Why weren't Beatles' concerts broadcast on American television?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I figured they'd use Ikegami cameras.
    Dan C

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Steve:

I suspect it may have at least initially been a union thing. Capitol was all set to audio-tape the group's Carnegie Hall concert in 1964, but that idea was killed by the one of the American unions (I **think** it was the Musician's Union, but someone else may remember more clearly).

Also, though we've elevated them to demi-god status now, at the time, they were (at best) a curiosity to the generation of people who ran network programming, which in 1964 was not yet quite ready to pander to the teen market. I mean, "The Patty Duke Show" was pretty much considered to be cutting edge youth-oriented programming at that time.

By the time the networks did smell the $$$ that kids represented, it was about 1966, and I don't think there's anyway the group would've agreed to have one of their concerts taped for US consumption. It was too big a market, and their 1966 performances didn't exactly cast their musical skills in the best light. Lennon, in fact was telling his German friends not to see them when they played **there** that year, because he was so embarassed with the way they were playing live.

So, there's no one answer that fits, I suppose-- but the same question could be asked of Elvis' career as well. I don't think I've ever seen a complete film or tape of one of his 50's shows... and he was barnstorming all over during '56-'57.

-Kevin

3. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

I have always wondered why the picture and sound quality of that Melbourne gig was so good compared to the other ones extant.I always wondered how they managed to isolate the screams so well,maybe the engineers who worked on that broadcast had their own tricks and secrets.??:D

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Re: Re: Why weren't Beatles' concerts broadcast on American television?

They just padded down the microphones and put a compressor in the signal path, before the signal left the control room. Other than at Melbourne, only the Ed Sullivan engineers thought to do that. Every other broadcast just used the console overload as "limiter". Listen to the dreadful Washington DC audio (from the closed circuit video segment); this is the worst case of console overload I've ever heard!

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Just my two cents' worth here...

Could it have been that network execs--by and large--had a certain contempt for the longhaired british, and rock acts in general? Easy to forget how conservative a crowd there was among the older generation back then. Yes, there was "Shindig" and "Hullaballoo" but those were different in scope, just as Sullivan's was a pure variety show in every sense of the meaning. Maybe the opportunities were there but, except for Shea, they didn't want any part of it regardless of the ratings possibilities. Or maybe the venues the lads generally played weren't conducive to TV broadcast--lighting, equipment, audio, etc.? Other countries seemed to have no problem with this, however...

Maybe it was money; maybe the Shea special was a fluke, and the band felt otherwise obligated to play only for Sullivan when it came to US TV...

ED:cool:

6. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Re: Re: Why weren't Beatles' concerts broadcast on American television?

Gary,
    You know the name, Look up the number!! Of that nameless store~:laugh: Oh but No dancing PLEASE!!!!!!!:D :laugh: ;)

7. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Ed,the U.S was way ahead of Australia I'm told.You had more everything, TV,etc.. Australia would have been far more conservative from what I'm told.I agree with Steve in that it was just purely a money factor,a radio station in Adelaide paid NEMS (Brian Epstein's company) a nice fee and the Adelaide show was broadcast and a TV station paid a fee and telecast the last Melbourne show.****,they(the band) had to make money somewhere when the band toured here they were still touring on the contract signed the year before,when they exploded in the U.S Epstein could have (or should have) threatened to cancel or renegotiate at considerably improved terms but didn't.Promoter Kenn Brodziak expected it but BE said he would honour that contract of 1500 pounds per week (even though the band were earning 50K a night touring the U.S),they played 6 gigs in Melbourne alone,Brodziak has always spoken fondly of the band and in particular Epstein ever since,I wonder why ??? :laugh: :laugh:

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That's funny and, in a way, sad, too. As great as Brian was at making the Beatles into the international phenomenon they became, he didn't exactly take care of them financially the way he could have--likely because he didn't hire an advisor/attorney to negotiate the monetary aspect of some of the deals that were made(the ancillary merchandising deals, most of all). Even so, who could have known just how explosive it would all become? I have to say I admire Epstein for honoring previous commitments without renegotiating; in other words, to him, a deal was a deal. May sound naive, but I find that not only admirable, but something to emulate. Unless it could have really hurt financially(and all the lads sooner or later cleaned up pretty good, as we know), maybe Epstein did the right thing. No wonder he's spoken so fondly of, in life and in death:)

ED:cool:

9. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I agree. Brian may not have been the greatest businessman, but it was very admirable of him to honor his agreements.

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Not only that, but many other managers could've signed them and totally messed them up. Had that happened they may have still been playing at the Cavern Club in '66 instead of recording Revolver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.