Why the Vinyl Boom is Over - WSJ

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by seaisletim, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Its completely dead , vinyl sucks

ALL prices must be slashed 75% :D

2. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

The sales #'s don't account for used vinyl sales which I'd assume is much higher. Most non-rookie consumers aren't going to pay $50+ for a colored double 45rpm from low-res digital sources, when much of the time, for the same price or less, they can get a better sounding used original in a record store or ebay etc.

3. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

So what about those of us who also listen to new albums by current artists? I always forget how many people here only mean "new reissues of old records" when they talk about "new vinyl."

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Three pages on an article that no one can read. It's like those threads on artists that no one has ever heard.

groovelocked and levi like this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I buy lots of new vinyl (now playing The Residents' The Ghost Of Hope, purchased earlier today), and I never seem to get bad pressings.

Like, never.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The entire article is in post #12.

black sheriff likes this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes it is, especially when you consider the growth rates of the previous few years. But it's hardly ever mentioned in discussions.

8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Yes
    You mean unlike another Beatles thread? :rolleyes:

Starquest likes this.
  9. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

I'd still say used records accounts for higher percentage.

10. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I posted the text of the article about halfway down the first page

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The people criticizing others for not reading are the ones who aren't reading.

That's pretty funny.

havenz, e.s. and DRM like this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I read that as "a mom threw down over $600 of vinyl onto her son."

Dr. Funk and Terrapin Station like this.
  13. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I love the way CD fanboys get so fiery over the idea that there's an option besides CD for physical media again after CD people essentially owned everything during the 90s and 00s. It's like they treat it as someone they thought they murdered in high school (and hid the body somewhere nobody would find it) but turned out to just be in hiding until they came back to haunt them.

monte4, e.s., dkmonroe and 5 others like this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is what pisses me off.

Gavinyl, tim185 and seaisletim like this.
  15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

So what you're saying is, The music biz is killing the vinyl fad itself.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Right, Many vinyl buyers are getting used vinyl as well as new vinyl. There are millions of used records out there. I mean vinyl has been in print for what 80 years? One could easily just buy used vinyl and compile a large collection and never be included in vinyl sales data. Not to mention used turntables have a much longer life span than used cd players.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I with you, very rarely do I have to return any new records. Perhaps less than 10 over many years. The new Elton John and Joe Bonamassa records I just bought are very nice pressings indeed.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

WSJ...doesn't that stand for "Worthless Sensational Journalism"?

19. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Vinyl isn't over, but our patience to accept subpar product at elevated prices sure is!

There's good and bad in that. The good: labels can't just mindlessly crank stuff out for a quick hit and run profit. (Well, they can, but they'll be shamed on social media for it and their reputation will take a hit.)
    On the flip side, the cash cows subsidize the quirkier titles (as with all media) and if there are no cash cows, we may see less willingness to reissue rare albums from label back catalogs.

Hmmm.

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It's over. Go ahead and send all your crappy vinyl discs to me so I can properly dispose of them

21. jon9091

This isn't really unique to the vinyl resurgence though. The non-transparency of source materials has been going on since the very first CD reissues IMO. It's just that now, they are getting more slick with the verbiage. Back then, it seems they used whatever tapes were laying around, and as long as it said "digitally remastered from the master tapes", people were thrilled. I'm still amazed that Barry Diament got such good sounding discs from the crummy tapes he said he usually had to work with.

22. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Consider yourself lucky. I've returned many records to Amazon in the past few years. Many of them were United pressings.

23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I've had to return many as well and finally gave up using amazon.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am at the point where I automatically assume records are from digital files, if nothing is noted about source. It's the records that are advertised with wording like from original tapes which are actually digital file sourced. Oh well...

Dr. Funk likes this.
  25. jon9091

Yeah, I think at this point it's pretty safe to assume they are digital unless they make a big deal about it.

Gavinyl, Dr. Funk and Tullman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.