Why no 'USA' Prog bands made the big 5?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Funny that the Canadians embraced prog more than most of the US

Genesis, Gabriel, Yes, Tull, Crimson etc
    Sold out multi shows to estatic crowds in Montreal, Quebec and Toronto

Rush was heavily influenced by them and I felt the best N American representation of Prog

Xanadu indeed

2. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I love both albums, while the first I would count as prog due to the instrumentation, the second one is absolutely a soft rock kind of album. It has it's moments, but only two songs (Valkyrie and Did You See Him Cry) really get close to the first record's sound.

Whizz Kid likes this.
  3. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

I do think this American/jazz influence, European/classical influence is a bit over-stated at times.

OK, Lake and Emerson overtly stated a couple of things and Wakeman's background (or part of) is well-known, as is Kerry Minnear's, but if you look at a number of UK-ian musicians, especially drummers, who came through in the '60s and '70s and played in bands, not necessarily prog, with a tendency to longer forms, you'll find quite a few with a grounding in or predilection for jazz: Bill Bruford; Phil Collins; Ginger Baker; Steve Upton (Wishbone Ash); Guy Evans (VDGG); Bonham was even a big Alphonse Mouzon fan; Jack Bruce; the rest of the Brand X crew; pretty much anyone who was in Soft Machine; possibly the likes of Egg and Hatfield and The North; and...and...

It isn't that clear cut.

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:hide: The biggest prog (and progressive) band is The Beatles.

5. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Well, classical is not the only influence in prog rock. Prog was in the first place a natural progression from british psychedelia (most key members from prog outfits had a past in psych bands), and Pink Floyd certainly is an example of that evolution. As I had written earlier, I don't consider half of Floyd's catalog prog either, but I don't hesitate to file albums like Atom Heart Mother, Meddle (Echoes!) or Animals under prog.

Tristero and Doggiedogma like this.
  6. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

The Beatles never were prog, but the Sgt. Pepper's album definitely served as a template and early influence for what a few years later would become the album-oriented prog genre.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Crimson Witch, RangerXT and Tristero like this.
  7. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

So what would an exclusive American Big 5 look like?

Kansas
    Utopia
    Styx
    ???
    ???

8. VVK

VVK Well-Known Member

There were many good US prog bands in the 70s: Pavlov's Dog, Ambrosia (first album), Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, Muffins, Ethos, Yezda Urfa, Mirthrandir, Starcastle, Victor Peraino's Kingdom Come, Fireballet... but most of them very obscured

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. yikes, no

mid to late 70s, based on ability/credibility:

Zappa
    Muffins
    Utopia
    Happy the Man
    Crack the Sky

T'mershi Duween and jay.dee like this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Have to at least put Return to Forever in there-- Romantic Warrior is probably the classic prog/fusion album.

Could make a case for Chicago and Spirit as well.

Crimson Witch and jay.dee like this.

11. Fusion was/is a whole another thing: RTF, Headhunters, Lifetime, etc.,

Spirit, Chicago and many many others were definitely progressive, just not prog (calcified dead ends of progressive post '72)

12. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Much too "easy" to be right. If "classical music" had had significant homes after World War 2, they'd be Paris (around Boulez and Schaeffer) and New York (around Cage). Certainly not the UK, who produced little of note in that field.

Blank Frank and zphage like this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Pretty closely related at this point though, especially with Chick Corea bringing in a lot of prog-like titles and imagery. And of course some prog bands completely absorbed fusion, UK being the best example.

14. Also consider all the early 70s UK jazz-rock progressives like Catapilla, Circus, East of Eden, Soft Machine, Nucleus, Walrus, Mike Westbrook, etc.,

15. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

There is/was no equivalent in the US of the UK's art schools. The US has private art colleges, but nothing on the scale of the state-funded art colleges in the UK.

Obviously, not everyone who was in a prog band went to art school; and not everyone who went to art school joined/formed a prog band. But it was a part of British music culture for which there was simply no equivalent in the US.

Hopefully some UK posters can add a bit more (or tell me I'm completely off-base!).

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Hmm I guess 'home' referred the presence of the market/listeners. The UK has never been the home of the world's leading composers.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

There are (or were !) healthy markets for classical music all around mainland Europe as well as as northern America. It seems to me that most, if not all, populous cities in the US have opera houses and concert halls, and that the US has its fair share of classical record labels.
    Though it's true that "classical-minded" countries like France, Italy and Germany have their own prog traditions, I see no cause and effect there.

ianuaditis and Crimson Witch like this.
  18. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

In comparison to what the British were doing and how many albums they were selling, maybe Kansas and that's it. Utopia were a good band, but not really prog, Zappa was a terrific visionary but not prog, etc. When you get into stuff like Happy the Man, Starcastle, Cathedral, Styx or Pavlov's Dog, you're either getting into obscure bands that only prog nerds remember or you're scraping the bottom of the barrel, IMO. Most of them did not have the lasting influence of Yes, Genesis or King Crimson.

RangerXT and DaverJ like this.
  19. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

right, and this is why the blues explosion in 1962, fueled the american blues interest several years later.

So blues were our home, and then what happened? We expatriated them? Ignored them? Ran off with their little sister?

20. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I know I'm probably all wrong, but didnt Emerson also say he was big time influenced by Brubeck, and spent many hours learning his stuff?

Its funny, but when I listen to some crazy 5/4 thing like Tarkus, I'm thinking, thats Brubeck, not Mussorgsky

altho I might be wrong. I often am.

gja586, RangerXT and Mr. LP Collector like this.
  21. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Yeesh, guys, come on. It isn't THAT hard:

Rush (going to claim them from Canada)
    Spock's Beard
    Dream Theater
    Echolyn
    Tiles
    Enchant
    (pre-Perry) Journey

Rufus rag likes this.
  22. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

William Byrd, and John Dowland were pretty good.

Seriously I am just now reading abook about musical history and it seems that in the rennaissance a lot of the musical progress and modernism was coming from England. Just like at some other times.

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Rondo" by the Nice was from Brubeck. There were also some jazz quotes in ELP ("St. Thomas" in Karn Evil 9 2nd Impression, Oliver Nelson in "Hoedown").

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Also Good God and Grits

25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It’ true and there was great Purcell. However, after Baroque era, the UK never had a composer as influential as, say, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Ravel and Debussy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.