Why were CDs recorded in 16-bit/44.1khz?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MZ_RH1, Feb 5, 2017.

1. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Please tell me that was supposed to be a joke.
    We English never quite know with you guys.

crispi likes this.
  2. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Who knows whether it's only a myth.

3. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I think its a bit of myth to say that CD players sounded bright.Philips early DAC's (TDA 1541/1543) that we used in many of the early machines were not bright at all and had a lovely analogue sound signature.The brightness came from early digital recording,mastering,filtering techniques where HF responses were often emphasized due to over-compensation, or engineers wanting that zingy analytical sound as an anidote /alternative to the more reserved(and in their eye)s old fashion sound of Lp's and Cassette.

4. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Oh, so the spec isnt original redbook?

5. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

The problem with that argument is that when I played pre-purchase CDs, they sounded better on the Meridian. So my experience is that did a better job with playback. That said, doubtless there were also mastering improvements.

6. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Am i right in thinking that Meridian used Philips transports and DAC's in their models..If so,then no doubt it would have sounded better than the very early Cd players (that initially had below average DAC's fitted to them.)

7. MZ_RH1

MZ_RH1 Active Member Thread Starter

So old DACs are better than newer ones?

8. JimmyCool

JimmyCool Elvis Presley Expert

Well mastered CDs sound as good as it gets.

RomanZ, Litejazz53, lance b and 2 others like this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't have a super system, either. But, you don't necessarily need one to hear it. what you want to listen for is the width of the soundstage , depth, clarity of transients, and transient smearing. all of those things will be less at redbook.

EdogawaRampo and Cherrycherry like this.
  10. Grant

All CDs are mastered. And, no, not all newly remastered CDs are good, which one of the main points of this forum. Its always a case-by-case basis.

11. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Last time I visited my local thrift they had an old Magnavox CD player from the 80s that certainly has one of the old Philips DACs in it. The case was somehow damaged so you couldn't press the keys. I almost brought it home anyway, and may go back for it. Just for curiosity.

enfield likes this.
  12. PhilBiker

The CD-Text spec is a 90s invention. The original CD format really should have had text, but it was left out.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. Grant

I owned a very bright CD player in the 80s. I discovered this in 1990 when I stepped up to a better player. it wasn't usually the CDs, but those from the Arista label were the worst, IMO.

14. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I love you, Grant, but how is what you said in any way relevant to the @JimmyCool post you quoted? :laugh:

JulesRules likes this.
  15. Grant

If there was more, I can't see it.

16. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

It certainly varies with the Brand and model. My first CD player was a Sony D-5 and it had a very hard bright sound. My second CD player was a Philips/Magnvox and it had no such hardness. I didn't realize what digital chips were inside, but the Magnavox had the TDA chips which became years later sought-after for multiple-chip DACs. You're right. Totally different. I'm a big fan of some Sony products, including a few of their early CD players which strangely do not exhibit any hardness, but overall, Philips is to me the better sounding brand in the good old days.

enfield likes this.
  17. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Depends what sound you are looking for..Most DAC,s from the last 10 years will sound really good..I love the sound of 80's philips DAC's,(Smooth analogue sound) .Or mid-90's Sony 'pulse' DAC's.(Beautifully transparent and great for classical music).

Shak Cohen, c-eling and kevinsinnott like this.
  18. MZ_RH1

I've seen those pulse CD players at Goodwill. Maybe I'll pick one up

enfield likes this.
  19. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Anyone else get suckered into purchasing a green felt-tip pen to line the edges of a CD? Apparently it was supposed to stop the laser leaking thus making the digital reading more accurate!
    I couldn't tell any difference but could there be any truth in the pens claims?
    [​IMG]

20. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

But not all are *well mastered*, which is what he wrote.

21. MZ_RH1

Seriously???. Its digital. Either it reads the 0s and 1s or it doesnt read them at all.

goodiesguy, LarryP, Grant and 2 others like this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I remember seeing that crap in shops. You know I've actually never run into a used disc using it.
    However I did find this one with a 'stabilizer' ring, Pfft, like this mastering needed any a help... :laugh:
    [​IMG]

23. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

Yup, I got snookered too.

Tony Cruse likes this.
  24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

To think some dips*** in Stereophile actually printed the pen story. Yeah, they printed it. LOL.

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. PhilBiker

I'm afraid to try to take the stabilizer ring off this one:
    [​IMG]

c-eling likes this.