Why will a DVD play (properly) on one player but not another?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrMudPuppy, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Why will a DVD will play (properly) on one player but not another?

Under the visual arts section of this site I posted a thread on the new G3 Live in Denver DVD. My Sony DVP-S7700 DVD player was having a consistently difficult time with some parts (frames) of the DVD. The picture and audio would break up - looking very similar to when HDTV broadcasts go bad (heavy pixelating). I went through three (3) copies and experienced the same problem on each disc at the very same frame (or frames). I tested the DVD on another cheaper, but newer Sony player and it had no problem. I tested it on two (2) computers and, again, no problem.

My question is why? Is my Sony DVP-S7700 DVD not able to read the disc properly (e.g., poor disc reflectivity)? Is it not able to process the data properly (e.g., different MPEG-type compression that my machine can't resolve)? Where is this problem most likely happening in the "chain of events".

Any ideas and thoughts are appreciated!
  2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort Staff

The 7700, as I recall, is about a second-generation DVD player (I owned a 7000 for a few years)... one of the issues that persuaded me to finally swap my player (which had the region-code & macrovision defeat switches in it!) was that it was announced that there were changes in DVD authoring coming up that were going to make playback of certain discs somewhat problematic.

And indeed, that was the case. Eventually more and more new DVDs had compatibility problems, and it was just easier to buy a new player.

So, your 7700 may just be momentarily choking on some authoring info that it can't digest. It may be a layer change flag, an alternate angle flag... you get the idea. But it's obviously something that's more easily handled by newer decks.

Personally, I dont mind the new Sony 325... it's not progressive scan (thought the next model up is), but it plays almost anything I put into it! Currently, I use it to check my DVD-Rs.

Hope this helps!

-Kevin
  3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Holding Pattern

And of course the first film that gave earlier decks trouble was none other than THE MATRIX....with others to follow, natch. That's probably a good DVD to use as a test before you buy, RED PLANET I've heard was another one...if either is hard to navigate--or won't play at all--obviously, not the deck for you.

ED :ed:
  4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My Pioneer DV45A plays anything I've thrown at it so far. For years, though, I struggled with both a first-gen Toshiba and a Pioneer DVL-700 (LD/DVD). Between the two of them, I could usually get a disc to play, but there were always issues on one player with some discs that wouldn't affect playback on the other player. Had to keep both in my system until I got a new player.

Reportedly there is a firmware upgrade for my old Pioneer, but I wonder if it's even worth it...
  5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Holding Pattern

When we bought my two brothers their first DVD players--$200 Sony decks--we were offered a 'service contract' that included any Firmware upgrades that might come along....didn't bite, since I figured--so far, correctly--that it would take a few years before any DVD's would come out to give the decks any problems.

ED :ed:
  6. Kevin,

You nailed it... the exact places the problems occur are at the beginning and ending of an alternate angle flag graphic, that by default is surpressed (I found it in the bonus materials portion of the DVD).

Thanks for the info and tip!!!
  7. JoelDF

JoelDF Active Member

That's what's happening to you. An older player that can't keep up with newer authored discs.

All DVD's are supposed to follow certain "standards" but with so much stuff getting thrown in on these little platters, the authoring gets a little tweaked and some of the older players cough on them.

Ed's right about "The Matrix" being one of the first big problem DVDs. Disney's "Dinosaur" was another one - causing occasional pauses in the middle of a scene and you had to un-pause it every time it did it.

My older Pioneer DV414 (which I still use) so-far still handles every disc without any problems - except the first release of "The Quite Man". Besides the crappy video which can't be helped, I get no sound from the 414. But the same disc plays fine in my other two newer players and the DVD-Rom drives in my computer and my wife's computer - go figure.

One of those newer players, a Panasonic 5-disc DVD changer was one that choked on "Dinosaur"
  8. vibes

vibes New Member

I've never had any problems with standalone DVD players, but have had trouble with some discs on computer DVD players. For example, I've never gotten the second disc of "The Ten Commandments" to work on any computer DVD player.
  9. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I had a late model 5 disc changer (don't remember the make) that wouldn't make it through a single movie without some kind of glitch and skip to the beginning of the next chapter. This got really aggrevating and I figured that it had to do with the poor quality of the rentals that I was getting from Netflix. I would wash ALL of my rentals, yet had only limited success in combating the problem.

Then I bought a Pioneer 563-A for the SACD and DVD-A capability and voila! -- No more decoding problems. I've had MAYBE two glitches since I bought it 6 months ago.

I also discovered along the way that it had some serious problems with some very well made CD-Rs.

So the player, older OR new, can DEFINITELY make a difference in playback.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)