Why was the song, "Yesterday" not included in the 1965 Beatles film Help!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by underthecovers, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. underthecovers

underthecovers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I tried Google but all the search results are about that newest movie Yesterday. The song, "Yesterday" arguably the Beatles most well-known song surprisingly isn't featured in the film Help!. It seems like it would be in the film or have I lost all memory. My biggest question, why? Recorded at later date is my guess. Love to get the scope.

2. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...A downer as a song - and not quite fitting the YeahbYeahbFsb Groovy Gear Beatlrptofuct tonrbof " HELP! "? And not fitting any part of the dtoryz not to get all Stephen Sondheim about it:D.........And too much a Paul solo;)?

3. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Paul, are you buzzing?

4. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:uhhuh: You are correct sir. As was "I'm Down" and the two songs on side two that wound up on the American "Rubber Soul."

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  5. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

It wasn't in the film because it was on the non-soundtrack side of the album.

6. BusNoise

BusNoise Forum Resident

The rest of them weren't on it...

Rich C and arthurprecarious like this.
  7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

????

BZync, MikeVielhaber, 905 and 2 others like this.
  8. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I was coming up with reasons (Other than it simply having been recorded later) for it not having been in the film. That was, after all, the question.

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:laugh:

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It wasn't recorded yet when the filming was happening; it was recorded a month and a half before the film's premiere.

In the UK it was practically used as back-nine filler on the Help! album.

In the US, it was a #1 single.

11. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

They had to record the songs intended for the soundtrack before filming started. This was done in February 65. Yesterday was not recorded till June and presumably had not yet been written or at least finished when the rest of the soundtrack was recorded. The exception was Help! itself which was written later, hence it's inclusion as the b/w clip at the start of the film rather than as a "film section proper".

BeatleJWOL and hallucalation like this.
  12. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Wracking my brain to imagine where Yesterday could be inserted into the movie, my best idea would be that during the sledding sequence the comical version(see below) of the song might fit nicely!

[​IMG]

enfield likes this.
  13. TheOrangeApple

TheOrangeApple Well-Known Member

It wouldn't fit the tone of the film.

14. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Apparently, the song was completely finished not long before the recording session in June 1965. But the filming ended on 14 April 1965.
    During the filming the lyrics were yet to be written.
    Richard Lester remembers:
    We were shooting Help! in the studio for about four weeks. At some point during that period, we had a piano on one of the stages and he was playing this ‘Scrambled Eggs’ all the time. It got to the point where I said to him, ‘If you play that bloody song any longer have the piano taken off stage. Either finish it or give up!’

But I highly doubt the song would have been featured in the film anyway.
    They refused to release the song as a single as they didn't want this type of song to represent them in the singles charts.
    Paul himself said: "We were a little embarrassed about it, we were a rock ‘n’ roll band.”

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

There's a bit in ' Anthology' where George Martin is recalling a conversation he had with Brian Epstein about the release of ' Yesterday ' as a single in the U.S.
    Martin suggested it be issued as a solo- McCartney single. Epstein was adamant that that not happen. He loved his group.

16. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

And the U.K. EP, released 6 months after the US single, spent 6 embarrassing weeks at #1. I guess the US market was ahead of the curve. :)

notesfrom likes this.
  17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

But at the end Leo McKern mouths the word "help" and the song comes out. Lester must have known about it during primary filming.

18. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

"A Downer as a song" was also my immediate thought. Never liked it and still mystified as to how and why it became so popular. It has a catchy melody though, which perhaps may account for its mass appeal. I think the song is similar in ways to Gilbert O'Sullivan's song 'Alone Again Naturally' with its pleasant enough melody, yet dreadful lyrics. Cut the words from both songs, and they might pass as somewhat listenable melodic pop distractions.

19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Would it have added to the movie? I don't think so.

Fender Relic likes this.
  20. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I think a posting problem.ot two distorted s couple lined above, as posted.
    " YeahYeahFabGroovyGearBeatle product tone of ' HELP! ' ", and " part of the story ".

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

because they (the beatles) did not want it in the movie.

underthecovers likes this.
  22. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

In 1976, when EMI re-released the Beatles' UK singles - all 22 of them - they went ahead and made it 23. They couldn't deny that 'Yesterday' was one of the biggest hits of them all. So, eleven years later it was finally a UK single... better late than never.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Singles Collection 1962–1970 - Wikipedia

ARK and Culpa like this.
  23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

The Monkees wrote it!

Fullbug and WLL like this.
  24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It was better off as a #1 single; #1 for the month of October '65 in the US:

[​IMG]

Fullbug likes this.
  25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

'Yesterday' was tops across most big city US markets that October; 'Get Off Of My Cloud' and 'Positively 4th Street' were hanging tough:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

zen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.