Why Nick Cave is the greatest ‘serious’ rock musician of our time. Period. The End.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Echo, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Music isn’t a contest, but if it were, I’d offer these to the thread title..

Lou Reed

Mark E Smith

David Thomas

Brian Eno

Kate Bush

(..just for starters...!)

strummer101 likes this.
  2. shiverbones

shiverbones Forum Resident

As much as I like that list, I can only agree with eno

3. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Yeah, it probably seemed a bit like that but... the Triffids, the Go Betweens and a number of other Australian groups aren't exactly exhausted subjects for discussion. I mean you could probably take a single track on Ringo's worst album and find more about it on here than any of these!

Diamond Dog and Williamson like this.
  4. Yeah, I agree. That's the point, isn't it. We get a thread on Nick Cave being the greatest songwriter ever (ahem)..... and very little about The Triffids or The Go-Betweens. And a load of other bands and artists we could probably mention.

5. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Cave is too one-dimensional to be considered a great artist. He should try lightening up a bit. I saw him in Brixton twenty years ago and he was mildly enjoyable, I suppose. Death doesn’t have to be gloomy. Perhaps he could cover “Bright Side of Life” by Monty Python.

For a truly great artist over the period that Cave has been active, a genuine master of songwriting and versatility, I would suggest Elvis Costello.

Sear, Man at C&A and JoeRockhead like this.
  6. Absolutely - Costello towers above him, and most everyone else mind. For the reasons you've said.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  7. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Fair enough, but even if I wasn’t a Lou Reed fan, nothing on earth could convince me Cave is better than him, nothing :)

Tokyo Ghost and Man at C&A like this.
  8. I think if anything, this thread has established that there's a lot of us out here who don't think Nick Cave is actually that good! :)

Sear and Man at C&A like this.
  9. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I think I actually like him less now after reading some of the pronouncements of opinion presented as fact in this thread

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Echo

Echo Forum Resident Thread Starter

This thread is about OUR time. As far I know Lou Reed has passed away some time ago. And the most creative years of Elvis Costello are also to find in the past...

11. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

"That western" was an Australian (ie not a western at all) and, whilst it's not on my list of great films, I think is rather charming for it.

12. JoeRockhead

our time? Cave and Costello are 3 years apart in age. And as good as Cave's recent albums are, his most creative years are also behind him, sorry.

13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Interesting point. I'm 100% sure Cave's music or lyrics are not trying to appeal to the masses so...... I think it's a given a lot of people haven't heard his music and that it polarises those that do (it challenges you to like it rather than offer a nice catchy melody).

I think his lyrics are, generally dark, and the music difficult which makes him a sort or "Marmite" artist (meaning you love him or hate him). Yes he is pretty one dimensional but what he does is pretty unique and he does very, very well so IMO in his category of music (ie Nick Cave) he meets the title of the thread.

Diamond Dog, strummer101 and keyse1 like this.
  14. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

That is not really relevant
    One of the most incredible things about Nick is how popular he is given that he is 1000 miles removed from mainstream music taste in Australia

D.B. likes this.
  15. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

and on reflection, the thread title is exactly the sort of thing you could imagine a Nick Cave fan saying back in the day.

16. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Are they serious because they use suits and fancy shirts onstage?

Even in a bathrobe the guy is one of the all time greats

BradB likes this.
  17. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Very unsensible
    The fact that Bob Dylan is the best songwriter is not relevant to the quality or lack of it in Nick’s writing
    In fact I would expect that Bob Dylan fans of his writing would be more than receptive to songwriters of the quality of Nick Cave
    nor is it necessary to like him but it is necessary to have been a serious listener of Nick to so casually dismiss his songwriting skills with a comparison to Dylan
    As much as I like the 2 Davids you mention there are much better writers around than them
    Guy Clark Townes Van Zandt John Prine and a lot more
    And none of them are better than Bob

18. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

Take it for what it's worth, but I find most of Nick's music to be pretty boring.

19. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

You keep seeing these opinions that "Nick Cave needs to lighten up". I can't help but think that the folks who feel that way either haven't heard a lot of Nick Cave's music or are taking a lot of it way more seriously than it's meant to be taken. This is the work of a guy with no sense of humour ?

Hell, you do a whole album of songs about murders mass or singular and then end it with a straight-faced but tongue-firmly-in-cheek solemn but smirking reading of Dylan's "Death Is Not The End"?
    This is a guy who needs to lighten up ? C'mon....

As to Cave vs. Costello, I'll say this much: Cave's albums in the last couple of decades have been getting consistently stronger - can you honestly say that about Elvis Costello ? And I'm a Costello fan. The last Costello album I really liked was When I Was Cruel. 2002.

D.D.

polchik, Frightwig, keyse1 and 5 others like this.
  20. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Agreed about Costello. Been a big fan most of my life, but I'm finding it hard to care about any of his recent albums. Seems more concerned with his position in the music pantheon than in creating anything vital.

Saw Nick last year and he was incredible. Blew away my expectations. Absolutely life-affirming.

21. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's a bit feeble that other peoples opinion of a musician dictates whether you like that musician or not.

22. JoeRockhead

NOW YOU TELL ME

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

He peaked with his duet with Kylie Minogue 'Where The Wild Roses Grow'.
    She gave his career some much needed pop clout....

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Nick had been playing venues called The Bucket of Blood for years and fought drug addiction but the only time he admitted to being scared was when he saw the way Kylie's fans were looking at him on Top of the Pops. If he made the wrong move it could have been his last.

Man at C&A and bob60 like this.
  25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Why is this discussion still continuing? The OP settled it at the outset. Period. The End.

Williamson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.