Why no George Harrison at The Last Waltz?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Interpolantics, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Not to mention Paul's suit without tie.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

maybe he was busy.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes indeed. I was at the show and thought he would be there.

Fullbug likes this.
  4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Business differences would have kept Paul away.

5. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

That’s not fiction, that’s science fiction.

6. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

One way to look at it is The Beatles arrived as a formal band in matching business suits & ties. Over time their wardrobe became individualized and less casual before blossoming into hot colored scarves. Eastern minimalist white then getting back to mixed blue collar & business suits sans ties. Generally speaking....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Fullbug likes this.
  7. Like most bands of the era. Early 60s was very much about matching outfits. Maybe a front singer wore something different. That all soon changed..

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Did Jesse come and go to and from the United States during that time? He wasn't granted amnesty until 1977, so (in theory anyway) he would still have been a fugitive if he entered the United States for The Last Waltz.

Former Lee Warmer, wayne66 and chacha like this.
  9. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Similar questions that have never been answered: Why no John Cleese at the Concert for George (the other Pythons still alive were there)? And why no Bob Dylan at the same event?

10. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Dylan was on tour and wouldn't break dates. I never did understand that. He's Bob Flippin' Dylan - he could've postponed some shows if he'd wanted to. Maybe it's too much hassle with promoters. He performed a sloppy rendition of "Something" in tribute at one of his shows. Cleese I'd guess because he doesn't play nice with the other Pythons, but I'm not sure.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Me too. My point was simply that he's not as big a name as Muddy Waters. I most definitely wasn't suggesting his performance was bad or that he should have been omitted from the show.

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, Levon says it was all Robbie's idea, but I think it's a mistake to unquestioningly take what Levon said at face value. Robbie had produced Diamond's most recent album, and Garth played on a couple tracks. To my knowledge, none of the other Band members ever expressed an opinion about Diamond's inclusion in the show, but I don't think we should assume Levon spoke for all of them.

13. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

The reason I heard at the time for Lucky Wilbury's absence from the Concert For George was because Clapton was very insistent that all the guests/participants must rehearse to Clapton's satisfaction and Bob just wasn't down with that. EC apparently even gave McCartney a hard time for not rehearsing his songs with the houseband to Clapton's satisfaction but Macca kinda pulled rank on him.

14. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Oh, I agree with you and I wasn't referring to Levon's book at all. I was referring to several interviews with Robbie over the years where he said that he wanted someone from the Brill Building represented in the guest lineup and also the fact that Robbie had produced two of Diamond's then-recent albums.

15. Kermit27

Kermit27 Forum Resident

That's great info! Thank you

Rfreeman likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah... when people say it was "all Robbie's idea" though, that gives the impression the others were against it. And I just wanted to stress that we don't know how the others (besides Levon) felt.

Clarkophile and Spadeygrove like this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

A huge ego trip is what this show and movie were. I’m sure George was absolutely crushed about not being invited.

Former Lee Warmer and notesfrom like this.
  18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

'I Me Mine' was the Last Beatles song, and was a Waltz.. so perhaps he thought.. 'it's been done'.

19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:D

20. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I thought that was quite beautiful...and moving. Sloppy in a perfect way for me.

21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Wasn't George getting his health back on track around the time of Last Waltz. He probably wouldn't have wanted to risk a relapse.

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

This has been reported a couple times in this thread, but it's not correct. Dylan's tour wrapped a week prior to the Concert for George.

23. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply, but:

"Dylan was on tour"

I don´t think so. The Concert for George was on Nov 29th. Dylan´s last tour date that year was Nov 22nd.

"Cleese I'd guess because he doesn't play nice with the other Pythons"

That makes sense, but he should have been there: George put up the money for the Python´s greatest film, Life of Brian.

24. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Was he still in Canada unable to return to the US following his draft evasion? (Edit: Just checked Wikipedia which says he got amnesty in 1977, so not available for The Last Waltz show.)

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  25. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I know what you meant. Most The Band fans I know, we're perplexed by Neil Diamond being there. When The Last Waltz was shown in theaters that sold beer, when Neil Diamond came on we hit the head.

When the Last Waltz has first shown on HBO, I used. A betamax to record it. Back then, Betamax only recorded on a one hour tape, so it took two.

For years and years we play it at parties. It was a great comradery experience. Once again Neil Diamond was the time to take a break, to go to the head or to indulge in other goodies. I wonder if Neil Diamond was ommited, would it have affect the box office or LP sales?

Yes, Yes, I know that there are lots of Last Waltz fans who love Neil Diamond.

Enough from me, this thread is about George Harrison.

George was in Dylan's orbit, while he like The Band I don't think he was in their obit like Eric Clapton.
    At the time of the Last Waltz concert, it would of been totally surprising for George to be on the stage playing with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.