Why was "One After 909" resurrected?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markbrow, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markbrow

markbrow Forum President Thread Starter

Apologies for another Beatles thread... and I did do a search so if there's an existing thread on this please just post a link instead of giving me crap.

So wiki, Mark L and others tell me that "One After 909" was an early Lennon composition with some McCartney input -- something written early, recorded early, discarded, then brought back in 1969.

Does anyone have evidence of why this song was revived? I love both versions of it -- early and late -- but it was a complete surprise to me when the early version turned up on the "Sessions" bootleg in the late '80s/early '90s.

So WHY did 909 get picked up all those years later?

Sean, Pigalle and ParloFax like this.
  2. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Well the album started as a back to the roots LP, so it kind of made sense.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I wish the original version had been released, it had a rockabilly vitality that they only occasionally showed as the years went on ("Run For Your Life")

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I've always like it too! A wasted opportunity for an earlier album.
    Could have easily thrown out that 'mr moonlight' rubbish for this beauty!

5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

'One After 909' was resurrected for 'Let It Be' because one of John & Paul's earliest skiffle compositions
    'Revolution 9' was already reconfigured for side 4 of the White Album and couldn't be used.

6. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I'll Cry Instead.

Hey Vinyl Man and john lennonist like this.
  7. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Because they were trying to get back to where they once belonged.

8. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

908 and 910 were unavailable

9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The Beatles ran through and reminisced on a bunch of old Lennon/McCartney originals, such as Too Bad About Sorrows, Thinking Of Linking, and If Tomorrow Ever Comes on January 3rd, 1969. They also did Because I Know You Love Me So and One After 909, which can be heard on Fly On The Wall from Let It Be... Naked. Paul mentions "our kid," a nickname for brother Mike (McGear), saying that he's encouraged them in the past to resurrect it. Unlike those other oldies, the Beatles did seem to rate 909 very well, and began rehearsing it regularly, so that by the time they were up on the roof, they had a tight arrangement.

10. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

It was one of many songs they dug up for Get Back, but in this case it passed muster for inclusion. Being a Lennon/ McCartney song surely helped.

If you listen to the original One After 909 sessions on the 1963 itunes dump, it clearly comes across as uninspired - they were right to drop it then.

DrBeatle and Allen Michael like this.
  11. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Paul's replacement after the real Paul died did not know the song, he found the demo and liked it, so he decided to include it.
    The others thought it was a good idea for a "Get Back" album.

12. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Actually Paul has stated that he convinced John to do it, even though John didn't want to. The original was released on Anthology 1 and it must be stated it was hardly of note. None of the Beatles sound like their into the song. So it was shelved. When it was resurrected, the version on the original Let It Be lacks the fire exhibited on the version on Let It Be Naked. Billy Preston's keyboards and George's guitar are brought forward in the mix. Paul's exhorting of George's solo is proof positive that they actually had fun doing the song.

13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Wait a minute... 910 is the one after 909.

14. Rick Bartlett

Yes, why didn't they sing about the 910, who cares about the 909, it has little significance really...

15. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

There's a scene in Let It Be where Paul McCartney explains how they came to resurrect some of their self-penned not-so-golden oldies. It may have taken some persuading before John Lennon warmed to the idea, but once they got to actually play the One After 909, it was more than Just Fun. They worked up a new arrangement that is vastly superior to the half-hearted studio attempt from March 1963 and clearly brought the band joy when playing it. By no means a groundbreaking song, but I love it in the context of the Get Back sessions!

Couldn't the OP have just taken out his blu-ray copy of the film and checked the scene I mentioned for himself? Oh, wait, ...

longdist01, bzfgt and telepicker97 like this.
  16. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

"Till There Was You" or "Besame Mucho" would probably have made great versions if they were played in 1969 with Billy Preston in a bluesy / jazzy type of sound.

17. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Maybe it was yoko's favorite song at the time.

majorlance likes this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

John was doing a lot of heroin around the time of the Let It Be sessions which was interfering with his coming up with much new material, particularly rockers. This filled the void nicely to up his representation.

19. Rick Bartlett

John became a bit of a pig in the way he treated people too. George Martin, certainly was not
    impressed by Lennon around this time, and bailed.

DrBeatle and mando_dan like this.
  20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It makes sense in 1969 as a nostalgic/circular return to their roots, and it totally suits the rootsy/back to basic atmos of the Get It Be project. 909 dates back to at least 1960 (possibly earlier?) and loads of other pre-fame originals were revived for consideration during The Get Back Sessions, although 909 was the only one remembered well/rehearsed seriously enough to be a contender for the album.

What I don't understand is why they were trying to record in in 1963, at the same time as 'From Me To You'.. did they think it was potential single material for 1963? It would have sounded antique and corny in that context. Imagine if it had gone out in 1963 as the follow up to 'Please Please Me'.. I honestly think their career would have stumbled badly.

Suncola and ParloFax like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Still would have been better than 'mr moonlight'.

bzfgt likes this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The only full new tunes John came up with for Let It Be were Dont Let Me Down and Dig A Pony, and only one of these made the album. They also filled the gap by polishing their older recording of Across the Universe and adding filler like Dig It and Maggie Mae and his spoken word comments between songs to make it seem more like he was fully involved.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think that they also should had added Suzy Parker (or Suzy's Parlour). Even though John may have made up the lyrics on the spot, it rocked and was fun.

24. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

one of the few songs that have any life to it. In the middle of all their infighting this song from the old days must have been almost fun to play.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

True.

halfjapanese likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.