I though it was crap.

Some years ago I got it as a present and on playing it again I definitely reconsidered my previous opinion. It's not great but it is a lot of fun.

The 1-2 punch of Coming Up and Temp Secretary is fabulous. There is a lot of filler after that though.

Zeki likes this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Can we all discuss the lyrical majesty that is "You Know I'll Get You Baby"?

Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  17. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Its majesty's a pretty nice thing (even if it doesn't have a lot to say). :)

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  18. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

:biglaugh::cheers:

supermd likes this.
  19. bward

bward Senior Member

You got that right.

I like the BB King version, but I'd still like to hear Paul do it with a full band. I bet his aged voice would be perfect for it, too.

Chris from Chicago and supermd like this.
  20. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

daveidmarx and Johnny Reb like this.
  21. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

There was a 6:20 minute Radio Slave mix of Temporary Secretary included on one of those "Bonus CDs" that Uncut magazine sometimes releases (here in July 2004):

The CD itself was curated by Paul and carries a couple different titles: Something for the Weekend and Paul McCartney's Glastonbury Groove. More details on that CD here, courtesy of Wikipedia.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I do think though that McCartney may have been slightly more influenced by Sparks on that album than Krautrock. By the time McCartney II was recorded I also think he may have heard the Residents
    Wow, very interesting. I don't read reviews often so I had no idea. I do know that McCartney 1 which was mostly panned when released is also considered a masterpiece and I guess Ram also fits that description since it was also the bane of the critics back when. To give credit to McCartney he probably always thought he'd be redeemed. Next up: Pipes of Peace is the Pet Sounds of the 80s? Can't even imagine how Press to Play will do with these new critics!

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  23. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I enjoy this album. I think it's fun filled and amazing in every sense of the word.

She is anyway likes this.
  24. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I've said in other threads that I think Temporary Secretary would have fit nicely on Revolver. But then again I think the whole album sounds very much like McCartney doing a history of the Beatles. For example. "Nobody Knows" reminds me a lot of a McCartney/Lennon duet from Let It Be.

In the end I think McCartney was mostly influenced by Sparks and 10cc on this album - but the songs are far closer to his Beatle roots than a lot of what he did before and after.

Bemagnus likes this.
  25. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I agree - Two Virgins is a masterpiece!! :rolleyes:... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.