Why Teen Spirit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uly Gynns

Uly Gynns Forum Resident Thread Starter

There were a ton of great, powerful, emotional, raw songs released around 1990-1992. Among them were "Alive" by Pearl Jam, "Outshined" by Soundgarden, "Man in the Box" by Alice in Chains, "Coma" by Guns N' Roses, "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica, amongst others. Yet for some reason, Smells Like Teen Spirit resonated much more deeply with kids all across America than those other songs. Unlike most of the other songs listed here, Teen Spirit's lyrics were unclear both in their writing and in their delivery, almost nonsensical and they don't really make any clear statement, and yet somehow, something about it struck a deep chord with teens and young adults in 1992.

What was it about that song that propelled it, for you reading this, above Alive, above Coma, above Man in the Box and other raw songs of the same time?

What was it, and is it, that makes Teen Spirit so powerful?

2. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

It had a cool video.

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Beat me too it! :laugh:

Seriously, Kurt sang it like he meant it, whatever it was.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Secretly reminded everyone of "More Than a Feeling" ??

sami, hi_watt, dougb222 and 13 others like this.
  5. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Now you're talking!! :D

junk and K.P. like this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:rolleyes: Again with the Nirvana obsession? Honestly, I thought Nevermind was overrated too, but I'm not losing sleep over it twenty years later. Seek help, Uly. . .

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It was just a different sound altogether. The angst of Cobain's vocals, the quiet/loud of the verses vs. the chorus, and overall composition of the song. It spoke to someone of my generation.

It was the perfect melding of punk meets metal meets alternative sound. I guess, in some ways, you had to be there to experience it first hand. Much like The Beatles, or Zeppelin, or Sabbath, it was like nothing you heard before but had elements of a lot that you had.

Rachel, KAT, tkl7 and 27 others like this.
  8. K.P.

K.P. Active Member

How is making an honest question about that song losing sleep over it or even an obsession?
    I thought it was a legitimate question.

Justin L., RubenH, sloaches and 9 others like this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I think it's because all the other songs you listed sucked. Especially the Metallica. Garbage.

I was there. I remember.

10. Tristero

Every week, Uly starts threads about how overrated Nirvana is (often versus GNR), desperately trying to take them down a notch. I'm not even a fan, but it gets a little ridiculous after a while.

11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This guy rarely participates in his own threads anyway.
    He posts threads designed to elicit arguments. Weird.

Bobby Buckshot, segue, K.P. and 4 others like this.
  12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Kurt's voice.

erniebert, theron d, dino77 and 2 others like this.
  13. Tristero

It's a classic troll play--stir up the crap and walk away.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Don't forget tiresome !!

;)

Ugh.

15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Uly is a Garbage Poster. It's well known around here. I just try to have fun with these threads before they get locked.

16. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Because Ban and Secret don't give me the protection I need?

17. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It's just a killer tune. And I don't think I've ever heard any of the other songs in the opening post.

Aftermath likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You ever wonder with the vanquishing of guys like chin stroker, or The Spaceman or whomever else that some other individual arises from the ashes, like The Phoenix, and carries on the absurdity? It's almost like clockwork.

19. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I guess the Gorts can't really do anything about guys like this. They're not really breaking forum rules, but are clearly being obnoxious.
    Problem is, there's so many members and most of them don't recognize some posters as trolls they are.

20. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I liked it before I saw the video, went over to my friend's one day & he was blasting it.

21. K.P.

K.P. Active Member

For me, I think was for a few reasons.
    Yeah, it had a really engaging and aesthetically pleasing video.
    But I think that part of the reason why it was so successful had to do with WHAT YOU SAID.
    It was because it seemed so nonsensical.
    "What the hell is he screaming about? What's all this about albinos and mulattos? Why is it so hard to understand what he's talking about?"
    Plus, music that abrasive and dynamic hadn't been exposed to that wide a mainstream audience in a while.
    It was the complete opposite of everything that was being force fed to the masses. It was really raw, dirty and abrasive, but was really catchy and melodic.

That style of music wasn't new and Nirvana weren't the only ones doing it at that time, but they were the only ones that sounded like that being fed to that many people, with a video being played around the clock, and ridiculous mass media coverage.
    It was just an example of being in the right place at the right time, and Geffen taking a huge gamble on them.
    Thats all it comes down to.
    Both Grohl and Novoselic are on record saying that this is the case.
    Regardless, it was an exciting time for me.
    It's a shame some people have to s___ on it and make people feel small for loving them so much, and being so intrigued by them.
    And when people say something is "overrated", I find that to be extraordinarily ignorant.
    You rate things as they refer to your own taste.
    Music shouldn't be "rated" on any significant level at all. It's to be enjoyed for what it is, or not enjoyed.
    Personal taste does not define what things are. Just what they are FOR YOU.

[​IMG]

theshape, vinylphile, ARK and 6 others like this.
  22. K.P.

K.P. Active Member

BINGO. an intelligent viewpoint discovered.

ARK, bopdd and GodShifter like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm a moderator on a much smaller music website and it's tough to root out the trolls, repeat offenders, and aliases on there. I can only imagine the headaches it is on this forum. The GORTS do their best, but there are always individuals that are able to slip under the radar. Too bad ....

O Don Piano likes this.
  24. Exactly. Case closed.

hi_watt, ARK and GodShifter like this.
  25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Forum members please help! Theres a Nirvana switch on somewhere inside my head and I can't reach it to turn it off.
    Fighting...urge...to....start....new.....post....about....Nirvana....

ronm, GodShifter and K.P. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.