Why Nick Cave is the greatest ‘serious’ rock musician of our time. Period. The End.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Echo, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Nick Cave is great. I could agree on the claim. But it seems like he was only compared with very mainstream artists (Stones, Beatles, Bowie, Dylan...). Consider this quote:

We could say that about a few contemporary artists. According to my tastes I would say the same of Glenn Danzig, John Lydon, Pete Shelley and Steve Diggle for example.

2. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Nocturama 2003 & 2012 editions: Identical EAC peak levels
    Abattoir/Lyre 2004 & 2012 editions: Identical EAC peak levels
    D!!! Lazarus D!!! 2008 & 2012 editions : Identical EAC peak levels

punkmusick, Diamond Dog and wolfram like this.
  3. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

To quote the man himself when accepting an award ‘I am in competition with no one’.

He’s only getting better and better with age, which is incredible.

On another note does anyone know if the Distant Sky concert film is getting a blu Ray release?

I missed it at the cinema but was blown away by the live show when I saw it in Melbourne.

Gavinyl and SJP like this.
  4. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I reject the premise the declaration is based on - identify (subjectively) an artist's "best" album, then by default, everything after that is weak. If this is the way you consume art, I feel pity.

5. I have an alternative title for the thread - Nick Cave is the most over-rated serious rock musician of our time. Period. The End.
    Call it the 'B' side.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Yep, just having a browse through the thread - he's just 'ok' in my book. The thing is with Cave, although he's a very good lyricist, perhaps in the league just below the really great lyric writers (Dylan, Tom Waits etc.) as a melody writer he's seriously average. Can't think of one great tune he's written actually. So that makes him about a second league songwriter in my book. Not bad, but no cigar.
    This doesn't mean I don't like his work, I've heard maybe half of the things he's done, some of 'em are great, some of 'em are just plain wallpaper.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I'm a big Nick Cave fan ( and even a bigger Rowland S. Howard fan...)

but Nick Cave - Henry's Dream is on my desert island list. Not a bum song in the lot.

Also the Ship Song, from the album The Good Son, is just a dark, moody classic.

Front 242 Addict, wolfram and Gavinyl like this.
  8. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Nick Cave doesn't hold a candle to David Bowie.
    Next, please.

9. Is his portrait still in Australia's National Gallery, or was that just for comedy?

10. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Never heard of him

ranasakawa likes this.
  11. Echo

Echo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which is telling...?

(Always funny some people here seems to be proud of their ignorance)

Man at C&A, SJP and Gavinyl like this.
  12. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I own over 4000 CDs and I don't have anything with Nick Cave on it.
    Met him once, he didn't say much.

13. Yeah, come to think of it I can name better Australian songwriters!

14. Echo

There are not many Australian songwriters being covered by Johnny Cash himself.... Mr Cave is, I think, the only one...

keyse1, Front 242 Addict and Gavinyl like this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

[​IMG]

D.D.

16. Echo

By your avatar I think you would have heard of a certain Dylan. Maybe a fresh start for your search can be a Dylan cover by Cave (yes, Bob Dylan is one of his heroes, so you have something in common with him):

(it's from 1985, so an oldie. Cave changed his sound a lot)

17. Diamond Dog

Fourteen- odd pages back I stated in a post that I was not in awe of what Nick Cave has done. Through the course of this thread, I have endeavoured to listen to his entire catalogue, then collect it.

I retract my original statement.

D.D.

scobb, Wild Frank, keyse1 and 7 others like this.
  18. Echo

That's why I like music sites as SHTV. I have learned here a lot also by comments of others and I always hope some other people will do the same (as long they are willing to open their mind)

keyse1 likes this.
  19. JackS

JackS Then Play On

This sounds like a dead end thread.

20. Diamond Dog

In tems of sheer consistency through the catalogue, advantage Cave, I'm afraid. Bowie is a giant but he's made more sketchy records than Cave, although to be fair he's taken more risks, too.

D.D.

21. Diamond Dog

Mind ?

D.D.

22. Echo

Heart?

23. Diamond Dog

Spleen ?

D.D.

strummer101 likes this.
  24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Indeed. But that's Bowie. He experimented A LOT more with his audience than anyone else.
    Consistency was never Bowie's goal, although it happend to be that way a lot of the time.

25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

If you’ve never heard of him, then I suspect you’re not particularly knowledgable about the world of music.

Sear, Man at C&A, keyse1 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.