Why weren't Beatles' concerts broadcast on American television?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I was watching again (just for Karla) the Beatles' Anthology last night and I have a question.

Other than the four times they were on the Ed Sullivan show (and that part of the Washington DC closed circuit gig), why were none of the Beatles' concerts ever broadcast in the USA? When they played in Germany a show was taped, when they played in Japan both of the shows were taped, in that weird but neat pastel Japanese TV color. When they played a concert in France it was broadcast, and that great version of "You Can't Do That" from the Australian concert TV tape that ALMOST sounds like the actual studio mix; the best sound from any TV broadcast.

So why not in the USA? The Hollywood Bowl gig would have been perfect for a live or taped broadcast, either in 1964 or 65. Is it because Brian Epstein thought that no one would buy show tickets if the stuff was given away free on TV? He didn't care about that in all the other countries, including the UK.

Does anyone know?

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Steve, I have no idea but Ed Sullivan did host that Shea Stadium concert on TV not live, of course, but as a one hour special. I believe that was broadcast in Ed's normal Sunday night time slot.

mud-

3. Steve Hoffman

Mud, that show was broadcast on the ABC network. I remember it well. I was shocked when they showed the Beatles in the dressing room before the show looking all grim and lackluster, combing their hair and generally looking bored and sleepy. It altered my opinion of their lifestyle!

At any rate, I meant more of an on the spot kind of thing, like in other countries.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Steve, we always thought they lived together!!:laugh:

mud-

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Wasn't Beatles At Shea shown here?

(Too slow posting!)

6. Steve Hoffman

Ya gotta read the thread, Larry! :rolleyes:

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

When I started typing, your first post was the only thing here. Sorry.

8. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

There must've been an international version issued as well.

The good old BBC showed the Shea Concert in about 1979 - no video recorder (unfortunately) , but I did make an audio tape.

When I later saw the concert on a bootleg video, there were interview cuts over "I'm Down" which I don't remember being in the BBC version?

Anyone shed any light?

Nobby.

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

It was that scene in Help where they walked into the four seperate doors to reveal one large and very groovy room that perfectly encapsulated the lifestyle. :cool:

10. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

That scene is what convinced me they did live together.

mud-

11. xios

xios Senior Member

Nobby- I'm Down was shown twice during the Shea concert film. Once at the beginning with no interview intercuts, and again at the end with the interviews. Steve- US television wouldn't even show Magical Mystery Tour here based on a foreign review of a black and white broadcast...as for the other taped concerts, maybe there was too much red tape for showing overseas concerts. You would think in the Mania days they would be great ratings winners.

12. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I remember them on other shows like Shindig but especially after '66, they just sent promo videos that were shown on shows like Sullivan and American Bandstand (that Dick Clark...whatta marroon) :)
    I remember watching Shea on regular tv. They used to run their movies on tv a lot too.
    It is funny how I don't recall a single live concert (outside what is mentioned already) being broadcast....but then again, look at what fools they were for not broadcasting Magical Mystery Tour. That one really bummed me out!

13. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

The Japanese "Live in Buddakan" is great.

And Steve-O is right about the groovy pastel colors. JVC Cameras, I believe, but solid state!! I've got that on VHS and it still looks great even tho is a high generational source. I understand its available on DVD as a boot, but in very good quality. And I think the audio is true stereo as well.

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I never knew about this!

And I guess this explains those 'boots I keep seeing in.... that store that shall go nameless.

It's just constantly amazing what one can learn on this forum!!! :cool:

15. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I'm sure it came down to money.

Anyone else think that Shea should be shown in movie theaters before coming out on DVD? (Of course the way the Beatles release stuff I won't expect anything new for 4 or 5 years...not counting Let It Be, if it in fact comes out this year).

17. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

They used to show Shea at "midnight movies" in the 70's. Ususally paired up with Mystery Tour or Yellow Submarine.

18. RetroSmith

Ya think?

>>>>>.You wonder why people bother listing something lie that at 350,000 then pay the listing fee. I mean, do they really expect anybody to bid? You can get the same film Color corrected and restored for 100$ if you know where to look.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Maybe Brian wanted too much money to broadcast them? Money is usually the reason...

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

They were so close at that time that they practically DID live together!

21. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I'm speculating that back then, American Television just wasn't *ready* - in a corporate and cultural sense - to devote a big block of airtime to a live "rock n roll" concert. While Beatlemania certainly was a huge youth craze, I don't know if network sponsors really equated that with an increase in the "bottom line" (teenagers running out to the supermarket to buy tons of Ivory Soap). It really wasn't until the early-70's that corporate America realized "Hey, we could make a ton of money off of consumers who happened to be hippies. Wasn't the first California Jam concert planned with TV coverage in mind?

Jim W.

22. Steve Hoffman

But, but, but, the first Sullivan show that had the Beatles on it was the highest rated show in Television history. Did the execs forget that?

23. RetroSmith

How true!!

You know, during the time The Beatles were playing, not one major crime was commited in AMERICA by a teenager. Can you imagine what that says?

24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Point well taken, but so was the broadcast of the first lunar landing. Certainly, that first Ed Sullivan performance was a big musical/cultural blip on the exec's radar. But neither they (nor anyone else, for that matter) realized that it would have staying power.

Jim W.

25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

If The Beatles had been signed to RCA Records, I bet we'd have quite a few NBC Beatles specials to watch.

Just a thought.
    Dan C

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.