Why Nick Cave is the greatest ‘serious’ rock musician of our time. Period. The End.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Echo, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

have to agree
    boys next door door door
    is nothing like
    birthday party hee haw
    is nothing like
    birthday party prayers on fire
    is nothing like
    n.c.a.t.b.s. from her to eternity
    is nothing like
    tender prey
    is nothing like
    the good son
    is nothing like
    abattoir blues
    is nothing like
    skeleton key

someone must have heard two songs lol

Stormrider77, DesertChaos and keyse1 like this.
  2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I’ve been listening to Nick Cave’s The Boatmans Call quite a bit over the last couple of days. It’s a great album.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Where I work he's known for two things. The Kylie duet (which made #1 on the Victorian charts) and the death of his son. No one could name another song (Shivers is better known as a Screaming Jets song).

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Most people couldn’t name more than one Bob Dylan, Neal Diamond or Bruce Springsteen song either (artists previously mentioned on this thread). They might not even be able to name one.

5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Im just glad that we were actuallyable to get to the "final word."

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

On the Fields of Glass/Bright Lights Big City single McComb sounds like he's turning into Cave.

7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

He's overly intense......it wears thin......in my limited experience......I like his ex-Anita Lane.

8. Great shout. Born Sandy Devotional (I mean, just the title is amazing enough) is better than any record I've heard by Nick Cave. It's one of my favourites from that era. Though I think Before Hollywood by The Go-Betweens pips it.
    And yes, David McComb, certainly a better songwriter than Cave, though in the same territory.

9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Ive never heard of him before. I just looked up David McComb on best ever albums.
    He has one album on there in 22, 931st place.

Nick Cave has a few in the top one thousand rated albums, five I think, which is good going for any artist - highest being three hundred odd.

I’ll have a listen to David McComb though regardless though.

10. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Singer songwriter from the band The Triffids
    Treeless Plain
    Born Sandy Devotional
    Calenture are all great records
    Google The Triffids

11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I just did that after I dropped the last reply. Their albums aren’t rated as highly as Cave’s, but I’ll have have a listen later to see what I think.

12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I very much doubt this. Unless you're talking about the entire population of planet Earth.

13. Judging by your musical taste you will enjoy The Triffids. Born Sandy Devotional is the best place to start. They did change styles a few times but that record is the defining one in my book.

Sondek likes this.
  14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I don’t doubt it at all. Your average millienial has very little interest I those artists. They’re generally not really gen Xs thing either. Baby boomers, sure, but then there’s going to be more baby boomers that don’t have any interest than those that do. Overall, most wouldn’t be able to.

15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I’m listening now. They’re quite enjoyable so far. Thanks.

16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I don't have any interest in Bruce Springsteen either and not much in Bob Dylan but, anyway, the point is you don't have to have any interest in some artists their songs are just out there, part of the landscape. Maybe not Springsteen though.

17. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Have a listen to Stolen Property On Sandy
    Several listens
    As paranoid as anything by Richard Thompson

Sondek likes this.
  18. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I’d say no way when it comes to Neal Diamond.
    Bruce and Dylan, I wouldn’t want to lay money on it. I still don’t think so. The likes of you and me would be more interested or clued up than most (by the fact we’re regular users of a music forum alone). Folks might’ve heard their songs, but not know who sings what or what the songs are called.
    There’s a few artists where most probably could. Micheal Jackson, Queen, and The Beatles. But most baby boomers, gen x, and millennials all together naming more than one Dylan and Springsteen song, I can’t see it.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  20. Good to read praise for it and more in the 'comments' section too. Some days I think Calenture is the better record, but blimey! - what an album Born Sandy Devotional is. Not a weak song on there, and so well paced, great opening song, great closing song and everything in between.

David McComb's writing had reached some special ultra high level at this point. On occasion it all comes over like the soundtrack to a collection of well-written short stories, played by a slightly malevolent country'n'western band, who've just got onto The Smiths. Then other times it's just The Triffids. 'Estuary Bed' is my favourite on there, but it's all superb really. A high water-mark of an album.

keyse1 likes this.
  21. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

As people are talking about the Triffids, I think it' s only fair to mention the Go Betweens. Love that group - my greatest Australian band.

keyse1, Williamson and strummer101 like this.
  22. Mine too! One of my favourite bands, period, the end :)

strummer101 and Andrew J like this.
  23. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

All-purpose Aussie band nostalgia thread ? Sure, what the hell.... :uhhuh:

D.D.

scobb, Andrew J and Williamson like this.
  24. shiverbones

shiverbones Forum Resident

I would put J.g. Thirwell above him as having also released no commercial clunkers, but pushed music forward more than nick cave

25. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

I've never heard any of his music, so I can't comment on that aspect. However, he always looks serious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.