Why Paul McCartneys later work is so brilliant

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree, and I think that the improvement cane when he stopped caring so much about the pop charts. With the exception of Band on the Run and Ram, most of his 70's work sounds like what it is - finely crafted pop, better than Neil Sedaka, but lacking the depth of efforts by Elton John, James Taylor, Billy Joel and practically every other singer-songwriter from the 70's. We didn't need any more "hit" duets with hot artists ("Ebony & Ivory", "The Girl is Mine", "Say Say Say"), and thank goodness he didn't become the new Peter Cetera under the "guidance" of Phil Ramone.

An album like Flaming Pie had nothing that sounded like a "hit" (at least not in 1997), but the music sounded honest, a trait that has marked his best work since then. "Calico Skies" from that album is beautiful - so much so that it breaks your heart seeing him sing it to Linda (who was to pass away less than a year after its release). I think the music will endure.

2. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

I forgot how those scenes with Linda bring a tear to the eye

Hep Alien, Shak Cohen and theMess like this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Agreed. But I like the fact he’s still at it, slugging away.

And the new single is very catchy. I know...duh!...

4. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Well said!

5. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Rushes, Pie, Chaos, Electric Arguments and New are 5 great albums that stand along with his best solo work in the 70's and early 80's...

5 year stretch from New to now is a long time to wait for new music considering his ventures like Liverpool Sound Collage his classical en-devours and Fireman stuff.
    Maybe he finally accepts he does not need to prove anything anymore. Hope the new album is a success, was secretly hoping for a double album. Certainly looking forward to the Macca Anthology of demos and unreleased tracks which he will probably happen after he passes.

theMess likes this.
  6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Is it?

starduster likes this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

"Quennie Eye"?
    Miserable mush.

8. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

devoid of melody? wtf? :help:

Paulwalrus, Shak Cohen and theMess like this.
  9. Kundera the joke.

Kundera the joke. Senior Member

‘House Of Wax’ is one of my favourite solo McCartney songs.

10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Mccartney's later work completes his legacy. And he's a nice guy :D

theMess and angelees like this.
  11. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Nice assessment. I think this later period has a greater depth, which some may not like, because they want the poppy Paul. I personally enjoy the later period, as much as the seveties output. As far as the vocal, I think his "phrasing" has gotten better, to compensate for the diminished vocal quality, similar to how Sinatra evolved.

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  12. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Forum Resident

First off - Calico Skies is my wedding song, so it has a very special place in my heart.
    I think some of his recent music has been brilliant and overall the last few albums have all been very good or better. Looking forward to hear new music.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Electric Arguments contains some of his best work in the pop music vein since the break up, hidden away on a Fireman album.

14. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

“Driving Rain” is dull. A huge dissapointment for me when it came out. Too long, too under-developed and too many fillers. Coning after the majestic “Flaming Pie”, it was a huge letdown. Under than that, I agree his latterday albums are really great.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  15. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I can't stand his voice anymore

Pete Puma likes this.
  16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think Driving Rain and Memory Almost Full are weaker. Flaming Pie, Chaos and Creation, Electric Arguments and New are quite strong.

Hep Alien and Elliottmarx like this.
  17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This type discussion is a very good indicator of why McCartney's Post Beatles music is absolutely brilliant! There's something for everyone!

What one person doesn't like another loves. I'm in the minority camp when it comes to McCartney II and the Fireman. I think those 4 albums are the absolute worse of McCartney's entire career! That's just my opinion, and even on two of those albums there are songs that I like.

I think there's brilliance through out McCartney's Wings/solo material, Memory Almost Full is one of his absolute best to me!

It's the variety of styles and melodies in his music that always thrills me. Paul McCartney's Wings/solo music is brilliant because there's something for the folky, the romantic, the countryboy/girl, the hard rocker, the pop lover, the experimental, there's something for everyone!

theMess likes this.
  18. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I think some of his best post-Beatles lyrics are found in the latter day albums -- From "Flaming Pie" onwards.

While I'm not primarily a lyrics person, a good lyric can definitely help make a song and I think this has often been the case in latter period material.

theMess likes this.
  19. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Yes! I would also love to see proposed tracklists.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it isn't

starduster likes this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Yes it is
    :)

theMess likes this.
  22. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Not really a fan of his later work, Fireman - Rushes is the only one after Flaming Pie that I played much.

23. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Think that doing this for decades has a hand in current songs being devoid of ear catching hooks and melodies? Give the guy a break. He’s come up with more fantastic melodies than any one person could possibly come up with.

24. Bemagnus

The great thing with music is that it exist so much of it that there always is stuff to like even though one can t like everything
    The great thing with McCartney is that he has made so much music during such a long time in so many different styles there is something there for most people to enjoy and of course not enjoy

theMess and Chuckee like this.
  25. Bemagnus

I kind of agree that great hooks are not the thing with some of Pauls later work. When it comes to melodies I believe he still is a master
    It s just yhat he composes in a different way -his current music needs more listens to fully appreciate. But the gift is still there

Rojo, Shak Cohen and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.