Why would one have $5K+ gear into $100 Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

It is correct system hierarchy, but a bit extreme.
    The most flat earth systems were LP12/Nait/Linn Kans - that was about 50%/35%/15%

My LS5/9s cost nothing so where does that put my system :)

bhazen likes this.
  2. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

The issue of the % to spend on components is difficult for me to have a opinion about now, as I bought the core of my system in 1987 and I presume the amount you have to pay for the same outcome may have shifted.

In 87 I bought LP12 Ekos Troika, Naim 62 Hi-cap 250, Linn Sara 9s and added the Lingo when that came out. Too long ago to remember the cost but pretty sure my deck and amp both cost more than my speakers.

I had to sell the LP12 in 2009, I bought my Meridian 507 in 2003, since then my REL Stadium III has been added. So no idea how those % would be now.

Having had my speakers for 30 years I know everything has to be set up right or my speakers won't sound close to what they can achieve. That's a potential problem with a good speakers they do reveal both great and poor.

bhazen likes this.
  3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Ha ha! Much more modest speakers in the LR (Living Room).

Bedroom1: UBP-X800 CD transport -> Schiit Gungnir MB DAC -> Scott 299C -> Harbeth M30.1

Bedroom2: Sony UHP-H1 CD -> Marantz 2238B -> Harbeth P3ESR w/ SVS sub

LR: VPI Scout w/Ortofon 2M Blue -> Ear 834P clone -> McIntosh C712 -> McIntosh MC7270 -> JBL 4425

Computer Room: Dell PC -> Ashly LX308 preamp -> (2) Crown PS-400 power amps -> JBL 4311BWX

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

Any preference of your systems? Or, all are great and simply depends upon your mood.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Percent spend rules of thumb often can lead astray. Up until recently I had a fine sounding system that had very expensive ARC electronics paired with $2K Magnepans. It sounded wonderful. I think its more about speaker and amp synergy and having one more vastly pricey than the other often is irrelevant.

bhazen and Helom like this.
  6. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

I've never quite understood why people were so interested in filling out the profile. First off, there is no way to verify anyone's equipment (that's what she said). Anyone can just google stereo equipment and fill in whatever they want. Secondly, it seems to be a d*ck measuring contest. In today's climate, a lot of people have limited funds when "real life" takes precedence over the luxury of good quality audio. Just because someone can't afford to buy a high end system doesn't mean they don't have a good ear or are not knowledgeable about good quality systems. I know that I have had to piece together my system and then had to sell certain pieces off to pay bills and then had to build back once the funds became available again.

7. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

If I had small children at home (or destructive puppies or cats), I might be tempted to put the good speakers away for a while and use something more disposable until circumstances changed.

patient_ot and Dave like this.
  8. BIGGER Dave

From Steve Hoffman:

“Time to make this official:

To those of you who are are posting as regards to sound quality of CDs, SACDs, DVDs, LPs, 45s, etc., this is for you. If you're going to advise someone to spend their money on something that you are recommending for sound quality, please fill out the part of your profile that states what you listen to music on. It's only fair and responsible to do so. Don't be intimidated. Not everyone has a groovy stereo system who hangs out here. Click on "User CP" up at the top of the page, and "Edit Profile".

You can critique someone's work listening on a boom-box or your little computer speakers, that is fine, but we must be able to know it and take in to account that a complaint about "too much (or too little) bass" might need to be taken with a grain of salt.

At any rate, don't be shy. I used the same simple system for years: It was (before I upgraded it in the middle 1990's): Pioneer 1010 receiver, AR3a speakers, Pioneer 12-D turntable with Shure V 15 cartridge and a Sansui CD player all put together with lamp cord and "Shack" type wire. I loved the system, and it is still going strong at Ex-DCC-er Marcia McGovern's house.

So if you use computer speakers, what kind? If you just have earphones or earbuds, what kind? Help us out. If you do not wish to fill out your equipment profile, so be it but your critiques might be removed.

