Why won't MGM/UA Reissue a DVD of "The Compleat Beatles"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mr_mjb1960, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That's the version I have. Despite its age, it is still copy-protected. :( At least I can't make a back-up copy with a standalone DVD recorder.

2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I had forgotten about that! I think it was one of the first copy-protected VHS tapes I had.

3. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

The second release, which I have, could be copied onto dvd-r.

4. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I have the VHS as well. I do remember some audio issue for a minute or segment. I can't recall what it was, but I do think it's a solid overview for a more limited time.

5. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

The way I used to get around this was to use an older VCR that didn't recognise the Macrovision signal. This would be most VCR's made in the 80's and early 90's.

6. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I had the CED(RCA Selectavision) and Laser Disc. Just checked You Tube, they have it up in 12 parts!

7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

For old times sake, I put on the laserdisc last night.

8. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly. Pre-Internet, pre-full Apple/Beatles involvement, The Compleat Beatles was great for its time, but I think nostalgia makes it more valuable than it really is. The info about the Liverpool/Hamburg/pre-EMI days was the doc's strong point, but it's almost as though the year 1966 is passed off as just a year of discontent.

9. maxwelledison1

maxwelledison1 Senior Member

I have the copy-protected VHS version but I was able to make a DVD-R copy by waiting a split second into the program before I hit the record button. All other attempts failed if I tried to record before that first sound. I was also using that old Radio Shack black box hacker.

Jose Jones likes this.
  10. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I had no idea there copy protected VHS tapes. :eek:

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You can trasnfer it to digital with no problem on a computer with a good video capture card. Macrovision has three different kinds of copy protection, including dodgy sync, the brighter-than-white pulse, and tweaking the colorburst signal. They've made literally billions of dollars on this stuff, but in truth, it's not that hard to get around it.

Jose Jones and heatherly like this.
  12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I like the conciseness of THE COMPLEAT BEATLES and bought it on LaserDisc and it's since been transferred to DVD-R. It's great to pop in and get through The Beatles' story in under two hours.

Harry

heatherly likes this.
  13. peteham

peteham Senior Member

It's a different film. I can't say it is better.

14. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I remember Paul a few years after said something to the effect that they had talked about doing a "Long and Winding Road", various things happened so another group came in and did "Compleat". The impression I got was he thought it was decent but brief. Kind of surprised it sold well.
    This also came out just when VCRs first became affordable to the middle class. In 1976 Sony did massive advertising for its new BETA, showing a guy switching channels but missing a triple play. At the time I was working an evening shift job (4:18 PM to 12:48 AM) and a whole bunch of us said we buy one.as soon as it became affordable ($500 as compared to the $1,000+ they were in 1976). Plus there is also the rather curious thing that you can rent video but not audio.

heatherly likes this.
  15. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

This was pre-digital era. We take it for granted now, but it must have been a challenge to retain quality over multiple analogue generations, especially if copy or production masters were used instead of original tapes, and it clearly shows on this movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.