Sorry for this but we asked nicely and some of you responded in kind which is appreciated. Others, not so good.

Mastering engineers have careers and record companies have a lot riding on your reviews of product here. If you are going to be in charge of making or breaking one or the other, please at least do us the courtesy of filling out what gear you are listening on. It doesn't mean your gear has to be great, but your readers have a right to know your system when you submit a detailed analysis. We appreciate it.”

Aug 7, 2010

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...g-your-equipment-profile.224254/#post-5692530

SirMarc, bhazen, Dave and 1 other person like this.
  9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Why would this even cross your mind? This is an enthusiast forum.

Why would this even cross your mind? This is an enthusiast forum. Sincerely, it's a real shame this is what you would think about those passionate about music and the gear we use to reproduce recordings.

Do you assume the worst in people, generally? This forum is an escape. Any of us are bound to face "real life" problems including death, health problems, and financial concerns. I'm not sure what you mean by "today's climate" though. It is true that hobbies become meaningless when "real life" deals a blow.

SirMarc, bhazen, Dave and 1 other person like this.
  10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

No one is suggesting that putting entry level speakers in a system costing $75,000 can't be satisfactory. I'd hope you agree that it is a misallocation of resources in the case of a "big bang" whole system purchase.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

This very thread is about belittling someone for their choice in speakers. While this forum has been a godsend for me in furthering and fine tuning my appreciation for all things music related, it can also sometimes be a contentious group. And the climate we live in now more than ever is that people are having hard times making it these days. To quote Springsteen, "If Woody Guthrie were alive today, he'd have a lot to write about. High times on Wall Street and hard times on Main Street."

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You can't be serious if your take away from this thread is belittling a forum member seeking guidance on the composition of a component audio system. Sincerely, if you feel this way, then I hope your week becomes much brighter.

SirMarc, dmckean and Dave like this.
  13. BIGGER Dave

Quoted below is what the OP said. The way I read it, the OP was just asking a question. I would think if his intent was to belittle, he would have called out the system’s owner by name.

“I like reading audiophiles equipment in their profiles. Some of the systems exceeds $5K to $10K and higher. They are obviously hearing some very serious music playback. It is a little intimidating. But, why would this one audiophile have over $5K of equipment playing into a $79 a pair speakers? I do not get it. I know this is not an educational post, but........ I read speakers contribute to at least 50% of high or low quality sound.”

dkswaff likes this.
  14. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

What $79 speakers are they?

15. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

Good point. My initial read of the post was a lot more judgemental than after a second read.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. allied333

Respecting the audiophiles privacy, I would rather not say. But at $79 they are certainly junk.

17. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR is a highly regarded speaker for only $100. If the system is both analog and digital it isn't hard to hit $5k. Consider someone in an apartment who is planning to move to a house and does not have room for full range speakers at present.

18. allied333

No judgment here. After all who am I to judge. Be assured that being judgmental is not me. I cannot stand snobs either although my job title & income puts me in that 'could be a snob' category so to speak.

dkswaff likes this.
  19. BIGGER Dave

It happens. I’ve misread posts tons of times.

SandAndGlass and dkswaff like this.
  20. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

PC speakers? Don't be silly boy, daft example.

21. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Followed by...
    Huh? That was a quick reversal, lol.

22. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Hey Guth, your second example actually posted before the first one.

23. Guth

Guth Music Lover

My bad — thanks for pointing it out, but I can no longer edit that post. With the two comments in the correct sequence I find it even more comical.

24. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

These were $49:
    [​IMG]

This was $40 with cartridge:
    [​IMG]

This was $50:
    [​IMG]

...so I think that ratio of prices works out pretty well, actually.

SandAndGlass and JimW like this.
  25. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Well, maybe most of us can just agree that if they have a well thought out $5k front end, they're not hearing all it's capable of regardless of which fantastic $100 speakers they have?? Maybe?:shh:

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.